• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Anyone Know What This Is??

Started by FOsteology, June 25, 2008, 07:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

Have never seen it unfinished, but believe this to be Desert Ironwood.... right???   :confused:

cb223

I don't what kind of wood it is but it sure looks like it would make some beautiful calls or pens!
CHAD

DirtyDog

I don't know, but you can send it my way.  :innocentwhistle:

iahntr

That would be my guess also. Good lookin stuff.
I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem gettin rid
of it if you could get your hands on a bunch.  :wink:
    Scott
Scott

FinsnFur

Wow....that IZ some cool looking stuff.
C'mon Al...what is it?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Most of the desert ironwood that I have was already cut, but I got a slab a ways back and it looked very similar.  Depending on the size of that piece and how dry it is, you could have a fairly valuable piece of wood.

Jerry

FOsteology

It's a tad over 9" tall and almost 16" in diameter. Extremely dense/heavy and dry.

misfire

You wont like it, just send it to me :eyebrownod:
#1700 God's Speed my brother

THO Game Calls

No clue, but I will look in my books and see if I can come up with anything.  The inside does look like the same coloring as DI though. 

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Hawks Feather

THO Game Calls

I bet Ladobe would know.   

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

carvercalls

You got your hands ona great chunk of desert ironwood :highclap: :highclap: Kerry

Ladobe

I'm not as quick on the button as some of you folks, and for good reason.

There are over a dozen species of "Ironwood", but only one of them is an Olneya (tesota), the only member of this genus and the one known as Desert Ironwood or Palo de Hierro.   But there are also several closely related AND not closely related species that have very similar characteristics to the ironwoods, but are not ironwoods.    And all of them can be very variable.

I know what I think it is, but won't say without more than just a picture to go on.     The size helps eliminate some species, but without requiring specifics you probably can't test for or provide... I need at least:

What is the source of this wood, or better yet - where did it grow?

With that information I might be able to shed some light, and the whys for my choice.

I'll also try to get a picture of what's left of the Ironwood logs I had in my wood stash - only have one left and its been cut lengthwise down the middle... plus I still have many spindle blanks cut from those logs.

L.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

FOsteology

I'm also of the opinion that this is one of the 14 known American species of Ironwood, and not Olneya tesota. My understanding is that Desert Ironwood only grows in and around the Sonaran Desert area of Mexico with some distribution in Southwestern NM and AR.

This wood came off a friend's Ranch out in South Texas not far from the King Ranch.

Sent the entire log to my friend Dave. Can't wait to see what he does with it....  :highclap:

Hawks Feather

Dave, as in HuntnCarve?  If so, I know he will do scary things with it.  Just look at those coyotes he does on his calls - scares me.

Jerry

FOsteology

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HuntnCarve

"Holy Crap!!!!" 

FOs, I am speechless.   A "Thank you" sounds pretty hollow, but you won't be disappointed my friend!  The wheels are spinning as we speak...

I'll have to make sure I intercept the the arrival of this chunk.  Our two postal delivery gals combined, would be hard pressed to man handle this delivery!  LOL!  They've learned from past deliveries, and now just beep the horn till I show up.  My wife says I'm pathetic, running like a dog after the mail truck!  LOL!
Once again, Thank you!  We'll be talking.

HuntnCarve
Dave

DirtyDog

coyotehunter_1

No idea what kind of wood it is but I can see several fantastic calls just waiting to be born.  :thumb2:

QuoteI'll have to make sure I intercept the the arrival of this chunk.

Yep, I'll bet ya' Dave will be setting at the curb, from sunrise to night fall, eyeing every mail truck that happens by.  :laf:   
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.