• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Got er done.....

Started by studabaka, February 04, 2008, 10:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

studabaka

Well it took 2 yrs, but I finally got the monkey off my back  :biggrin:

About a year ago I had the pleasure of visiting RagnCajn in Louisiana. I made a long [crow eating] post on that adventure. I drove down for another visit this year on my way to LBL...  :confused: well it's kinda on the way  :shrug: looking for a bit of redemption and to get my first yote. Last year there was fresh sign at every place we called and every day we had a stand or two with yotes coming in. This year there was fresh sign, but the wind was up most days and we weren't getting any takers. First day we make a coupe stands, but nothing. Second day was pretty high winds. On our second stand we had a yote come in and howl/bark at use at about 75 yards across a field in thick cover. The day before Randy had said how he don't howl much. I'm sitting where I can see the foxpro and Randy is sitting 10-15 yards behind me and to my right and we couldn't see each other. The stand is going pretty much BAU when I hear a howl and several barks which sounded like they was coming from the foxpro....  :confused: I'm thinking.... Randy just told me how he don't use howls much..... more howls, more barks.... hmmm.... That's kind of a neat sound, wonder what one it is, sounds really real, might need to get that for my caller  :doh2: The wind shifts a bit ... just enough so I realize  :shck: that ain't coming from the foxpro  :nono: Then I hear Randy on his hand calls start up howling and barking, giving the dog back what it was dishing out.... conversation between them went on for 20-30 minutes and went something like 'Your Mama'.... 'No your Mama'. During the conversation the wind shifted and the dog moved down the field edge to the corner, staying in our down wind, but never sticking his nose out for a peak. No responses on any other stands that day. The next day we didn't even go out as rain in the morning and winds gusting to 30+ MPH. Now, I still got the monkey on my back from missing my shots the year before, but now Randy is starting to feel like one is crawling onto his back as we haven't had one come in yet. We're down to our last day before I head off to LBL. We hunt hard all morning, no takers, we hunt hard all afternoon, no takers..... Randy is feeling that monkey real good now and I'm chalking things up to a great few days of hunting and enjoying time with a good friend. As we get out of the truck at our last stand, I look across the bed of the truck to Randy and say.... 'This is the one'. His look back did not exude certainty with the prospect and his response was a 'I hope so'  :rolleye:

We set near a bend in a levee in a tree line looking across a field maybe 250 yards wide with thick brush on the other side. The levee was to our left and  thick brush dropping into the river was on the right side of the field. We go through our stand and near the end it looks like it ain't gonna happen. Then, in the thicket across the field a group howl begins. The wind is in our face and they ain't barking...... then I hear Randy with a bit of excitement in his voice say with absolute certainty.... 'I can get them in, get ready, settle down, pick a dog and stay on it, wait for it to stop....' He does one lone howl and the dogs immediately shut down. Then he kicks in with pup distress and two dogs come burning across the field. I get on the lead dog and squeeze off when he stops at 72 yards looking straight at me. I hear the thump and see the dog go down. Randy barks at the second dog but it keeps heading for the thick by the river. He starts back up the pup distress and it comes back out, but in a low spot where all you can see is the top half, passes behind a lone brushy tree out in the field and I loose it. Randy says 'I got it' and burns powder. The second dog goes down at near about 200 yards out.

Having that monkey gone feels good.....and I'm guessing Randy is feeling good it didn't take up residence with him  :thumb2: :yahoo:

I headed out the next morning in the pouring rain for LBL..... but that's another story  ;yes;

"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

possumal

Glad to hear that chimp has jumped back up a tree.  Congrats to ya! :highclap:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

HaMeR

Quote'Your Mama'.... 'No your Mama'.
,,  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Excellent write up Stu!! Nice lookin coyotes too!! Congratulations on what will be the 1st of many for you!!  :congrats: :congrats:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Congrats, Stu!    :yoyo:   I'm glad ya didn't drag that monkey up to LBL!   :biggrin:  Who knows who he would'a jumped on.  :roflmao: 

I finally got rid of mine last Thursday.   :biggrin:

Jimmie in Ky

No wonder you were wore out at the LBL. Randy makin'g ya pack both them dogs like that, he should be ashamed of his se'f :eyebrownod:

Congrats Stu, it do feel good don't it  :biggrin: Jimmie

Hawks Feather

FinsnFur

Nice job Buddy :yoyo: Congratulations!  :wink:

Thanks for sharing the story. Hey you stand there holding them like they dont weigh anything....or was that after they were gutted and ready for the grill?  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

:laf: There was a lot of teeth gritting going on through that pic taking, though you couldn't scrap that grin off my face with a paint scrapper  ;yes; It took him a few tries to get one with the dogs actually off the ground  :roflmao: but a well timed click sure makes me look mocho  :hahaha: hey I just looked again and I'm still holding them dogs up and grinning.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

HaMeR

Quote:hahaha: hey I just looked again and I'm still holding them dogs up and grinning.

:roflmao: :roflmao:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bopeye

Quote from: studabaka on February 04, 2008, 05:04:13 PM
:laf: There was a lot of teeth gritting going on through that pic taking, though you couldn't scrap that grin off my face with a paint scrapper  ;yes; It took him a few tries to get one with the dogs actually off the ground  :roflmao: but a well timed click sure makes me look mocho  :hahaha: hey I just looked again and I'm still holding them dogs up and grinning.

I was telling Chet on the way home that you looked bigger this year. Hitting the 'roids eh?  :wink:

I'm proud for ya Stu.........nothing like the first one.  :nono:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

vvarmitr

Well, I finally get the whole story w/o being cut-off or interrupted.  :laf:
I truly know what ya mean about the monkey. After several years of tellingpeople I hunt coyotes w/ nothing to show for it; what a relief to get fur on the floor.

Are ya tanning it or getting it mounted? :shrug:

studabaka

coyotehunter_1

QuoteI hear the thump and see the dog go down.

:thumb2: :yahoo: :thumb2:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

FinsnFur

I just looked again and you dropped one arm :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Roundman

A heck of a story Stu. Keepem coming. It feels good don't it?

wv_yoter

Great story Stu & congrats on the yote :yoyo:
Jason

Frogman

Way to go studabaka.  The one on the left looks like big one.  It's a kick to kill one isn't it.  I don't quite know what it is that puts that big grin on our faces.  It's more exciting than taking a big buck.  Maybe because it is so hard.  I know that this year I could hardly wait for deer season to end so I could get the blaze orange off and get back after the dogs.  Be aware that that monkey can climb right back on you.  After killing my first two last summer I have had a long dry spell til last weekend.  I went over 70 stands without seeing another coyote.  Getting one at LBL with wv_yoters help was just as exciting as the first one.  :biggrin:

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!