• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Brent's Calls

Started by RShaw, December 06, 2006, 09:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RShaw

Here is a picture of one of two bobcats I called last Friday. The other cat was smaller and I really didn't think of taking the picture until I had it skinned. Anyhow the cats were killed on back to back stands. There was some driving between.

There was some snow about 10 miles south of me and I headed down that way. Good cat country. I started the stand with some rodent distress from the ecaller. Then some bird sounds. Waited a while and even though it was a cat stand, I cut loose with a couple of howls on Brent's howler. Thowed in a little pup distress and went silent for a while. Heard a squirrel start barking on the ditch north of me. Picked up Brent's blackbird call and started with some chirps and twills. After a bit the squirrel went quiet and just like when a gobbler shuts up, most of the time something is coming. I saw the cat come out of the ditch and head my way. Moved my gun just a little and he pinned me. We stared at each other for a bit, then he headed straight to me. Moved to put the scope on him and he really headed my way. Shot him in the chest at 20 yards.

Starting to get dark and I jumped in the truck and headed about 5 miles away. Just enough time for one more stand. Everything was almost an exact repeat. Except this time it was two squirrels and one of them was a grey. For me, the grey squirrells never lie. Had to do several series with the black bird this time before the pair of squirrels went quiet. This big tom came in mostly on his belly and peeked over a log at my position. I moved the gun and of course he pinned me. He did not hesitate and left the same way he came in except at a dead run. I made a lucky shot to the back of his head. Below is his picture.

Both cats came to the stand after a series of howls and kiyis on Brent's howler. This is something I would never have believed. I had been quiet for a while before I started with the blackbird .

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

Brad H

You seem to do quite well with cats be it trapping or calling, Randy.

Nice job. You're off to a great cat season there.

Brad

stevecriner

Hey Brad the lucky sucker is overun with them.... You think he would invite me and you to hunt em" :eyebrow:
" I love coyote huntin",and the folks that learned me the way"

Hunters Specialties
"For Sportsman, by Sportsman"

FinsnFur

Nice looking cat Randy  :congrats:
How far away was he when he was playing peek-a-boo?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

RShaw

Jim,  He was about 15 yards a way when he spotted me. I made the lucky shot around 30 yards as he left in a hurry. Just a ways farther and he would have been gone. I hunt some pretty tight stuff.

Brad and Steve, I would give you an invite, but then everyone would think we were friends. LOL

Did you get the package Brad?

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

stevecriner

@@$##^^$~$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hunters Specialties

Brad H

Yes I did. I PMed ya on PF on that yesterday. The e-mail notifications are sometimes slow on PMs there.

Brad

keekee

WOW! Thats just plain cool!!! Very nice cat!! And back to back! WOW! You the man Randy!

Only one draw back, everyone is calling cats with this new call but me....lol..Rich Baxter called one, Higgins and Tyler have called two in the last few weeks, Now you call two, and I haven't got to make the first cat stand yet....lol

I haft to go to KY to hunt cats, there deer season has been in scenes there cat season opened, now there black powder season is in, I am never going to get to make any cat stands  :rolleye:

But I sure am glad you guys are poring it on them! Way to go! :eyebrownod:

I need some pic's of those cats for the web site!

Congrads!

Brent

stevecriner

Im going to get one brent!!!!Tell me were to paypal or what...

Hunters Specialties

canine

Way to go Randy!! That sounds like you had a blast!!

Nice Cat.

JD

Bob D

Hey Randy, you da man on those cats. Good hunting story and results.
Bob

CrossJ

Shaw, That is a nice looking cat. Looks like it has a nice belly. Bring that blackbird with you to OK.
Brent, 'bout that blackbird.......details on what it is, closed or open reed etc.     Maintain, Geordie

keekee

Thanks for the intrest guys, here is a link to the page on the web site that gives all the info on the Black bird distress call. And we also feature it on the new sound CD on the bird distress on vol #2 along with  3 more bird distress sounds.

Its a closed reed call, made with the ball style mouth piece. It has a diffrent reed set in the barrel of the call. The reed sets away from the call body, so the reed never touches the call body inside the barrel. Its made out of black dirlin material and is around 3" long.

New news......I have been working on a "Mega Black Bird call", its being tested now, and has 25 times the volume than this call and yet the same out and will also produce Cottontail rabbit sounds as well.....But its still in the testing stage at this point?

Just go down to custom predator calls and click the "Black Bird Distress call" Full write up and pic's of the call.

http://www.keescalls.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=8&category_id=9&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Thanks,
Brent

stevecriner

I just ordered me one of those cat killiomg MOCHIIIINES!

Hunters Specialties