• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

HEY MECHANICS, I NEED HELP

Started by browning204, January 26, 2009, 09:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

browning204

My ATV 4-wheeler has gone kaput!

Here is the short of it,

It was working fine, we got a cold snap that got down to -15. Tried to run the atv but it would only run full choked. After a while of warming it up I took the choke off and it stalled never to start again. It still will not run and I can't figure out why.

Here is what I did so far....

replaced plug, getting spark
it is getting fuel
it is getting air

it will not run even while putting starter fluid in the carbs.

It just back fire very loud but will not catch and run.
could be timing but it is direct timing so probably not.

when I take the carb bowl off, gas comes out, gas also gets to plug.

can't start it by pulling or using starter.

any suggestions??

thanks!
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

FinsnFur

It's not getting enough fuel plain and simple.
Either ice in the lines, or a constricted line, or even ice in the carb, or just carb issues period....or even a fuel pump.
But it's not getting enough fuel if it runs on full choke.

Putting it on full choke reduces the amount of air being mixed with the fuel. And if it's not getting enough fuel, adding air to the ratio diminishes the amount of fuel it's getting, even more.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

browning204

It is not running at all right now period. It won't even catch with starter fluid in the carbs.

p.s. we are getting 10-14 inches if snow in a couple days. My 4-wheeler is how I clear my driveway. I am screwed!

browning204

I put HEET in the tank a week ago, nothing. when I pull the fuel lines from the carb, gas trickles out. Should it gush out?

when I say trickle I mean not fast but not like it is plugged. Just a slower kinda flow.

FinsnFur

Well, that depends on whether or not it has a fuel pump inside the tank that pushes the fuel once it IS running.
But still,  if there's something tony tebbied in the carb, it's not going to run when it does get the fuel.

Notice any leaks? A cracked fuel line will give it too much air also.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

5 SHOTS

:confused: :shrug: Bring it in the house overnight to thaw?  :biggrin:

Is it flooded?
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

browning204

It is definitely TT'ed up!

Nothing really as far as wear or busted hoses and lines. I am so stumped.

the only thing I have NOT done is taken in doors and blasted it with heat.

slagmaker

do you have a way to check your compresion? you may have burned some rings/vavles running it on choke in the bitter cold. It dosnt take too long and you can make your exhaust glow cherry red, I know I have done it.  Also pull your plug and try cranking it over. Do you get any kind of mist blowing out of the hole? you should get some, not much but some gas mixture blowing out the hole. No fog = no fuel getting to combustion chamber. But I doubt that sense you say it wont start with either.

But I would start with a compression check.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Okanagan

FWIW, a mechanic friend of mine who lives in COLD country in Alberta, Canada, happened to tell me last week that when people call him with a problem in really cold winter weather, he has them come over and put the rig in his heated garage, even if they have to tow it there.  Then he has a cup of coffee with them and talks awhile about whatever.  Nearly always the rig starts and runs OK when everything warms up.  It is worth a try and the easiest fix to attempt.

Silencer

Not that I'm much help but I'd bring in it in and warm it up like suggested. 

If your getting gas, spark, etc etc...  did you check all fuses ?  or maybe an on/off switch frozen and looks to be on but not ? 

Bills Custom Calls

First things first

Either will not start an engine without having anther fuel to mix with  :shrug:
If there is no gas and you spray either in the carb or air cleaner the motor will not start. This is a know fact

Bring it in get it warmed up, after warming and it still won't start check any smaller wires that may go to the starter/battery,ignition.you are looking for any sign of a burnt/broken wire.When it is cold things turn over harder draws more current through wires and could cause one to burn off
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

HaMeR

Check the engine oil level as well. It could have a safety shut off for when the oil gets low.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bigben

I'd say it is a polaris but all jokes aside.  we were riding on sunday and a guy on a brand new canam 400 starts his machine right up backs it off the trailer and drives over to his buddy and shuts it off.  he goes to turn it back on and it wouldn't.  same syptoms you described.  if the choke was full on it would run for a few seconds.  his was flooded though.  took the spark plug out and cranked it a bunch.  shurt the fuel off and cranked it with the spark plug in.  they pulled the plug and checked and it was dry.  put it back together and turned the fuel on and bam it started right up.  good luck with getting it fired.  I was hoping to get a good bit of snow here at home but now all we are going to get is ice. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

browning204

Quote from: bigben on January 27, 2009, 07:35:16 AM
I'd say it is a polaris but all jokes aside. 

That is the thing, it has been bullet proof until now. Can't figure it out for the life of me! :confused: :argh:

bigben

it is that way with all brands.  mine was acting up because of the cold on sunday also.  mine would start but would stay on high idle because the genious's at honda had the bright idea to use a 2 dollar electric motor to control the high idle.  when it gets cold the lube gets thick and the motor is too weak to move it. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.