• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

How do you get them to stop?

Started by coyote101, February 28, 2008, 12:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I called my first coyote yesterday morning.  At least the first one I have seen. He came out of the wood line at a run.  Not an all out scalded dog run, but a run none the less.  He never slowed down and ran up to within twelve feet of my speaker and decoy.  Then he turned and picked it up and headed back for the woods.  He never presented a walking or standing shot, and I ended up taking and missing a running shot at him going away at about sixty or sixty-five yards. I "woofed" at him as he was going away to try and get him to stop, but he didn't.  I believe once he got as close as he did to my decoy, he picked up my human scent and nothing short of a better aimed bullet than I launched at him was going to get him to stop.

In retrospect, it seems like as long as I'm using a rifle rather than a shotgun, I should have tried to get him to stop as he was coming in before he got too close to the decoy.  If I could have gotten him to stop twenty or thirty yards short of the decoy, I still would have had only a forty or fifty yard shot at a stationary or slow moving target. My question is, does that make any sense, and if so, how do I get him to stop?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HaMeR

It makes perfect sense. He didn't stop on the way out because of the scent. On the way in he wouldn't have caught it yet.

HTH
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

keekee

I have barked, woofed, and howled, even yelled at them to get them to stop. I try and stop them before they get close enought to screw things up...lol....One thing that tends to stop them dead in there tracks if your useing a E-caller is to shut it off. Most of the time they will stop dead in there tracks.

If they are leaving allot of the time they will stop even after they have winded you. Some one I know has a saying..." They always stop....They alway do! " For some reason allot of the Coyotes like to take one last look, why I have no idea but theres been allot of times they have slowed up or stoped for one last look and payed for it.

Brent

FinsnFur

Another thing to keep in mind is, a lot of people dont realize how relevant the actual "woof' is.

You can woof, and sound like a 400 pound German Shepard, and to a young timid coyote...that means get the hell outta Dodge or get your ass kicked. I've watched em turn tail and scoot.

Try to keep your woofs slightly higher pitched, so the coyote doesnt feel threatened by it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

CCP

QuoteI have barked, woofed, and howled, even yelled at them to get them to stop.

+1

I have even waved at them.  ;yes;
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Rich

coyote101,

Was your caller screaming the pinched nuts blues for the whole time?  I have never been able to stop them  when the caller was playing unless I shot them dead.  My old Johnny Stewart MS-512 didn't have a remote control, so it just sat out there and screamed til the tape ran out. I had several coyotes run in, circle the caller and leave without missing a step. My old friend Monte Dodson made more than a little bit of fun over that deal. "Don't wait for them to stop, SHOOT EM" he said. His words got me started shooting at the runners. It took me awhile, but I did learn to connect on the running coyotes. A 90 grain Sierra "Game King" going 3500 fps will stop them every time if it takes em through the rib cage.  Monte Dodson is a trapper, and he usually didn't want my coyotes, because of the blood on the fur. I once made a texas heart shot on a texas coyote with an 85 grain Nosler ballistic tip out of my .25-06. Not a sign of either entry or exit wound, and no blood. I took the coyote back to Monte's trapping camp. Monte agreed to skin that one. Next time I saw old Monte, he said "Man Oh Man, you would not believe the damage inside of that coyote."   :biggrin:   :roflmao:
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

coyote101

Thanks guys; that's exactly what I needed to know.  Now if I can only get a chance to put your advice to use before too long. I'd sure like to be able to post a picture that's got a dead critter in it!

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Jrbhunter

If you're not concerned about something obstructing your opportunity to kill him weather he trots a little, walks some more or locks up immediately: just woof at him.  If he's weaving through trees or there's a chance he'll stop in a bad place somehow: there is a safer way to stop him with an ecaller- that'll leave yourself the option of continuing reel him in when a little extra coaxing is necessary.

If he is coming to silence: start the sound.  If he is coming to the sound: stop it.   If you do this at the right time, the coyote will stop and assess the situation (since it's changed on him) but will not be any less committed to the original goal (pouncing on the caller).

Sometimes sound makes them move, sometimes sound makes them stop.

Sometimes silence makes them move, sometimes silence makes them stop.  

Woofing will rattle the whole situation and often change his comfort level and his motives.   Those of us hunting the big woods are all to familiar with that "I shouldn't have woofed" feeling as a coyote stops at 40 yards behind a tree.... knowing his next move is going to be back the way he came or veering downwind of this new sound source.  With a remote operated sound source you can manipulate the break rotors on most coyotes.  The more callshy they are: the more predictably they'll start/stop on command.  Completely virgin coyotes, in great calling conditions, are sometimes unstoppable using this method.  

