• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

grizzly tracks in snow & mud

Started by Okanagan, December 11, 2008, 10:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Frogman's photos of black bear tracks reminded me of this photo I took of a griz front track recently.   If you compare to the black bear front track in WV mud, this griz is not much different in size.  But the long claws that stick way out in front are strikingly different.  Some grizzlies will dig so much that they wear off the claws to stubs, but this one has nice claws.  Black bear claws curve about 90 degrees in a fairly tight radius from where they come out of the toes, so that they stick down into mud or snow right close in front of the toes if they show at all.  Black bear claw tips tend to be sharp and small diameter so that they make small impressions, and sometimes do not show in the track.

Grizzly claws curve about the same radius as a man's fingers when you relax your hand.  That makes the claws stick way out in front of the toes, kind of gouging ahead rather than sticking straight down into the mud.  Griz claws are often blunt on the end from digging and wearing them back, so each claw tip makes a big impression in soft mud or snow. 

The track above has three main elements:  the front pad, the toes, and well ahead of the toes is the row of claw marks. 

Okanagan

Grizzly tracks, claws showing in the mud.

vvarmitr

Cool!  :biggrin:

So when are going to see pix of the bears?  :eyebrow:

Okanagan

Bear pics?  Bear tracks are safer and easier to photograph!

A semi-pro photographer friend of mine was photographing grizzlies and took a fellow along with a  rifle to back him in case anything went bad.  He was snapping pictures of a griz feeding, with his faithful companion right behind him holding a rifle, when the bear took exception and charged.  My friend was pretty sure it was  a bluff charge so kept on snapping photos till the bear got close then ducked down and stepped aside to give the rifleman a clear shot.  As he did he looked behind him and saw his "backup" rifleman sprinting away.   Fortunately, it was a bluff charge, just closer than he expected before the bear broke off the charge.

The last two grizzlies I've seen I was gripping a rifle rather than a camera as they came in to a call when I was intending to call something else.  I have some old photos on film of bears, not much recent on digital.   Someone else will have to supply.  I took a few photos of a black bear last year and will try to dig them up if I get more time later today.   Also, my son has some pics of a black bear that he killed in his yard just before Thanksgiving.  He ran it off a couple of times but it hung around all day so he finally made it safe for his kids to go outside via a .338 between the eyes.  He didn't want to track it in nearby brush, nor have it thrash around much or run through the neighborhood wounded.  Rifle legal rural area, open season, he had a tag, etc.  He has some prints of it near the kids' swing set in the yard and if he sends me a digital I'll post it.

FinsnFur

Quote from: Okanagan on December 15, 2008, 11:43:32 AM
Bear pics?  Bear tracks are safer and easier to photograph!

Someone else will have to supply. 

Amen!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

You need to get some cahones about you like this guy Okanagan.  ;yes;  Maybe this will inspire to "git er done" ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQs9W9MmXgs&feature=related

:shck: that guy is nucking futs!  :doh2:  :laf:

Okanagan

Wow!  Amazing video! And yes, the guy is nuts.  As I watched, the question in my mind from beginning to end was, "Why is he doing this?" 

It showed courage and knowledge of lion behaviour but so what?  There didn't seem to be any serious research questions or reason to be taking such risk, just bravado trying to outdo Timothy Treadwell.  He found a lion, crowded it till it responded, then backed off without getting killed.  And his point is...???

Thanks for the link. 

Greenside

You need to get some cahones about you like this guy Okanagan.   

Okanagan

Quote from: Greenside on December 16, 2008, 01:48:39 PM
You need to get some cahones about you like this guy Okanagan.   

I prolly lean more toward conejos than cohones. 

That's a great video.

Here's a modest sized black bear close enough to see the camera flash reflected in his eyes.  Early Fall, raining lightly.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com