• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

End of season hunt...honest opinions needed please.

Started by Coulter, May 25, 2009, 03:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

No I don't need an opinion on a call. I mentioned writing a book a while back and I just haven't had time to start doing so. Well I finally decided to start that after todays hunt and would like some opinions from you guys. Keep in mind this is an unedited version and will likely be revised numerous times. But this will give the gist of some of the stories I would like to include in the book if I ever get it done. and yes there will be stories of predator hunts, trapline experiences and waterfowl hunts, maybe even some fishing stories. Thanks ahead for any input...

A Perfect Turkey Hunt

My big plan to sneak into the woods under a cloak of darkness for the last day of spring gobbler season was foiled. As my truck raced to the predetermined rendezvous point in the spring turkey woods the dark of night relinquished its grip as the morning dawn overpowered it from the east. As I reached my destination an immediate decision was required. Another hunter had beaten me to my spot. I decided to stick to then plan and hope to find a clue of which way the other hunter may have gone. As I walked down the grass covered path I noticed some of the grass was matted down from where someone else had stepped not long before. This got me thinking he was heading to my preferred spot. As I approached a creek crossing I scanned for any other visible signs. Sure enough, a wet boot print on a piece of slate revealed his direction of travel.
   I’m not one to hunt in an area that I know another hunter is in, so I proceeded with plan B which included taking an alternate path as well as a ¾ mile hike back into the woods. No big deal.
   When I was half way to my secondary location I decided to call and see if I could get a response from any Tom that may be within hearing range. The woods remained quiet, save for the music of the songbirds welcoming a new morning.
   As I continued my journey I thought I heard something. As I stopped I heard it again. The telltale sound of a lonely hen was making its way through the dense foliage to me. I immediately thought it may be the other hunter calling. Could I have been wrong while reading the sign earlier? Either way, my plan was not to hunt that spot so I persisted to my location.
   I entered the woods at the northernmost end of a food plot where a narrow ridge begins and drops into a hollow on either side. As I left the field the raucous yelps and clucks of that hen began again from the bottom of the eastern hollow below. She was heading the same direction I was, but on a different level.
   â€œGreat” I thought to myself. “At least I know now that it wasn’t another hunter calling earlier”. This put me a bit more at ease, yet still vigilant for other hunters. Then the wheels started turning.
   This ridge drops off and becomes a point around the area I intended to setup. Both hollows converge and become one. Maybe I can get ahead of her and she’ll bring a Big Boss Tom in tow. Leaves crackled and sticks snapped under foot as I made haste to arrive and get setup ahead of her.
   Setting up is fairly quick for me. I basically unfold my sitting pad, swap my orange hat out for a camo version and post it on a tree nearby, place my camera nearby and get out my favorite assortment of calls. Of course I dawn a facemask and gloves as well, but I forego any decoys. I have used them in the past, but they just don’t seem to fit in with the style of hunting that I prefer. They are a useful tool when hunting open fields; however, I rarely hunt in fields. I am usually found chasing birds in forested tracts of land where visibility is limited, especially this time of year. But I digress; this story is not about the pros and cons of using or not using turkey decoys.
   After letting an hour or so pass and gnawing on some venison jerky during my failed ambush attempt I decided it was about time to pack up. The hen failed to make any more noise and the antics of the squirrels and chipmunks had lost its entertainment value long ago. I stood up and removed my facemask and stretched my muscles a bit. As I turned to start picking up my gear a gobble resounded from the bottom of the western hollow.
   â€œDid I really just hear that” I thought as I scrambled to grab my favorite slate and cherry striker. A couple of boisterous clucks were quickly answered by another gobble. As I surveyed the area and anticipated the direction the turkey might appear I decided my setup was all wrong. I quickly grabbed my needed gear and scratched out a new spot to sit alongside the western side of the ancient hickory tree.
   A series of clucks, with a few yelps mixed in for good measure, got an immediate response. But the bird sounded like he was heading south on me. Moving was not an option, but I realized he was likely much closer than he sounded. The dense foliage really restricts the distance that a gobble may be heard this time of year. I responded back to him with more excited clucks, but tried to make it sound like I was moving away from him. He answered again, but still seemed to be in the same location.
   I waited a few minutes before calling again and was offered no response when I sent out a series of clucks. I’m not an expert turkey hunter or anything; however, I do know birds do come in silent at times. The dense cover meant the bird would practically be sitting in my lap before I saw him. My best bet was to remain as still as a statue. The anticipation was killing me.
   â€œStay calm” I thought to myself and I thought I was doing a remarkable job of doing so.
   â€œRemember, move very slowly when you scan the area and turn your eyes first, then your head - Slowly now! Left to right, right to left…that’s it.”
   An eternity had lapsed and nothing had happened. Okay it was really more like five minutes. I continued to scan the area and thought about grabbing my favorite box call that sealed the deal on a bird two years prior.
   â€œOkay, reach for the box while scanning. Slowly now! Left to right, right to…Whoa! That big white mushroom wasn’t on that tree a second ago! And it sure as heck wasn’t bobbing its way towards me! There he is! He’s fifty yards out and closing.”
   Instantly, all control of a normal heartbeat was lost as my blood raced through my veins. Adrenalin kicked into overdrive as it quickly assumed its role of rendering my arms and hands into a trembling mass that would rival any pile of shivering Jell-O.
   The big bird was in full view now as he puffed into a half strut and closed another ten yards. He remained silent as can be, scanning the woods for the love of his life. One more step.
   â€œI wonder how big his spurs are. Stay focused man!” The bead of the 12 gauge followed its mark as he drew closer. This bird was on a mission and he knew exactly where that hen was. He was coming in as if I had a rope around his neck and was pulling him to me. At 35 yards my quarry stopped and seemed to stare right through me. My eyes shifted and my mind raced. This bird had the look of a mob boss that had just been duped by one of his cronies.
   â€œThis is it, it’s now or never. Remember, squeeze the trigger, don’t jerk it. It should surprise you when it goes off.”
   Time seemed to stand still as we both knew the jig was up. The muzzle of my gun erupted as the sound echoed from the bottom of both hollows. The bird flopped to the ground and almost instantly regained composure and flew through a patch of hemlocks. I watched baffled waiting for my trophy to fall from the sky mortally wounded. The only crashing came from the powerful wings breaking through the boughs of the tree.
   I picked my jaw back up and ran in the direction of where he flew. I found nothing, nothing but humility that is. I could not believe what just happened; an ideal opportunity on the last day of the season, blown.
   Dejected? Sure.
   Humbled? Absolutely!
   But does this all really constitute a perfect hunt? I don’t have any meat on the table or trophy hanging on the wall. I didn’t roost, or put to bed, any birds the night the before. It certainly wasn’t a text book turkey hunt by any means. So how is it a perfect hunt?
   Please let me explain why I feel this was, in fact, a perfect hunt. I consider it to be a successful hunt, my goals were set and I achieved each of them…even through obstacles. But what about the bird you ask? Well that is the harvest, not the hunt. The hunt was successful in every way. It resulted in finding my game and coaxing it within range. It climaxed with the adrenalin rush and heart pounding through my chest. It culminated with the discharging of my firearm. Though, this aspect isn’t always necessary to constitute a perfect hunt. The click of the shutter on a camera may suffice in meeting this requisite. Or merely sighting the game you are pursuing may be equivalent to a perfect hunt. It really depends on the circumstances and what you desire to gain from the overall hunting experience.
   Don’t get me wrong here…I spent hours after the hunt replaying everything in my mind and wondering if I did something wrong or could have done something more to increase my odds. Well sure, I could have hoped and waited until the bird came closer. But past experiences told me not to. The way the bird was acting was a sure signal to me that he was not getting any closer. In fact, it is pretty likely he was heading for the next county in a matter of seconds. I don’t believe I did anything wrong in this situation. I acted based on what I knew from past experience. The bird was well within my firearms capability, it was just a matter of it being his lucky day.
   The bottom line is it was a great hunt and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The bird and I are both more educated now and you can bet I’ll be back next spring to pay him another visit.

