• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Help with setup

Started by wvlnmn, March 01, 2008, 11:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvlnmn

I have made approximately 50 setups with no success.  If anyone could look at this particular area and give me some suggestions. The green line on the left is a creek. It sets on a lower level than the fields. The black circle at the bottom is where I park at. The blue circle in the left field is where I saw a coyote in deer season. The red lines in the middle and right fields are when it snowed I saw where four coyotes traveled the length of the field, at times a coyote would break out of the pack to check out a rock pile or fence row then rejoin the pack.The yellow east and west line is where I see coyote tracks traveling in both directions.The north east red circle is where I hear them howling at after dark. The wind blows towards the northeast and the east. The skinny east west field at the bottom is on a higher level than the other fields.  Any help at all would be appreciated. 

iahntr

Just curious, what are we talkin size wise here?
How far is it from the black circle, to the red circle?
Scott

wvlnmn

Approximately 1000 yards.  Just guessing, each field is about 400 yards

possumal

The red circle up in the N/E corner where you hear them howl in the early evening is most likely their bedding/denning area. I would want to make a stand watching that "Entry point" to the open area.  If using an ecaller, I'd want it placed favoring the opposite side of that point with a decoy.  If you can find a place to sit that is far enough towards the South end of the field on the S/E side, your scent shouldn't get carried directly to them.  If you are using hand calls, you are faced with a tougher decision.  If there is a high enough point on the opposite side of the field where you'll see them coming before they get to the point of picking up your scent, you should have time to stop them for a shot.  The red lines you have there sort of indicate normal entry points and travel paths when they hunt that area near their bedding ground.  One of the new coyote decoys combined with some coyote urine might be just dandy there. We recently fooled a real smart one with that technique in a similar setup.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Rich

I keep looking at that timber line on south side of the fields.  As you walk along north edge of that timber, there appears to be a spot where the timber juts out into the fields.  When wind is out of the west, try parking your butt at the end of that point of timber where your scent is blown out into the open field.  Set caller and decoy about fifty yards north of you and let it scream. Looks good to me.  :wink:
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

wvlnmn

Thank you both for your comments, Ill try both suggestions.

DirtyDog

Quote from: wvlnmn on March 01, 2008, 11:22:07 AM
The wind blows towards the northeast and the east.

If the wind is blowing TOWARDS the NE, then it is blowing your scent into area before you even get in there and they know it. An Eeasterly wind isn't as bad, but I would wait for a favorable SW wind to hunt that area.  :wink:

KySongDog

:confused:  If the wind is blowing TOWARD the northeast or east, (which means it is out of the southwest or west), then that means that the wind is basically blowing from the black circle at the bottom of the map (where you park) to the red circle at the top of the map. Right through your hunting area.   :nono:   :confused:

If that is true, then you need a North wind or east/west crosswind to park at that black circle.  Or try entering from the north and keep the wind in your face.

Semp

possumal

Giving specific instructions from a picture is pretty tough.  I can see Rich's thinking in this case.  I may have assumed in error that the hunter does not enter the field exactly the same way every time, and that he surely doesn't make a lot of racket in the parking area and immediately walk in there with the wind taking the noise and his scent directly to the bedding area.  If there is no other place to park, and the wind is blowing to the N/E or East, I'd give it some quiet time before even leaving the parking area, and I would approach the field far enough to the S/E end that my scent wouldn't be taken to the N/E corner.  The E/W yellow line with tracks going both ways is probably matched by a similar path somewhere at the north end of the field, as I doubt that the coyotes come all the way to the south end to cross over to the other side every time.  That line represents a typical cross over point after hunting each side and switching over.  That is the major advantage to an ecaller, in my opinion, being able to place it away from you even to the point of your scent path not entering into the equation.  I wish ya good luck with those yotes. Low volume without too much calling might be advisable here too.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Greenside

When dealing with fingers coming out of creek or river drainage's, I would probably set up somewhere in the blue circle. Generally I wouldn't set up in front of the red line but would probably  do  so in this setup. I seldom set up in front of the furthest line that extends from the creek but will make exceptions depending on terrain . I'm thinking that the finger just north of the farm could be ignored  and the  set up might be moved a bit to the west as long as I had a good view of the cut between the two fields.(yellow line) .Disclaimer: I hear this type of setup will not work in the east so it might not apply.

CCP

I would walk down the edge of the lower field. Then cross over the ridge and hunt in the white area. Being on the other side of the ridge it will break the wind and more than likely blow down the draw. This way the coyotes have a secure way of getting to you through the woods. Somewhere in the white box area there should be a opening in the woods or at least an old logging road.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

wvlnmn

I just want to take this time to say thanks to each of you that replied. Your help is appreciated.  I know its hard to look at an aerial map and give advise without knowing the lay of the land.  I just want to get some fur in the scope. Thanks again.