• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

tonights stand

Started by bigben, September 29, 2008, 06:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

after a dismall weekend of calling upstate pa I decided I had to hit a spot I knew had critters in.  I headed to a local state forest that I had planned to hunt hard last year but never did.  main reason is the use it gets.  there are alot of horseriders hikers walkers along with hunters that use this area.  I headed to a area I had planned on hunting at night but since it was daytime I set the decoy and call up at a intersection in the road.  the red circle with black dot was where the call was setup.  blue dots where aproach.  the wind was coming straight at me in the face.  the green dot is where I sat to watch the setup.  I was setup in the bottom of a valley.the stream which is right in the center of the green pine trees is about 150 yds to my south east.  I started out with some rabbit distress and waited about twenty minutes later I started in on grey fox pup and then switched out to grey fox n coon fight.  I pretty much just wanted to call something in.  a pick me up in my confidence more then anything.  well sure nuff there is a hollow that runs north west of the caller and continues south east down to the strem and I kind of makes a area with 5 points.  I hear some flickers raisin cain up the north west hollow.  it swung to the western white line which is a very well maintained logging path.  then started in and got about 50 yds away from the call.  I could really only make out the top part of his body.  he pretty much just stayed there.  My best guess he was either called before or just did not care to inspect the decoy.  the call was not running but I am sure if I would have changed the sound to a squeeker or so the lil fella would have wanted to play.  my problem is I could not really get  a shot at him unless he would have got to the call.  how would you have setup?  after about 5 minutes of sitting there he decided he had seen enough and walked back up the hollow he had came from.  when I got up to get the call and such I heard him givin me the devil.  I was hopin he was allready far enough away to not see me but all well.  tell me what you guys think?

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

wv_yoter

I'm interested in the responses you'll get to Ben.
Jason

CCP

I like hunting logging roads in the thick the coyotes don't have as many options.

Here is my take on your setup. The caller is were you want him to checkup at but, the caller is there so he will check up on one of the other roads. Before you see him and it will give him to much time to react to what is going on.

In the first pic here it gives him a place to checkup in the curve of the road before preceding on. Perfect place for a shot.

Second pic lets the coyote come down either road and checkup at the fork which is another place for a good shot.

I believe your setup does not give the coyote a place to check up so you can see him before he comes through the woods. More than likely the coyote came up the road checked up when he got closer then went back into the woods.  He then had all the time in the world to bust you or get spooked and leave.

Dont worry about the caller being behind you. If a coyote comes in from that direction as soon as he hits the road and smells where you walked in you want have time to shoot anyway. Only time I look in the direction where I walk in is when hunting cats.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

bigben

I just want to add I was not hunting foxes.  so I would not have took the shot.  fox does not come in till later in the season.  but if I wanted to take a shot it woulda been a head shot through grass.  I cannot see your pics here at work CCP so I will wait till I get home I just wanted to point out the fox deal.  I coulda seen that would have got bad quick if it was took the wrong way. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

wv_yoter

Jason

bigben

man that is gonna be odd havin the call behind.  me I will give it a try a lil later in the season.  what about setting the call in front of me about 20 yds staying back fromthe intersection around 50 yds?  not doubtin ya but would that work?  in a perfect world where I would have had another shooter I would have set one looking up the western road and me on the other side of the tree lookin up the northeastern road.  the guy watchin the western road would be good with a rifle.  you can see atleast 100 yds up it before you cannot see over the crest.  the other way it is only about 30 yds till the road bends.

here is another scenario.  same intersection only walkin in the western road.  this road goes about 300 yds up the mountian to a major highway over the mountian.  park there and walk in.  would you still set the call up behind ya or keep it at the intersection of the three roads and two valleys?

THO Game Calls

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Rich

bigben,

I really suck at reading topo maps, so I can't tell what kind of terrain you are hunting. I see the line of trees next to the path you walked in on, and what looks like a stream to left of the path. What I can tell you is that I would personally NEVER  setup with the E caller behind me.  I haven't called with the wind in my face for a long time now either. I want the caller out there where I can see it, because the caller is where any predator is headed. Coyotes love to come in down-wind of the sound in attempt to get a whiff of the screamer. I set the caller cross-wind when ever possible, and I watch down-wind.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

bigben

all I can tell ya al is me or anyone that I hunt with would not take a shot if we did not think it was safe.  it wouldn't be any safer shooting with a shotgun if you put it in the same scenario.  I would set the shooter up as that any bullet would travel through a animal it would have a safe back stop.  I am sure you had good intentions but I am not that much of a idiot.  sorry. 

THO Game Calls

;

bigben

I was just stating my opinion please keep it.  it is something that needs brought up every now and then.  but I had hoped that some would have known that I wouldn't have took the shot if it was not safe. 

Rich

bigben,

I knew that all along.  :roflmao:
Foxpro Field staff

THO Game Calls

';

possumal

BigBen: I'd have to agree with Rich Cronk and CCP on this deal.  I always try to place the ecaller where I am likely to see the spot the coyote stops to take a looksee. Sort of making him pay for the privilege. Same goes for sampling the wind-make him pay for the privilege.  I find that the coyote nearly always wants to gain that vantage point where he can see where the sound is coming from, regardless of whether he is coming from downwind, upwind, or someplace in between. I sure don't want the ecaller behind me anytime.  I assumed you would always take a safe shot or no shot at all. Good hunting at ya.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

THO Game Calls

Rich

THO,

BigBen would never shoot at anything standing on the crest of a hill. Not even on private property. Neither would anybody else that has common sense. I know Bigben, he has broke bread with me, right here in my home. That is why I know he is much too wise to shoot a bullet over a hill top. I hope this explanation clears up your fears. Calm down Al, everything is well here.
Foxpro Field staff

bigben

ya know what it aint worth it.  I was gonna explain to al how I would setup but if I get time this weekend I will run up in the truck and video it.  they are supposed to have the gates open by then.  I seen your prior posts before you deleted em al and I understand the consequences and why it is not good to shoot over a hill.  like I said I aint stupid.  I am young but not that stupid.  until next time al see ya.

wv_yoter

I'm curious as to why you would NEVER put the call behind you ?
Jason

CCP

QuoteI'm curious as to why you would NEVER put the call behind you ?

me too. :confused:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

bigben

hey I will try anything a few times.  I understand CCP's thinkin on this and it does make sense.  the only thing it would scare me of is a grey that gets bold and goes to the call instead of comin the way ya want em to.  of course ya can't kill em all.