• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

TURKEY FOR COYOTES ?

Started by nastygunz, December 03, 2008, 02:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

1 THING I PUT ON MY E-CALLER IS SOME GOOD TURKEY SOUNDS, A TURKEY LOST YELP, TURKEY PANIC SOUNDS AND A SEQUENCE OF A COYOTE ATTACKING A TURKEY...MY REASONING BEHIND THIS IS THAT WITH THE SUPER ABUNDANCE OF TURKEYS THEY OFFER A SUBSTANTIAL MEAL OPPORTUNITY TO COYOTES...AND I KNOW SEVERAL GUYS THIS YEAR WHO HAVE SHOT COYOTES THAT STALKED THEIR TURKEY DECOYS, WHILE THEY WERE TURKEY CALLING....AND HAD SEVERAL PEOPLE TELL ME ON THEIR FARMS THEY HAD SEEN COYOTES ATTACKING AND GETTING TURKEYS, ESPECIALLY POULTS....I PLAN ON USING THESE SOUNDS IN CONJUNCTION WITH A TURKEY DECOY AND HOPEFULLY BRING IN SOME DOG.....IM WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS USED THIS TACTIC AND HAD ANY SUCCESS?

KySongDog

Electronic turkey sounds are illegal in Kentucky for hunting turkeys.  Don't know about their use for predator hunting. 

It might be hard to explain to the Conservation Officer.   :laf:

nastygunz

Thats a good point!....I figure if I have the decoy out....the e-caller loaded and labeled with predator sounds and the .223 I might just squeak by the CO.... :wink:..........of course I hunt constantly and havent had my hunting license checked or even seen a CO in the field in about 20+ years....they like to check you at the tagging station  :eyebrow:

FinsnFur

Turkey sounds are always good sounds to use for coyotes, especially if an alternative to the common rabbit in distress is needed. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

We are over run with turkeys here in NH and I know 2 guys this year who killed coyotes after their turkey decoys...and quite a few reports of people seeing coy-turk kills....seems like a natural choice...big ole turkey is a lot of protein for a predator.

LBLDOG

I used it back in October , put the decoy out and played turkey distress  and had a yote come in to the decoy. The land owner was having some of his ducks and geese killed and harrased by coyotes. I think if you just have the distress of a turkey on your caller wouldnt be a big deal with MR. GAME WARDEN but fly down cackles. purring sounds , yelping , and lost call could raise a question? I think they can get carried away sometimes! That would be like you sitting in wal-mart parking lot and me pulling up and saying YOU HAVE BEEN IN WAL-MART HAVENT YOU ? and you would say NO IM JUST SITTING IN THE PARKIGLOT . Well until you go in I cant prove you have been in wally-world, thats kind of like having turkey sounds to me ! The answer is yes the distress works but I personally dont think you need the other sounds of the turkey for yote hunting!

possumal

I have a sequence I made on Goldwave that I put on my FX5.  I have used it with a motion hen decoy and without, and have called in and killed several coyotes with it.  I like it a lot next to wooded areas where the turkeys hang out. The sequence of sounds I used were meant to imitate the exact sounds I heard when coyotes ran into a bunch of turkeys in a wooded area where I was turkey hunting.  It is noisy as hell when that happens, with the poults doing their KeeKee run and the old hens fussing for them to come here.  It is very effective.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

nastygunz

That sequence sure sounds interesting Possumal (hint-hint)..... :innocentwhistle: