• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Coyote Hunt Saturday Evening

Started by weedwalker, June 23, 2008, 10:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedwalker

I went hunting over on my neighbors farm Saturday evening. I checked the wind and it was perfect for where I wanted to go. I only took my mouth calls, my .243, and my stool to sit on. I had Max, ( my pup) on a retractable 20' leash and he was sitting beside me. I had a hay field straight out in front of me, a 40' high wall to my right with thick woods on top, and a thick brushy hollow to my left with a dried up pond in the bottom of it with several dead fish laying around it. I just sat there for about 45 minutes waiting to see if anything was going to go down to eat on the dead fish. Then I did some pup whines on my Primos Lil-Dog on and off for about 15 minutes. After that I waited about 20 minutes and just sat there some more. Then I did 2 long howls with the Red Desert howler. I took out the pvc mouthpiece and put a Woods Wise mouthpiece in it. After a couple minutes, Max perked up and was looking to my right rear. I eased around to see what he was looking at and there was a coyote up on top of the high wall looking down into the field. I turned around slowly and tried to get in position for a shot. It was awkward trying to shoot to my right rear and up off of my shooting stick. I squeezed the trigger and you could hear the smack of the bullet. The coyote spun around a couple times then took off into the woods. I had to walk a couple hundred yards down the field to a place where I could get up onto the high wall then fight my way back thru the brush to where the coyote was. I looked all over but couldn't find it. There was thick brush and briars all thru the woods. If he only went 50 yds after being hit it would be almost impossible to find it if you didn't know which direction it went. But by the sound of the smack, I'd say he ain't going to far. I sure wish I could have found him for Max.This was the 1st time I've had him out hunting in the field. He spooked a little when I shot but he got over it in a few minutes. He'll be 5 months old next week and he's 40 lbs now.
Here's Max. He's a Ladner Yellow Blackmouth Cur.

DirtyDog

That is awsome Ed......Their senses are definitly better than ours.

bootmud

Great story.  Sounds like a really good hunting partner.  To bad you couldn't find it.

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

KySongDog

Nice story Ed.  Sounds like if Max wasn't with you, you would not have known about the coyote.  Good job Max!   :congrats:

weedwalker

Quote from: Semp on June 23, 2008, 10:46:15 AM
Nice story Ed.  Sounds like if Max wasn't with you, you would not have known about the coyote.  Good job Max!   :congrats:

You're right Semp. I wouldn't have known it was there. I can see where a dog would be a BIG help while out hunting.

Bopeye

YOU DA MAN WEEDY!!!  :yoyo: :highclap: :congrats:

Makes me want to go out.......thanks a lot.  :noway: :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

LBLDOG

that is making me have the urge more and more

vvarmitr

WTG Max! :yahoo:

Now Max if you can find a guy that can shoot left handed you'd have a fur piece to chew on.  :wink:

:laf:  :laf:  :laf:

matt75bronco

Cool Story!!! I never thought about taking a dog along for their senses. I've heard of people using them kinda like a decoy. Too bad you couldn't find it.

Good Luck with the next one, and with your hunting partner.

FinsnFur

I've always wanted to get a dog and pursue that kinda hunting. And have always been concerned with the dog chasing em and not coming back. That retractable leash do hickey is a good idea. Why didnt I think of that?  :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

canine

Nice lookin dog Ed  :highclap:

Sounds like a helluva good time and a good little hunting partner in the making!!

JD

Hawks Feather

Nice write up on your hunt and an even better looking hunting partner.

Jerry