• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Favorite time of turkey season ?

Started by BigB, March 30, 2008, 10:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigB

What's everyone's favorite time to hunt turkeys - early season, mid season, or late season?

I've hunted early, mid and late season, and have had the best luck for me in the late end of the season.  It just seems as if the Toms are easier to call and are more willing to come to the call.  Early in the season, they seem to be hen'd up most all of the day and very difficult to call into range. 

Brian

hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

HaMeR

I would have to say early season just because I've had to wait 11 months to go at em agaain. And we can only hunt til noon so I like to get in as many days early as I can. Otherwise I like the whole month.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Silencer

For me its the same response as Hamer  :eyebrownod:  Gearing up all year long for the next season to start. 

I enjoy any time I'm in the turkey woods, sights, sounds, smells... ahhhh great time of year. 

iahntr

For me it kinda depends more on the weather I suppose. It seems it changes from year to year (the birds). Some years they seem more
responsive earlier, some years later.  I hunt private ground so I don't have to worry about huntin pressure.
In Iowa they must think your chances are better the earlier. It's split into 4 "seasons" all running back to back
April 14th thru May 18th. The first season is 4 days long, 2nd season is 5 days, 3rd season is 7 days, and 4th season
lasts 19 days. Unless you bow hunt then you get the full time, the 14th thru the 18th. Thats part of the reason I bow hunt,
I don't have to guess and pick a season.  :biggrin:

edit to say- the birds change from year to year, not the weather.  :eyebrownod:
Scott

FinsnFur

Never hunted em :shrug: Too busy chasin bass in the summer :eyebrow:
But someone better kill some and earn those Cabela cards were givin away :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

cb223

I've had the most luck in the middle of the season but I like it all.
CHAD

KySongDog

Early season seems the best to me. They haven't been called to so much and no turkeys have been shot yet!  :biggrin: Next best would be late season I think.  Mid season is tough because of the dang blamed hens!  I guess it really depends on your area and the timing of the legal hunting days in relation to their mating patterns. 

Semp