I howl in many coyotes each year that only heard a distress sound because I needed something to stop them with.  If they stop in a bad place as the sound begins- I know they'll continue on a "positive" path when the sound stops.   Coyotes coming to silence are my favorite.

bigben

I do not have much on the ways to stop a coyote because all the coyotes I have called in seen me when I seen them or they were sitting in the woodline watchin allready.  but for fox if I am hand callin a whistle like a "yoohoo" has allways stopped em right in there tracks.  if I am using a ecall the mute button allmost allways does it.  I would have to imagine a coyote is the same. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

possumal

Coyote101:  You have it pegged pretty good. You let him get too close and he winded you.  I have had that happen a few times and they may stop and take a quick peek back at long range, and if you are prepared for it, you get an opportunity to make a long shot.  Turning off the ecaller, as Brent said, will usually stop them in their tracks.  I keep a Sceery special coaxer taped to my rifle stock, and I have squeaked that thing a time or two and stopped them dead in their tracks at 150 to 200 yds.  Once you let them get too close like you did on this one, being prepared to hit one running is about your only chance.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

keekee

Don't forget the shotgun! Let them run right up in your face and drop the smack on them! Coyotes are allot easier to hit on the run with a shotgun. Heck, I have a hard time hitting them standing still with a rifle!....lol

Honestly, a shotgun is way over looked here in the East, but you haft to set up for it if you use it.

Brent

KySongDog

The two yotes I called in at the LBL came in hard and fast. I was set up in the woods and they were on us in no time.  I fumbled around and hit the pause button on the Minaska and they instantly stopped about 40 yards out. Enough time to put the shotgun on one of them.  My buddy was asleep at the switch or we would have gotten both of them. 

Turning the ecaller off definitely worked in that situation. 

Semp

Frogman

Good thread guys.  This is very helpful.   :congrats:

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Jrbhunter

Sometimes you just have to pray:

I called up a huge male this afternoon in a spot that's been very difficult to call this year.... he charged in after 60 minutes of calling, circled the caller in overdrive at 40 yards, and headed out without any acknowledgement of my silent caller/woofing/screaming and pup distress. 

For whatever reason: just as he prepared to cross over the second ridge out he stopped in a 4' wide window... leaving me enough time to touch the trigger and drop him freehand at 100+/- yards.  You could've parked a VW Bug anywhere in that woods to the left or right and I couldn't have told you what color it was- but he stopped (on his own) in a picture perfect window.

That's just more proof god hates coyotes.

Randy Roede

Pat , there is no black and white answer to this question as you can tell by now from the posts.

What you will see in coyotes is coyotes coming to only prey sounds in early fur season are mostly pups. They are coming expecting only to find prey and a woof can put the fear of god into them. That woof is very familar to them as it is what mom or other adults do when they have had enough of pup howling etc and it shuts them up. This woof will not be as alrming to older coyotes coming in or multiple coyotes, in fact it may do just the opposite.

Vocalizations in mating season etc with adult coyotes paired up etc. Jan. Feb. time frame then distress makes the coyote believe before he gets there that another coyote will be present. He has an idea of what lays ahead of him. If you see these charges that the existing adults put on these outcast coyotes at this time of year you will understand why these coming into the call are very hard to stop if you can do it at all. Anytime you add any vocalizations in a stand you add issues.

You can usually tell at about 100 yards that he is not going to stop and prepare for a running shot. Not an option for you guys hunting in the thick stuff sometimes.

Brent, one of my favorites on these chargers is " Hey coyote you SOB" got a couple killed on video saying that actually!!

It's different here in the fact we can see them for long distances in very open country most of the time. We do hunt the river bottoms etc. and it is similar to the east but still different.

Good luck Pat

TNyoteboy

Ever thought about whistling? Whisltle at a dog and see what he does, stops on a dime and looks at ya. One thing I don't think you mentioned before was that.
Great hunter...Yes?....Yessss
Fine figure of a man?....Yes
That is all you need to know...for now!

bootmud

I once called in a coyote that came busting in to a coyote pup dist sound on my FX3.  The caller was sitting on a round hay bail about 40 yds in front of me.  I was set up a row back in standing corn.  By the time I saw the coyote he was half way across the field, he circled the bail and headed right back to the woods.  The woods were only another 40 yds behind the bail.  I also gave the coyote a fleeing shot with the .204 cause i couldn't get it to stop with a bark.  After the coyote entered the woods it proceeded to scold me for the next 5 min. by barking it's head off. :eyebrownod:

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

The Rock

I use alot of things to stop them but, the 25-06 is as good as anything.  :eyebrow:

coyote101

QuoteI use alot of things to stop them but, the 25-06 is as good as anything.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Pat
NRA Life Member

possumal

Jim hit on an important point on the "Woof" deal.  Don't do it too loud.  It doesn't take much to stop them if they are going to stop at all.  Just a short "Woof", whistle, or a squeak or two on a coaxer and they will usually stop.  Turning off the ecaller will usually stop them dead in their tracks, but I have seen a few take off at full speed when you mute it.  Smart rascals for sure!
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff