• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Smoke & Stainless Steel

Started by THO Game Calls, June 22, 2008, 04:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THO Game Calls

Two piece call, O ring fit, JC Double Stainless Reed. 

This call is not for sale at this time.

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Hawks Feather

Al,

I like the looks of that one.  I really like is the looks of the hammered band.

Jerry

Bills Custom Calls

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

John_NY

What a pretty call. You need to take a break from the store Al and do more turning.

John

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

alscalls

WOW!Ireally like that band Nice call!!! :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

DirtyDog

Simply awsome Al. As usual.  :yoyo:

FinsnFur

Not for sale at this time wtf :doh2:

I like it....I like it a lot
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

ohioyotehntr

Dang Al, That thing sure is a beauty. :bowingsmilie:
Dusty "Dirt" Ford
Dirt's Custom Calls

Yotehntr

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

THO Game Calls

Thanks for the nice comments on the call.

Jim -

This is the first acrylic call I have made with a translucent mouthpiece.  I was not sure how it was going to come out, when I started but it seems to have worked fine.  The inside of the mouth piece is tapered like all of my other calls, and getting it clear was something I was not sure would work, but it did. 

The band is also new.  It is stainless steel so it should never tarnish.  The tennon on the barrel was left a few 1000ths over size and then the band was pressed on with just a touch of glue.  I think you would have to break the call to get the band off.  I then beveled the edges into the call, giving the band a nice rounded shape, and finished it with a hammer type decoratiion which was sanded lightly to take the high spots off and give it a softer look and feel.  I then filed the edges once again to square up the decorative touches so it is even all the way around, and then sanded and polished them to take out the tool marks.  I think it came out very well.  I spent almost as much time making the band as I did the call.

This call is a big step forward in the making of acrylic calls for me.  The clear and translucent mouth pieces have always been a sticking point and this opens up a whole new world of possabilities which I plan to work on the rest of the summer.

What I am trying to tell ya, is I like this one so much I just might keep it and hunt with it this fall.

Thanks again for the comments on the call

Al

Tjones

Real nice ,,,sounds like ya got and hour or two into it huh? :biggrin:
A tracker who hopes to read all the track offers must be astute during discovery and reasonable during interpretation.  Gerry Blair

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

CCP

QuoteNot for sale at this time wtf  :doh2:

I like it....I like it a lot

I agree with Jim

When this one or another like it becomes available for sale please let me know. Al that is surly a beautiful call and I love the stainless band. Are the stainless steel bands something you will use on some of your other calls????
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

LORDDAL

B E A U Tifull that is one awsome looking call love it
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

THO Game Calls

Thanks again for the nice comments on that call.

CCP -

I have been stocking stainless steel bands in the store for other call makers for about a year and a half now, but I probably have not put it on 3 or 4 of my own calls.   I do like it on some of the acrylic colors, but it is hard to work with from scratch.  You can wear out a hack saw blade cutting it and it flat tears up a file.  It takes probably twice as much time to cut and polish a stainless band as it does a brass one.  It's also much more expensive than brass.   It does seem to work with some of the acrylic colors better than the brass bands do, and looks so much better than aluminum that I can't justify not using it on more of my own calls.

Al

iahntr

That's a REAL Beauty Al !!  :yoyo: :highclap:
and it's always a plus when ya know the sound's gonna be there too.  :wink:
Great job!
Scott
Scott

carvercalls

Lonehowl

Al ,great looking call! Stupid question, are you polishing the 9/32 sleeve hole as well? Ive noticed some guys arent doing that? (although it aint that easy)

THO Game Calls

Lonehowl,

I do hit the inside where the sleeve fits with some 220 thru 600 grit lightly, and then use novus polishing compound to clean it up.  The probem you will run into is that the epoxy will leave a slight tint but if you seat it right, no one will ever see it.

You have to take care not to ream out the hole too much or the sleeve will have to be expanded which means the reed will have to be expanded.  The way around that is to use a 1/4" bit instead of 9/32, but I really dont think it is going to make much of a difference once the sleeve is in if it is at least hit with some polishing compound.

Al