• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

To Trap or Not to Trap?

Started by cathryn, April 22, 2009, 06:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathryn

How many of you that trapped this past seasonl have decided not to make any sets next year because of the current state of the economy and the fur market?

Coulter

Heeeeyyyyyy.....That's just not in my vocabulary. While the fur checks are nice every once and a while. I intend to trap heavier next season. Not trapping is not an option :yoyo:

Are you heading to any trappers rendezvous' this year? There is one coming up in a few here in PA.

Steve

cathryn

isnt i funny how when the prices go down most people quit? fiar weather" trappers" amuse me.

when the price is down is when ya go after them harder to make up for the difference in numbers.

we had over 300 coon this year and while we dont look to sell many of them in Canada, it was a personal best on coon numbers. the people here said we were nuts to kep going after them but they will sell,eventually.

Hidehunter

I'm definatly gonna hit it hard next year.  Didnt get to set a single trap this season due to work but will make up for it next year.  I helped my brother in law set a few this season and that was it.  I think I was going through withdrawls
Denver                                           

alscalls

I quit several years ago because it was costing me to much $ to travel every day and get almost no return. :sad:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

pitw

As long as I have the health and wealth to go trapping I will.  I made good money a few years at it but I do it now and will continue to do it because I just love to be outside tracking animals.
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

I help those I have taught from time to time and trap nuisance animals when someone needs help......I only wish I could get back into it again I miss it. :rolleye:
AL

Coulter

Al...if you quit targeting those oppossum you might get a few bucks for your catch :biggrin:

I think I have figured out a way to juggle a trapline and still get in my alotment of waterfowling. We'll see this season :wink:

Steve

Hidehunter

Quote from: Coulter on April 22, 2009, 09:03:49 AM
Al...if you quit targeting those oppossum you might get a few bucks for your catch :biggrin:

:roflmao:  :roflmao:
Denver                                           

alscalls

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Naahh......just live in town now and got tired of all the running back and forth before work.....Does not help that all the plants are closing and keeping a day job is tough around here.
AL

cathryn

we averaged 3.93 on our possum last year with a 7.00 high. we had 80 on the sale.

that 300.00 paid for alot of gas for us.

this year we sent 91 to Canada.

possum get a bad rap,imo,they are easy to skin and put up.

trappinjohn

Quote from: Coulter on April 22, 2009, 06:33:01 AM
I intend to trap heavier next season. Not trapping is not an option :yoyo:

+1   :biggrin:

cathryn

do you guys sell your fur to a local buyer or ship to either NAFA or Fur Harvesters?

pitw

I've sent mine to NAFA the past three years .

Hidehunter

I go to a local fur auction.  Never sent to NAFA before but plan on checking it out next season.
Denver                                           

cathryn

we ship to NAFA. overall the results have been better there than what the local buyers pay.

Coulter

I ship mine up to the FHA auctions. I use them more for convenience than anything. There is a guy that stops 10 minutes from my house on his way to Ontario to pick up furs. I used to sell to local furbuyers, but they are an hour away and I got tired of being burned. I don't necessarily trap for the money, but I know what my furs are worth and I refuse to let somebody continue to burn me. If I shipped to NAFA I would either have to mail my furs to the agent or drive 2 hours one way. I'll stick with the FHA. I haven't been disappointed yet.

Steve

pitw

FHA and NAFA are both good places to get rid of fur's.  When FHA was OTA I used them all the time but like Steve I use NAFA cause it's easier for me.

frshwtr

as long as i can set the traps and get out to check them its a go. dont do much fox trapping anymore, to hard on the knees, but i can still wade in the water.