• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

MAD calls

Started by nastygunz, March 04, 2008, 07:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Not I.
Their pretty run of the mill aint they? Their in every store you could imagine except the grocery store.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

Not in NH...I had to do that newfangle internet order thing to get mine, I never heard of them till I was on a hunt with a buddy and he had one and it was a turkey magnet, i use the Heavy Metal and the Aluminator 90% of the time, got my last bird with the Aluminator:

canine

I've used some of there flip over diaghrams before. "Shipwreck" was the name of the one and only, one of the 3 i liked and used. It did have a good sound to it. I don't use a slate hardly at all. 

Ever since Brent (keescalls) started makin diaghram calls for us to use, I haven't bought any others.

Speakin of which.......Hey Brent....I could use some calls... :biggrin:  Season is a comin...got to get em broke in!!!  :biggrin:

JD

Coulter

I agree with Jim on these calls...run of the mill production calls. You can get them in about any store around here here too. I think I have even seen them in Wally-World :iroll: I know they can be found in any Gander Mt., Dicks, Cabela's store. To common for my blood, but I'm sure they do the job they were designed to do.

Steve

nastygunz

And if i may pry, coulter,what might NOT be too common for your use as far as calls? always interested in knowing what folks are using?

FinsnFur

:wink: He makes custom calls. He has the ability to build and tweak to perfection.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

That of course depending on everyones perception of perfection? :eyebrow:

FinsnFur

Perception of perfection... :biggrin:

Yeah everyones going to have different tastes, likes and dislikes. But that's one reason I myself would prefer the custom call, cause most of these guys will build or tune to your liking.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nastygunz

i have a custom crow call from jack mincey, ordered it cuz there were no exceptional commercial calls that i could find. the mincey calls are superb. my question i always ask myself is, if i live in NH and order a custom turkey call for instance, from a call maker in Kansas, how can we communicate as to what i think sounds good on the call if we are not physically there both listening to it?...so if i order it , have it shipped to me, i dont like it, i keep shipping it back until it sounds like what im after?....just some pondering. in the case of the mincey call, as soon as i used it i knew it was right on. if i dint like it i would have shipped it back.

HaMeR

Jack makes slate calls too.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Coulter

Oooops...didn't mean to seem like I was ignoring ya there Nastygunz. I must've missed people posting on this topic somehow. But like Jim said I make my own custom calls...nobody else has them. Well except for the people I have sold them to :wo: I am not putting down anybody for using a store bought calls, I have some myself - I just don't use them anymore. I prefer to use my own calls. There is nothing wrong with MAD calls or any other call along the same lines, they serve a purpose just as any call out there does. I certainly don't claim to make perfect calls either. I do my best with them though. Just like the MAD calls...they serve a purpose as seen in the pic below. Thats my shortbox and crow call I used on this bird last year...

Anyway, what may sound perfcet to me...might not sound perfect to you. We all hear differently and perceive things in different ways. I'm not trying to sell any calls to you, but I do back my calls. If you don't like what I have made I will take it back as long as you want to ship it to me in the same condition as when I sent it to you.

Steve

cb223

I agree nothing wrong with store bought calls, they do work. But in my opinion they are kind of boring, every one else has one just like it. Now  the custom made one's I have look awesome and most are unique.  As far as sound goes I don't know how the makers do it, but I think all of the custom turkey calls I have sound much better than the store bought calls I have.

I recently ordered a custom box call, slate and crow call matching set. I can't wait to see and hear em. I'm gonna kill a Big Ole Tom with em  :eyebrow:   I hope! 

CHAD

DirtyDog

I agree cb223. That is how I feel about predator calls. Every Tom Dick and Harry has a Primos predator call, and probably has some decent luck with them. However I think (and this is just my opinion) that the game gets used to that sound and becomes educated. That is just why I prefer custom.

nastygunz

howdy coulter, beautiful bird!!...well i have to admit im thinking about a custom call :yoyo:...my Mincey crow call proved that sometimes custom is the way to go. I guess one of the things about custom calls that turns me off sometimes, and this is a personal preference, is all the numbering and signing and art work stuff. I like plain and functional, of course i recognize that other have different tastes then mine. I started the MAD thread just because i was curious about anyone else using them, because up here in NH ive never seen anyone use them other then a friend and myself, with good results, im not advertizing for them, and actually use a mouth call more. But now im starting to think custom........hmmmmmmmmmmm........... :eyebrow:

nastygunz

p.s. im guessing for you calling in a bird on a call you made,  must feel like me when i catch a fish on a fly ive tied, great feeling!

Silencer

not to take it off subject, but I tied my own at one time, I still have an old thompson vise around here somewheres.
We'd get a group together when I was a teen and we'd tie flies..   tons of em.  I'd caught alot of trout from our own.

I'd spilt a jar of head cement one evening and instantly got a nick name.... 

Needless to say I dont even see any of them guys at all, most have moved away and I dont blame them at all,
livin in such a small commun there's nothin here. 

One hint an ole timer gave me for dry flies,  dip em in dry gas, er let me say the stuff you burn in the old coleman laterns..,  white gas ????.......... sure as sh** , IT WORKED !!!!!

Coulter

I'll take you guys one step further on the dry flies...there is nothing better than catching your own fur and then tying your own fly and then catching a nice fish with it. Well, the turkey with a call you made yourself ranks up there pretty high too. I still have all of my tying equipment, but I haven't used it in years. I just can't seem to find the time anymore :sad:

If you do decide to go custom - search around a bit and find a call style you like. Then ask questions from the call maker and people that have bought the makers calls. Like I stated, I'm not trying to push my calls on you. I'm just throwing some info your way. By the way, I don't normally sign any of my calls unless I am requested to do so. The only exception to that is my long and short boxes. Each one of them gets signed. The reason behind that is I limit them to 16 of each per year

cb223...you will kill a bird with those calls. Just make sure you do your homework and find some birds to go after before the season opens. :wink: I'm probably going to be cutting the blanks tomorrow...just thought I'd share that with ya and get your saliva flowing a bit. :eyebrownod:

Steve

cb223

I know where the birds are   :biggrin:   I been keeping two eyes on them for about 5 years now. Been filling my tag there every year. I'm thinking about trying my bow this year, at least for the the first few days.

The turkey population has really exploded here in the last ten years, they are everywhere!

The weather is startin to get nice! I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO GET OUT!!!!!!!

This was last years

CHAD

Silencer

Thats a sweet pic CB  :congrats: :highclap: