• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Son's new 7mm-08 Rifle

Started by FOsteology, December 03, 2007, 02:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

Picked up my 12 yo son's new 7mm-08 from HCR this morning.

Remington 700 LSS 7mm-08
Laminated stock cut to 12 3/4 LOP with 1" Decelerator pad
Williams SS 1-pc BDL assembly
Timney trigger
Talley LW Rings
Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36mm Duplex with Alumina flip caps
Metal inside and out coated with NP3

Tips the scale at exactly 8 pounds with four 140gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips

Even with the stock cut and Williams bottom metal, the balance is still butt heavy by just a smidgen. We'll take care of that with a McMillan Mtn. stock once he grows into a full size stock.

Shoots the Federal 140gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips fairly decent...

Need to get some 120gr. TSX and see how well they do. I'm betting  they do just as well.  :wink:

Hawks Feather

Your son is a better kid than I was.  I didn't like recoil then and shooting a 7mm/06 doesn't even sound good today.  I hate any kind of recoil.  the Decelerator pad  would help, but might be a bit too much gun for my Ohio groundhogs.   :biggrin:  It is a nice looking gun.

Jerry

FOsteology

7mm-08 recoil is nada! Just a wee bit more than .243 Win.

Perfect cartridge for kids and women as the recoil is extremely light, but plenty of good loads available for varmints all the way up to Elk.

FinsnFur

Alright, this is getting outta hand. Dave you got too many guns.  :confused:
Wait a sec....is that even possible?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Jim,

There is no such thing as too many guns.  Unless they are being aimed at you.

Fos,

I was thinking that this round was based on an 06 case rather than a .308 case.  I just started looking at loads and they started around the mid-30s for the 140 grain bullet and even the tops were in the high 30 to low 40 grain range.  That would not be bad at all.  My .243 had around 40 grains of powder, but that was with a 75 grain bullet. 

Jerry

FOsteology

Jerry,

Yes indeed, it's based on the .308 case. Very mild cartridge.

Remington now loads a 140gr. Core-Lokt PSP Reduced Recoil load. Remington claims 2300fps out of a 24" barrel. This rile sports a 22" barrel, so it should leave the muzzle somewhere around the 2250fps range. Extremely light on the shoulder (somewhere between a .22-250 and .243 on felt recoil), but still should be more than adequate for deer out to 150+ yards. Going to see how well they shoot out of this rifle and have my boy do some practicing next month.

William

FinsnFur

William!  :huh: :doh2: :doh2:

You signed that post on purpose didnt you?  :laf: Why did I think your name was Dave?
Ok, well we got that aired.  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Smith

I am in the process of getting the wife a 7mm-08 in a Savage. She shoots my 270 but doesn't like the recoil. She shot her 22-250 for deer for a season, she found out why I didn't like it for deer(dont put them down as well). :doh2: I hope she gets along with this one.

Lucas
Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...

FOsteology

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 03, 2007, 06:27:19 PM
William!  :huh: :doh2: :doh2:

You signed that post on purpose didnt you?  :laf: Why did I think your name was Dave?
Ok, well we got that aired.  :biggrin:

:biggrin:

Lucas,

I'm sure your wife will be comfortable shooting the 7mm-08, and you'll be pleased with it's performance on deer.

HuntnCarve

I pretty much have a whole stable full of the cartridges based off the .308 Winchester.  I do love my 7mm-08.  It gets the job done, and has never let me down.  Another good round is the .260 Remington.  A tad less recoil than the 7mm-08.  But with a great BC and Sectional Density.  It would be another excellent round to look at if recoil is an issue. 
Regardless, you put together an excellent rifle/cartridge combination for your son Fos!  Heck!  He's set for just about anything that roams this continent.

FOsteology

You know Dave, I thought long and hard about building him a .260 instead of the 7mm-08. 125gr. NP works mighty fine with this cartridge.

Only issue I saw with the .260 is that it's honesty a hand loading proposition as good factory ammo is few and far between, not to mention anemic. 7mm-08 is quite popular, and factory ammo is easily found on most shelves.

Perhaps someday when I have a bit more secure space and time, I'll venture into the realm of rolling my own.

caller223

Bill, great looking rifle and lucky son to have dad like you.
Richard Grantham

Jimmie in Ky

Way back when I was looking for a bolt gun to hunt deer , I looked all th options over for a long time. The 7mm-08 was mianly a handloaders weapon back then if you wanted a variety of rounds . Remington was th only one rolling them.  I still chose it over all options and wouldn't trade it for anything made today. In my opinion you made the perfect choice. I believe it can handle anything you want to hunt with it. Jimmie

5 SHOTS

Quote from: Hawks Feather on December 03, 2007, 06:10:40 PM
Jim,

There is no such thing as too many guns.  Unless they are being aimed at you.

Jerry
:holdon: I thought the same thing until I spent some more time thinking about it.  :wo: If you open your front door and you can't get far enough inside to close it again THEN you own TOO many guns.... :nofgr:  Thanks for letting me clear that up for you.  :biggrin:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

Hawks Feather

Quote from: 5 SHOTS on December 10, 2007, 08:05:39 AM
Jerry
:holdon: I thought the same thing until I spent some more time thinking about it.  :wo: If you open your front door and you can't get far enough inside to close it again THEN you own TOO many guns.... :nofgr:  Thanks for letting me clear that up for you.  :biggrin:

5Shots,

You may be right, but I think that is more of a sign that you need a larger house.   :biggrin:

Jerry

northern coyote

I'm not to big a guy and I love my post-64 M70 winchester featherweight, it has dropped 3 of my 4 deer so far, the farthest one at 86 yds. and he only went 30 yards when i used Rem Core-lokt 140 PSP's and my buck from this year dropped like a hot tater at 15 yards using the same round
I'm learnin' and I've got nothin' but time

Varmitdave

The 7mm-08 is a good round.  My nephew has shot a lot of deer with his.  The 260 rem is a good one also.  The ones i shot with it dropped in their tracks.

David Chapman  aka   Varmit Dave