• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Spring bear trail

Started by Tikaani, January 17, 2009, 06:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikaani

As some of you know, over the past month I have been cutting a trail into a valley behind the house.   I have been cutting towards an abandoned trail that I spotted while running a break on a ridge line.  Today I reached the trail and it has been abandoned for some time.  I followed it north for a couple of miles and it intersected another trail, this one has been used at least once this year, no traps or recent use though.  Took it to the east, there are two lakes I am going to get close to, then have to start cutting more trail to the north.  It is in this area that I will set up my spring bear stands.  While heading east, I dropped down a small wash, coming out I hit a bald spot and it threw the machine into the uphill part of the wash.  That ended any forward movement I had planned for the day.  Thinking what could happen on a nice day like today I had dropped my tow sled with all my gear (saws, swede ax, etc.) about five miles back.  After two hours of digging, pushing, lifting and shoving I did the only thing I could to get out, turn the 650 lbs Moth@$#% F&^#er around 180 degrees, the other side of the trail was down hill, once in there I would have been done for.  Finally got her out and headed home, saving myself a 15 mile walk home in snowshoes (which by the way were five miles away in the tow sled).

Hunt hard, die tired
John

Cutting towards abandoned trail, 400' to go

Abandoned trail.

Technical difficulties.

This is the valley I have gained access to now.

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

alscalls

Dang John ....be careful out there.........Not a good place to get hurt.
I am glad your OK. I hope the next trip is better for ya. Nice pics cant wait to see the bear stands and the results :eyebrow:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Frogman

Wow!!
Who owns all that land??  Is that where you are taking Bopeye to hunt??  Are there any cell towers out there, in case you get hurt?  Some how I kind of doubt it.

Jim

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

John, is your last name Grylls? :laf: :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Tikaani

Jim,

The State of Alaska, yes and no cell service. I carry a sat phone if things go south.  I wanted to have a place I can take James in the evenings, it will take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get in here with my ARGO.  I will take him further north to a very remote area set up the wall tent for a few days while he is here.

John

FinsnFur

Your gonna have to cut those trails wider then that if your going to get Bopeye in there. :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

alscalls

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Frogman

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 17, 2009, 09:22:07 PM
Your gonna have to cut those trails wider then that if your going to get Bopeye in there. :roflmao:

Now THAT deserves a, "BITE ME". :laf:   :nono:

Jim

Todd Rahm

Was a nice day for cutting trail, if'n ya had to, thats for sure.

Got some perty country up there John.  :wink:

pitw

Wow is all I can say John.  Looks pretty wild and I know you are enjoying yourself but play as safe as you can.
I say what I think not think what I say.

msmith

WOW! Great pics. It sure would be nice to have some wilderness like that.  :yoyo:
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Frogman

That is just awesome!!  I bet it's quiet out there.  How far to your nearest neighbor??

Jim

coyote101

It sure is beautiful there John, you're a lucky man.

Stay safe.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Silencer

That machine does look a tad on the heavy side, I wouldnt want to get er stuck.  Dont think my little hind end could push it out lol.

Hawks Feather

Great pictures (again) and I love looking at them.  Keep up the good work and keep the machine where ever it is supposed  to be.

Jerry

Bopeye

Quote from: Frogman on January 17, 2009, 09:27:15 PM
Quote from: FinsnFur on January 17, 2009, 09:22:07 PM

Now THAT deserves a, "BITE ME". :laf:   :nono:

Jim

I agree with Jim on this one Mr. Champion!! BITE ME!!

John,
  Be careful man!! I'm not on the board for a little while and you try to hurt yourself. I can't wait, but Jim might be right. I'm 5'6" standing up and 5' 9" laying down.  :eyebrownod:
You be careful and I'll see you in May. Good Lord willing.

I know you said that's right behind the house, but it looks more remote than even Montana or Wyoming ever did. Almost scares me, but not quite. I was always too dang dumb to get too scared.  :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Carolina Coyote

I believe I would invest in a winch for the vehicle,could save a lot of pushing. cc

FinsnFur

...or help pull Bopeye through some of those tight spots. :doh2: :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Todd Rahm

QuoteI'm 5'6" standing up and 5' 9" laying down.
And thats why I love ya man.  :nono:

Them trails are wide enough, Tik just needs the block and tackle to get ya up the other side.  :roflmao:

Ain't nuttin I hate worse then a stuck sled, especially a big'n.  :sad:

Tikaani

Could not agree more Todd, Just glad the weather was nice.

John