• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

How long do you stay on stand?

Started by alscalls, March 15, 2008, 05:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

If you don't use Photobucket or a program like it, I believe you may have to make sure the picture is resized to be acceptable for use on Websites and messenger boards..  Most likely, it is limited to a certain number of pixels.  Photobucket gives you an easy way to do that, providing a link to copy and paste the Img. to the forum post.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Jimmie in Ky

I hunt diferetn grounds and terrains a lot. So what I do depends on where I am and what the population of the animals may be. In the LBL , it's 20 minutes max. Terrain is so steep and rugged that very few will be within range while I am there and whatever animals may be over the ridge can't hear it anyway.

Where the population is lower and terrain more rolling I do 30 or more minutes on stand. I know they are traveling farther distances to feeder fields . Terrain is more gentle allowing the sound to carry a bit further. I do a bit of homework to find the bedding areas if I can and this makes it more likely one will pass in the time I am there. Jimmie

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bopeye

I guess I'm just gonna have to agree to disagree with some of you. It doesn't mean I think I'm right and you're wrong (even though I do)  :eyebrownod:  It just means we see it differently. All have some validity to them and have given them some thought. I still know that coyotes don't respond too quick around here as a norm, so I will give them time to do so.  :wink:

One more quick thing. This has got to be the first time I ever saw someone hijack their own thread.  :roflmao:
I thought I had jumped to a different thread by accident..............funnier than crap........ :roflmao: :roflmao:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

alscalls

Sorry about that I stopped hijacking my own thread and went over to Jims and met him for the first time and found out I do speak frog :roflmao: I also saw a photo of Bopeye trying to squeeze into a little T shirt that said bite me.......explains a lot. :roflmao: :roflmao: I think I am going to take a frog a hunting soon!!! :yoyo:
I still want to hear what you guys think about those hang ups??? :confused:
And thanks for all your help with the pics Hammer, your truck is just like my wifes come on back and she will pull ya out if ya get stuck in the mud :roflmao:

http://www.geocities.com/alscalls/coyote.html
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

HaMeR

:roflmao:

Frogmans a good guy to hunt with for sure. Even after I irritated him for 3 days!!  :roflmao: :roflmao:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

For me it's usually until both feet fall asleep. Sometimes not until both legs do.
Then I gotta stand there against a tree or something looking like a drunk paraplegic until I regain my composure.
Mannnn that sucks  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: I love it.........I should get something like that on video!! :eyebrownod:
AL

possumal

Jim: I believe most of us have been there, done that.  If you don't be careful, when you first put your weight on that dead foot side, you'll bust your ass real quick.   :roflmao:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Jimmie in Ky

I wonder how much the human population has to do with the response times out in th counties around here. If  a coyote i the LBL hears a call it's there in minutes. There are no houses there , just roads and trees.

I have watched a many a coyote sneak and take their time in the county. Peaking out from behind logs and even stopping to look and check the woods around them as they come in. Only at certain times of year will they howl at sunset on their own without being prompted by me. Everywhere you look now there are lights in the distance letting you know there's a house there. Road traffic is almost constant now even out here where I live and last until well into the night. Human noise is everywhere. Kids screaming, car horns, tractors are just a few of the sounds that you can hear in the distance. That dog it hears may be on it's track or not, they are never sure. Now throw in the terrain and travel distances to safetey to go along with all that. Could our neighbors be our problem with response times ? Jimmie

Frogman

Al,
   I'm looking forward to hunting with you.  We will just have to experiment with some different stand lengths and figure out which length kills the most dogs!  Then we can get all these guys straightened out.   :innocentwhistle:

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

alscalls

I have told many a non hunter that they are in the game whether they want to be or not, cause the coyotes are patterning them to. :eyebrownod: Think about it a vent coming from the house!!.....that animal can tell what you ate how many people are in there and even if those people will harm them or not like I say on my web site if you teach a dog to stay off the couch he knows right away wether or not you mean it! :eyebrownod:
AL

possumal

In my opinion, people building houses in every imagineable place has a tremendous negative effect on coyotes' response.  There are areas around central Ky. where the coyotes are still there, but there free range has been invaded by home builders. Seems like there is a $300,000 home setting about anyplace you can imagine.  They have dogs, kids, and visitors.  It is no accident that they hear coyotes almost every night and occasionally see them cross a field, but they are lots harder to call in now than they were before the building boom started.  The biggest effect it has on my hunting is that it has removed some of the routes I used to have access to when approaching a particular hunting area.  Whereas I used to be able to pick the direction I wanted to come in from, I am now limited to perhaps one direction, and as we know, the wind doesn't always cooperation with a one approach area.  The point is that the coyotes are going to do their thing regardless, but they become much more nocturnal in these areas where they interact with humans more.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Rprince

This is just me........
Some of my best spots are on the edges of new subdivisions & the response time is often very quick. The coyotes aren't spread out & IF they are there that day you can almost pinpoint there location. The first coyote that I killed this year was a big female that I was seeing on my way home from work. I walked about 75 yards behind the guys house & called up 3 house dogs :doh2:, I moved about 100 yards & within 2 minutes I killed the coyote.

