• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Cleaning a 22

Started by FinsnFur, October 30, 2008, 05:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

What are you guys using?
Am I so far behind times that I'm the only one still trying to shove that noodle of a cleaning rod through the barrel?
Actually I've converted over to the bore snake which is awesome for cleaning, but I'm not comfortable trying to oil with one.

So what are some of you using?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

centerfire_223

That is what I use myself, and when I get ready to oil it I just saturate the snake down with oil.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

LORDDAL

well my old tried n true method is a few bore patches tied in the middle to some 50lb test fishing line been doing my double duce that way for years and works really well
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

KySongDog

Back before cleaning rods were invented, I did it the same way as Lorddal.   :laf:

To tell the truth, I don't clean my .22's much.  I just shoot them.  When the crud gets built up to where I can see it good, that's when I might clean the breach and run a bore snake down the barrel.   For under 50 yards small game hunting I don't think it makes a big difference if the gun is squeaky clean or not.  If I were in to tack driving bench rest small bore shooting I might be more particular.  Of course, YMMV.   :eyebrownod:

On my centerfire guns, I clean them religiously. 

FinsnFur

The fishing line deal is a good idea. :wo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

5 SHOTS

I was a big fan of Bore Snakes until I cleaned a gun with one and then out of boredom cleaned with a cleaning rod later only to find I had to spend nearly 5 hours getting the gunk left behind by the snake.  :madd: I have about 10 Bore Snakes in a drawer somewhere that i don't even look at anymore.  :doh2:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

Hawks Feather

Jim,

The first question is what do you want to accomplish by the cleaning?  I know that may sound like a stupid question, but .22s seem to be in a different class than centerfires.  When I was young I didn't do much to my .22s at all (didn't know any better at the time).  Then I started making them as clean and shiny as the centerfire barrels that I had.  If I went out and shot a squirrel, I cleaned the .22 when I got home.  If I went and shot a couple hundred rounds at the range, I cleaned the .22 when I got home.  If I were at the range and shot 50 to 75 rounds of centerfire rounds I would usually clean the gun at least once at the range and usually give it a once over every 20 to 25 rounds. That is what the benchrest shooters were doing, so if it worked for them it should work for me.  Then I started reading on the .22 and many of the .22 benchrest shooters only scrub (like I was doing each time I shot) when their groups started to open up.  After they would scrub, they would need to shoot 25 or more rounds to get the gun to settle back in and have the groups tighten up.  I kept wondering how this could be, but gave it a try and it seems to work.  While I still "clear the gunk" from my .22, I no longer scrub it and get rid of all of the  buildup that is there.  I do once I notice that the groups are getting larger, but until then, I don't.  I now use a product called Sport Pal that is a type of penetrating oil when I get back from shooting my .22s.  I usually run one dry patch down the barrel, then one wet with Sport Pal  (slowly), let it set for a couple of minutes, and then run a dry patch through.  When I get ready to go shooting the next time, I will also run another dry patch down the bore before I start.  By doing this I am not noticing any "flyers" like I used to get.  If you can't find the Sport Pal, I think you could use Kroil and it would be very similar.

This should not be viewed as the gospel according to Jerry.  It is just what I do and why.

Jerry

cb223

Your talking about the 22lr, like the 10/22?   

They need to be cleaned? Really?  :confused:

When I do clean it I have a Dewey 1 piece coated rod and I clean it just like any other rifle barrel.
CHAD

FinsnFur

Quote from: Hawks Feather on October 31, 2008, 12:07:25 PM

The first question is what do you want to accomplish by the cleaning? 

I guess the biggest thing is after setting all summer, I just feel like they could get rusty inside the barrel. Especially if they didnt get cleaned or oiled last time they were out. 22LR

But more of a concern is my 22-250 which gets cleaned religiously whether it just got back or I'm bored.
Shoving a cleaning rod up that thing is like trying to stick your arm in a key hole.

I've never been real fond of dousing my bore snake with oil, but I'm thinking another idea aside from the fishing line trick which I like, is to buy another bore snake. One for cleaning and one for oiling.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 31, 2008, 09:55:12 PM

I guess the biggest thing is after setting all summer, I just feel like they could get rusty inside the barrel.

Here's an idea..........don't let it sit all summer!   :biggrin:   Get out and shoot the dayum thing.  Ya don't get much cheaper than .22 ammo.    :wink:   There are lots of tin can critters that need killin'.    :laf:

Hawks Feather

Jim,

If you are cleaning your centerfire from the muzzle, you need to pick up a rod guide and clean from the action.  There are quite a few of these being made and I have been very happy with my Sinclair guides.  I have a couple of others that work, but don't fit as well.  You take out your bolt and insert the guide.  It will get the rod started straight into the bore and will keep your rod from hitting the sides when you push it in.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=CPCRGSR&item=RG2X&type=store

Chad,

The Dewey guide is a real plus for cleaning from the muzzle, which is the main way that 95% of the 10/22 shooters clean their rifle.  The other 5% have had a hole drilled in the back of the action to allow them to clean from the action.  To clean this way, you do need to remove the trigger assembly and also the bolt assembly.  Which is really not much.  About any gunsmith can drill the hole, but you need to check to see if they have this, or a similar, jig so that the hole they drill lines up with the bore.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=989&title=10/22~%20RECEIVER%20DRILLING%20JIG

Jerry

slagmaker

If your having trouble getting a cleaning rod down the barrel you should get a rod that is sized properly. I use my one piece rod "Dewey" on my 22-250 and have no problems at all. I do need to get me a bore guide though.

I dont think you can beat a good one piece rod.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

I had a tough time finding a one piece rod, even at the Cabelas here. And the one I ended up with I'm pretty unhappy with.

You mentioned that rod guide in your tutorial also Jerry, I'm going to have to pick on of those up.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers