• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Model 94

Started by Silencer, August 05, 2008, 04:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

Any of yall still hunt with an old model 94 ?  I'm breaking my 94  32win special out of retirement this year and going back to what I first started deer hunting with.  I'm not too much into deer hunting these days but the boys want to go, and my old model 94 is nice and light weight.
Not sure about my eyes and the open sights, might just mount a scope on it but I'm pretty leary of doing so, its a pre 64.

vvarmitr

Now that is cool!  ;yes;

Surely your eyes aren't that bad. :huh:   Just say NO to the scope.  :wink:

KySongDog

I sold my Winchester 94  30-30 years ago and wish I hadn't.  I killed a few deer with that old girl.   I didn't use a scope back then but now I feel a scope is a BIG safety plus while deer hunting.   Much easier to identify the target in a scope me thinks.  And I know I am lots more accurate with a scope.

Good luck this fall!  Hunting with your boys is a special time.   :congrats:

Semp

wv_yoter

I killed my first deer with my Grandad's Model 94 30-30 open sights.
Jason

bushmaster

killed my first deer with the 94 too.
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

Ladobe

I too killed my first deer with Grandpa's "Thirty Gun", about 1954/55.   Became mine when he died a short time later.   It was the main rifle I hunted deer, elk, bear and predators with until I went into the service.   I still have it, but it hasn't been shot for over 30 years.    Last took it along as a backup to the 270 about mid 70's and shot a couple of grouse with it for the camp cook pot.   I still have 3 of the "family" 94's, all pre war.

All of my family/relatives carried nothing but Win 94's, Colt SAA's, and Winchester 1890's, 1903's and 1906's for pests and small game when I was young.   They were the tools of the trade on a working ranch in those days.   Dear old Dad bought a "barrel sale" Enfield Mk IV 303 about 1956/57 and was the first to stray from the 94's (he took it to his friend Parker Ackley to semi-sporterize it).  I have it now, but you have to be a sucker for punishment to shoot the beast.   My other Grandpa was the first in the family to get a scoped "modern" rifle for deer/elk hunting, a Remington 742ADL Deluxe 30-06 sometime in the early 60's.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

bootmud

Quote from: Silencer on August 05, 2008, 04:57:20 PM
Any of yall still hunt with an old model 94 ?  I'm breaking my 94  32win special out of retirement this year and going back to what I first started deer hunting with.  I'm not too much into deer hunting these days but the boys want to go, and my old model 94 is nice and light weight.
Not sure about my eyes and the open sights, might just mount a scope on it but I'm pretty leary of doing so, its a pre 64.

I also took my first deer with a Model 94 Win.  What's the signifigance of the "Pre 94" and how do I know if mine is Pre 94?

Thanks,  bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

Silencer

I'm not sure the true reason, but grandpa always said the pre-64 Winchesters were more reliable and made better ?

Maybe someone with better gun knowledge can chime in here.  Ladobe ?  help me !!

go to this link and click on model 94 and place your serial number in the box, it looks up the year it was made.  Mine was born in 1949.

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm

bootmud

Damn it!   Mine was made in 1976. :laf:

Cool link though.
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

Ladobe

Pre 64 is just that, manufactured prior to 1964.   That is when Winchester changed a lot of their manufacturing processes and stopped doing most of the hand assembly, fit and finish on their firearms that they had been famous for.   Most notable was the change to using stamped parts, the so called "powdered metal" receivers, etc.   While there has been some exceptions, that is when Winchester generally stopped making high quality firearms.    Was just a sign of the times for Winchester who had a need to show a profit.    All the big firearms manufacturers did much the same or worse even though they didn't get hung with such a well known "pre" moniker to signify it as Winchester did.

Only post 64 Winchester I own is a Model 70 Featherweight Classic 243WSSM.   I bought it new 4 years ago, but can't speak how good it is as its still new in the box unfired and will stay that way until resold.
USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

bootmud

Ladobe,

Very informative post.  :wink:

Thanks,  bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

Silencer

I second that, thanks

northern coyote

I'm sorry to say mine was with a post-64 70, I would love to get ahold of one of them 94's someday though
I'm learnin' and I've got nothin' but time

George Ackley

I have a saddle gun that's a old 94 in 32spl
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

Silencer

wanted to bring this btt.  The rifle's been at the gunsmith for a couple weeks now.  He's tried ordering mounts but come to find out according to him the year the rifle was made the screw patterns dont match up with the mounts offered.

I'm taking this as an omen and going with original iron sights this year.  Cant wait to roll into deer camp and see what them boys say...  I'll bet they be whispering about my iron sights.. lol..

waynec308

In my neck of the woods you'd be hard pressed to find a deer camp that someone in the crew didn't have a Mdl 94 either 30-30 or 32 special. When I first started to deer hunt my great uncle handed me his model 94 and told I use it anytime. He said it was the first '94 in Washington county, Maine. It had the curved shoulder plate and was on it's second barrel when I used it. He died about 3 yrs later and the gun went to his daughter and untimaley was lost in a house fire a few months later. We still have two pre-64's in the family, one [my grandfather's] has the octogone barrel on.

I'm pretty sure the pre-64's will continue to go up in value so I wouldn't change it unless you are sure it will stay in your family for sentimental value.
Love to hunt...it's my R & R...even if all I get is a walk in the woods.

Climb Paws staff member

Coon hunter

Thats all I deer hunt with is a old model 94 Winchester 30 30 I have had 3006 270 243 308 and a 7mm mag . I have sold them all Because I cant seem to get the satisfaction of the old 3030 It may be because it was My dads gun . But its the only thing I have killed deer and coyotes with and I shoot it open sight.
Quality Whole sale and customer Taxidermy

Coon hunting  Its a passion .

coyotehunter_1

Silencer,
You may want to check a few of the gun auction sites. Most pre '64 Winchester 94's have become hot collectors’ items. Some are bringing a pretty big premium.  

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.