• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Bring On Labor Day

Started by Silencer, August 03, 2008, 07:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

We're all set for Labor Day, PA's early season goose opener.  Got the location picked out, no field hunts, we're hunting within 2 minutes of my house, maybe 3 min if the only light in town is red.  Setting up off a point of an island, sun rises to our backs and the geese been using the little  slow water along the narrow side all summer long.  Throwing out a few floaters and using some shell feeders right on the sandy point. 

:yoyo:  Less than 30 days away already, gotta get out there and do me some crow huntin to tune up the eye  :wink:

Silencer

Scratch that plan, now that they've done molted, the smaller family flocks have formed together to one large flock of 50 birds.  The new roost is where Devon caught that nice smallmouth a couple weeks back, and they're feeding somewhere up river.
Hope its not at the golf course in NY State.   :wo:  I have permission near the NY border but they havent cut their corn yet.  Guess I better scout some more, I need to be on the X  :eyebrow:

FinsnFur

Somebody's been doing there homework :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Silencer

The wife and I went out Friday night, got shooting the bull with the band that was playing and the drummer lives along the river and has a nice lawn.  You cant see it well from the road because of the houses that are along that stretch.   He pretty much begged me to come up there and kill em all, "kill all the shittin geese that are ruining my lawn,  :eyebrownod:  They're nasty and I cant get rid of them.... "  :yoyo:

This morning while crow hunting, I watched that big ole flock drop right in his backyard at 7:10 am.   :yahoo: ;yes; :thumb2:

alscalls

Prepare the yard for mass destruction....... :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

cb223

OH MAN!! Sounds like its gonna be FUN  :yoyo:  Shoot em up!

What is the limit by you?
CHAD

Silencer

8 birds per day and 16 in possesion for the early season for my area.  Over Coulters way in western PA  I think they decreased it to 3 birds per day 6 in possesion.   A few other areas where the resident populations pretty much under control they've decreased it down to 1 or 2 birds per day.

I usually dont ground pound them but with this guy wanting to get rid of em, its my plan to let em land and lay the smack down. 

Silencer

Silencer

Since it was labor day, people were camping in the field where they've been feeding so we went to plan 2 and heard a decent flock at first light go over but it was too dern foggy. 

This is what it looked like at around 9am. 

Just after the fog lifted a small flock came it to the left of the spread in this picture and landed 75yrds out.  I talked back n forth to them but couldnt draw them across the river so we gently pushed them out and packed up.

Coulter

At least you got out Silencer...I caught a nasty cold and can't seem to shake it. I have tomorrow off from work too, but I'm not sure if I will be using it to hunt or not. Speaking of nasty...nice pics there Nastygunz :wink:

Our county is divided pretty much in half...the western portion is the Southern James Bay Population and we can only take three from there. The eastern part of the county (east of I-79) remains at an 8 bird limit. I need to get rid of this freakin' cold and get out :noway:

Steve

Silencer

I'll be going back out tomorrow by myself so I cant bring all my dekes.  Only bringing 4 floaters, a couple sandwiches, and sodas.  Going to set up along that island point where they landed yesterday and wait em out. 

Been seeing lots of ducks !!!  Woodies galore already and common mergs.  Mostly hens and youngins'.

Coulter

I got out for a bit this afternoon, but it was freakin' hot! 88 degrees and no wind. The geese were nowhere to be found either....well not until I was heading home anyway :noway: I did manage to find a small flock on a game lands pond. It was a perfect sneak attack setup...and I would have been able to pull it off if I didn't bring Baylee (The dog) along. I might try again tomorrow afternoon and see if I can locate some more birds. Good luck to ya!

Steve

Silencer

Zero geese this morning, I even took a ride up and down river for a few miles and coudnt even find them LOL  :shrug:

Had alot of vistors, heres a few divers ( mergs ) that came in at daylight. 

They're goin to see what the geese are diggin up

This guy came in and landed above my head, what the hell is it, a Grebe ? :confused: Edit: its a Green Heron

Seen plenty of woodies as well but they didnt stop for the photo shoot.  Same way with the herons, didnt stick around long enough.

Coulter

Cool pics...about those Green Herons...you don't want to be sitting underneath one of them when they let loose. Those things can outcrap a fat man thats been eating laxatives :puke:

Its another hot one here today, I may have to stay home and work on some calls instaed of hunting. I have a show coming up and I just realized it is coming really quick :doh2:

Steve

Silencer

FRUSTRATIONS THIS EARLY SEASON !!! :doh2:  :argh:  :pout:   

I hump over a dozen dekes ( goose with a few duck mixed in to fill the spread )  down the path to the river, cross the river and set up.   Tons of ducks at first daylight then hunger kicks in.  I usually sit till 10-10:30am but today I left at 9:40.

I just get over the RR tracks and pull onto the main road and look back over the river >>>>>>>>>> LOW AND BEHOLD 30+ are dropping in right where I was sitting.   

That totally made my day  LMAO  :laf: :nono: :roflmao:

FinsnFur

SNICKERS!
...it satisfies     :roflmao: :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com