• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

took the day off Wednesday (pic)

Started by lankrod, March 06, 2008, 10:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lankrod

We had a little snow left on the ground Wednesday morning, so I decided to try and make a call before going to work. I've tried this place in the past, and only had luck at night. After no takers, I'm on my way to work and say what the heck - I've got some credit hours to burn - why not today?

I haven't got out as much as the past few years, and have had my eye on a few places to try - just never had the time. So I figured with the season growing quickly to an end - might as well take it while I can  Called the timber all day - did a lot of walking, and saw some fantastic scenery. At 12:30 I called in a grey fox to within about 6 feet of me - he never saw me, as he was too mesmorized with the Jack in the Box and the bunny blues blaring away.  After about 30 seconds of him standing there, I decided to switch sounds to see if he would get closer to the decoy and caller, which were about 10 yards away. He was so close, and the woods so quiet, he heard the faint click of the button on the remote, and jerked his head, looking right at me!  He glanced back at the decoy - then back at me then split. Fox season is over - but it was a treat to see one - we don't see many at all.

Walked a little farther in the woods and found another good setup. About 10 minutes into call, here comes this female weaving thru the trees. She came straight in - focused on the decoy - and dropped like a sack of bricks from the 12 gauge. 

Called the rest of the day with no takers - but found some promising sign - and excellent setups for future calls - probably next year.

coyote101

Good job, congratulations, and thanks for the story.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

We all need a day off like that :eyebrownod:
Nice.  :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

CCP

Good job lankrod  :highclap: :highclap:

I am taking off work today but Rain, Rain and more rain. I don't think I will have as good a day off as your's was. :madd:

I know it had to be  a treat to watch the gray fox  interact with the caller decoy so close. ;yes;

Edited from red to gray  :wink:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

vvarmitr

WTG Lankrod!!!  :yahoo:
Thanks for the story & pix. :biggrin:

Quote from: CCP on March 07, 2008, 05:56:08 AM
watch the red fox  

Quote from: lankrod on March 06, 2008, 10:17:12 PM
At 12:30 I called in a grey fox

:doh2:  :doh2:  :doh2:  :doh2:  :doh2:  :doh2:

Hawks Feather

It looks like it as a GREAT day off.

Jerry

bootmud

Way to go Lankrod.  Sounds like a perfect day.  No work and fur in the truck! :highclap:

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

Troy Walter

Good job lankrod,nothing better then to take a day off work to go hunting.

Silencer

ErictheRed

QuoteWe all need a day off like that

yeh, they would be nice.