• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

coyote101 Contest Entry

Started by coyote101, January 05, 2009, 08:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I went out this morning with kcb346 to a place on his father in law's farm. Our first stand was a promising site at the edge of a patch of woods along a power line right of way. No luck so we moved and tried a couple of more spots further west. Still no luck, and I needed to leave shortly, but we decided to try one more spot, just a couple hundred yards across a large open field from where we had started.

I started using a little open reed call that I got from Al@THO, trying to make the same sounds that Yotehnter was successful with. After a few series of that I switched to a KKC Backstabber for a couple of minutes, and then to the little closed reed call that iahntr donated to the raffle last year. Shortly after finishing twenty or thirty seconds on that, I heard my partner shoot. I turned and saw the coyote running across the field from my left to right. I took a shot and missed. My partner shot again and missed too. Just as I was about to shoot again, she turned a bit and presented more of a going away target. I shot and she tumbled to a dead stop at 85 yards. I tried some hurt dog sounds for a minute or so but nothing else showed and we called it a day.

My partner was seated against a big tree at the blue dot facing east looking across the power line right of way. I was standing against a tree at the green dot facing north. We expected coyotes were in that thick stuff in the upper right hand part of the picture and would come to the edge of the right of way and/or cross it to try to get down wind of the call. The coyote was first spotted at the pink dot on the right. She moved, out of sight, to that second pink dot at the corner of the pond where she presented kcb346 a face on shot. When she was shot at, she high tailed it along the red line to the point where she was hit, at the red dot in the middle of the field.

The view from where I was. The coyote is the tiny speck just below the red line.

Looking back to where I was standing by the tree where the red line is.

First blood for the Bushmaster.

My camera will not print the date so I had to write it on the picture.
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Bills Custom Calls

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

alscalls

Wonderfull..... :congrats: :congrats:
What was the wind a doin?
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

coyote101

Quote from: alscalls on January 05, 2009, 08:58:05 PM
What was the wind a doin?

The wind was from the ENE, pretty much at her tail where she stopped at the corner of the pond. To get down wind she would have to cross that right of way.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

Nice job, Pat!   :congrats:

I like that map.  How do you get the points and lines on it? 

coyote101

Quote from: Semp on January 05, 2009, 09:34:24 PM

I save it from Google Earth to My Documents. Then open it with Paint and draw the lines and dots and whatever else.

Pat
NRA Life Member

FinsnFur

Nice Pat! :yoyo: Real nice.
Congrats on the contest entry also :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

weedwalker

Way to go Pat!!! :highclap: :highclap: You got that Bushmaster broke in now. Good write up and pictures too. :yoyo:

Ed

Frogman

Good shooting Pat!!  Nice description and photos and map!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Quote from: coyote101 on January 05, 2009, 09:45:16 PM
Quote from: Semp on January 05, 2009, 09:34:24 PM

I save it from Google Earth to My Documents. Then open it with Paint and draw the lines and dots and whatever else.

Pat

:doh2:  I should have thought of that.  Thanks.   :wink:

iahntr

Very nice! Thanks for sharin it with us! I'm glad the call's out gettin some use.
On a side note, how come when I try to zoom in like that on google earth
it's all blurry, or won't zoom in that far at all?
Scott
Scott

cb223

Way to go!! Congratulations  :congrats:  :congrats:
CHAD

coyote101

Quote from: iahntr on January 06, 2009, 06:38:06 PM
On a side note, how come when I try to zoom in like that on google earth
it's all blurry, or won't zoom in that far at all?
Scott

Scott,

Not all of those satellite photos are of the same quality even though they all look pretty good from high altitude. It seems like the best ones are around populated or high use areas. Here is an example right here in my county. I have hunting areas on both sides of this area. Pretty hard to study the blurry area on the right; the closer you zoom, the blurrier it gets.

Pat

Not too bad from a distance.

Starts to blurr as you zoom.

Pretty much worthless as you continue zooming.
NRA Life Member

Frogman

My favorite map and aerial photo site is one based right here in WV.  But if you scroll around it also has some imagery from other states.  It also has topo maps, and a 3-d type "terrain" feature.  In WV it gives us 2003 aerial photos which were taken in the winter with the leaves off the trees.  Also has more recent 2007 imagery taken in the summer when the leaves were on.  You might try it.  See what it has for your area.    Here is the url . . . .

http://www.mapwv.gov/schools/#

Hope this helps!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

The right hand side of the screen is pretty much what I get in my area.  Worthless is a good word for it.   :nono:

topdawg

for ky you can go to duck unlimited and go to their migration map and get sat. images
my goal: do as much as I can, as fast as I can, for as long as I can, and at the end of the day if I'm not satisfied I will be to wore out to care

iahntr

Yeah the right side is how it looks for me.
Thanks Frog, tried that one too, but pretty much the same.
I'm pretty sure I've found one that worked better for me somewhere,
I'll just have to do a little lookin around. Thanks

didn't mean to side track your thread Pat  :nono:
Scott

coyote101

Quote from: topdawg on January 06, 2009, 09:09:21 PM
for ky you can go to duck unlimited and go to their migration map and get sat. images

Thanks topdawg, that is much better in those blurry areas.

Pat
NRA Life Member