There are new houses going up left & right around here & I have lost some good ground but I still hunt around those areas. There may not be as many coyotes as there once was but there are still a few there. I try to get on the edges of the thickets & keep my calling soft, mouse squeaks & bird sounds work pretty well. But like Al said it can be hard to approach those areas without being smelled or seen.

Here's my hi-jack to the thread, how many of you keep calling after you've called up a house dog? I have never called a coyote after dogs have came to my call.

Back to the original topic. Its a rare stand that I sit for over 15 minutes.

possumal

When the subdivision is being built or the individual houses, there is a lot of grading going on.  The coyotes know it is a good place to get an easy meal.  In the case of a complete subdivision, they just adjust and get pushed out more to the country. They are still there, but they just get more nocturnal.  The more negative effects I am describing are where there are big homes built on a 5 to 10 acre plot, spread out a good deal but invasive to a large previously great hunting area.  It creates a situation where they interact much more with people and their pet labs and such.  I tend to do better there when the weather has really been cold, the ground is thoroughly frozen for a week or more, and they are having a hard time getting an easy meal. 
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Jimmie in Ky

I am with you Al. It seems like the only place they want to build is right in the middle of a travel lane. I have a new one next to me. He put it right at the back of the property and a long drive to it, smack in the middle of the travel lane through my place. And the Amish moving in and breaking up the large farms hasn't helped either. Makes access harder to get to some farms as well. Folks are afraid of ticking off the neighbors.

I too switch stands after calling the dogs.

As you can see it just depends on your circumstances where you live. You do what you have too in order to score. Jimmie

alscalls

My buddy Dave and I use house dogs to our advantage If you listen to them carefully you can tell where the coyotes are going to come from. :eyebrownod:
AL

alscalls

A fellow trapper and hunter once told me to listen to the dogs yours or someone elses they know more than you do. :eyebrownod: He had an old coon hound that used to growl when a coon holed up and then she would walk right back to him....Once a newbie asked Why she had come back and my friend knew by the growl that the coon had holed up.
He simply said that is posted ground over there and she wont hunt posted ground. And he never told him any different :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I do not quit when I have called in a house dog I try and pay attention to them and see if they will tell me where the coyotes are.
AL

Bopeye

At the LBL I worked a group of coyotes last year for right at an hour. I would have given up on the stand, but they kept getting vocal with me. When they finally did show up, I fired a couple warning shots with my 10 gauge and left it at that...... :eyebrownod:

Saying a coyote will always do this or that is risky. They are a canine and all animals that come from female canines will make a liar out of you.... :eyebrownod:

Worked a coyote this year at the LBL for a good while, then someone else did the dirty work for me......... :rolleye: :doh2:

Two years ago I was doing a set just above a river that was covered in thick vegetation. I kept catching glimpses of an animal so I just waited. At least a half hour later he showed himself.......tisk tisk... :wink:

Chet and I was hunting last spring and set on sound about 40 minutes or so. It started getting hot so we broke stand. When Chet stood up all heck broke loose. The coyotes that weren't more than 75 yards or so from him didn't like him much...... :nono:
We're they coming in or had they just been laying there.........don't know? I do wish I would have given that stand another few minutes.

All I"m saying is that there are no hard and fast rules.

I've been taking a "short cut" to work for almost a year now. They have put in so many stop lights on my usual route that I was convinced that this other way was quicker. The last two weeks a person I work with and I have pulled up at the stoplight at the same time on 3 different occasions. I took the "short cut" and they took the "usual" path. The've beaten me two out of three times..........wonder which way is better?  :confused:

I'm still taking the dang short cut...........it makes ME feel better........... :laf:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

golfertrout

i think every hunt is different n every yote will do his thing when he wants to do it.
the dog will dictate the the hunt and when it will happen, we as the hunter just have to be out there n hunt. Every dog has his day n every dog has his way, we just have to be out there and try to entercept them. I usualy stay for an hour on a stand and i have had alot come within that hour, sometimes here in WV they have a long ways to travel so i give them time to come in.