• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Multiple coyotes???

Started by PA brushwolf, January 19, 2009, 04:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA brushwolf

Has anyone ever killed a coyote and then went back to that same spot later on and tried calling more in???  Because it seems like to me that a new location and area is what i do better on. Is anyone else having any dry spells?? I called one in and killed it in Colorado but that doesnt count to me. Western coyote and Eastern coyote are two different ball games.

Jimmie in Ky

As long as I am killing them I will use the same spot for quite a while. If I miss then its' a diferent location and sound the next time I am in that area. Jimmie

PA brushwolf

thanks for the information. do you have any suggestions as far as sounds because the rabbit squeal is getting worn out here.

FinsnFur

It is possible to make them familiar with a sound, and relate it to danger if your continuously using it. And it only makes sense.

If your going to continuously hit the same spot, I'd at least change up the entry location and sound. But my opinion is that hitting the same spot too much only educates them, and makes them virtually impossible to call.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

PA brushwolf

Here's my story i have a spot that i've been hunting for three years i've called one in and shot it went back the next year and called two in and got busted and ever since then its been dry . but there's sign there i don't know if anybody else is hunting there. If the coyotes have been educated is there any sense in still hunting there. Any tips what works best to try to kill an educated coyote besides a bait pile.

possumal

If you are making about the same approach each time you hunt that place, and setting up about the same way, they could have you patterned.  It is next to impossible to pattern a coyote, but they can pattern you quite easily.  See if you can figure out an entirely different approach to the general area and use a different sound altogether, call less, watch more.  Curiosity killed the cat, but it kills a lot of coyotes too. It pays to make a rough map of each farm you get permission to hunt, indicating some landmarks you will easily remember, and mark N, S, E. & W.  Listen to your weather radio and make a decision about which way to go in on that farm or possibly wait until the wind is more in your favor.  The coyotes who interact with people so much on our farms, and get shot at routinely by the farmers and road hunters get extra smart fast.  I have gone way out of my way many times to be sure they didn't hear me park up by the barn, come through the same gate, etc..  Be sneaky like the coyotes and it will benefit you a bunch.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Frogman

Great to see you posting Mike!  Lots of good info from these guys.  I'm still too new to help much?  I have been having a long dry spell myself.

Guys,  Mike is quite a hunter and new to the computer stuff and the forums.  Help him as much as you can, I know he will appreciate it.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Jimmie in Ky

As for sounds switch it up with any canine sound. Change locations, you got busted by a pair and it could have been the mated pair. You can be sure at least one is alive and remembers that spot.

I am in agreement with Al on changing your aproach as well. I happen to believe you can pattern coyotes, but as Al said they also can pattern you if you have bad habits. My notebook is a map as well. When things keep coming up roses with every group in an area you have a pattern you can base furither hunts on. It can besomething as simple as similar bedding grounds. You need to burn some shoe leather and read the story they are leaving. Jimmie

PA brushwolf

Thanks for all the help you guys. I've been burning the shoe leather, making lots of sets, and enjoying my lay off.  I got permission to hunt property that adjoins mine property, were there have been lots of tracks and signs of coyote. I talked to land owner today that told me back in the fall some others guys were hunting there.  My guess is that they educated them. Thanks again, I'll let you know when my luck turns for the better. Or when I need more help.