nastygunz

Heres my opinion...after reading that I almost said the hell with work and went turkey hunting! :yoyo:

vvarmitr

I would drop the discussion on decoys.  All I need to know is what we have in our bag of tricks. Other than that you had me feeling like I was a mouse in your shirt pocket watching this all go down.  :biggrin:

alscalls

I like it fine......You should consult a pro for an opinion and let us know what comes of it.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

HaMeR

I liked it too. I think the decoy discussion should be eliminated tho. Maybe something like this,,, 
QuoteSetting up is fairly quick for me. I basically unfold my sitting pad, swap my orange hat out for a camo version and post it on a tree nearby, place my camera nearby and get out my favorite assortment of calls. Of course I dawn a facemask and gloves as well,
,, could read,, I posted my blaze orange cap on a tree nearby & got set up real quick. I tossed my seat cushion on the ground,got comfy & pulled my face mask on. I was ready!!

Just a thought.  :wink:

Overall tho it was a purdy good story & well worth the time it took to read it.  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Coon hunter

Well I think ti was a exiting and a very good read.
Quality Whole sale and customer Taxidermy

Coon hunting  Its a passion .

FinsnFur

Ya done good Son. :wink:

Have you tried selling articles to the outdoor magazines? It might be a good way to start. You definitely got what it takes to transfer it all from your noggin to paper.
Most people, myself included, find ourselves cutting details and getting to the point, but that's what separates a writer.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it. I was a bit hesitant to put the discussion about decoys in there as well. It seemed to be a little off topic and kind of out of the blue. That's why I kind of cut it short, that will likely be omitted in the editing process. I do actually have an in with a local professional outdoor writer as well. I just need to send him an email back and we will be doing some kayaking together and discussing it further :biggrin: His name is Mr. Jerry Bush. He did an article on trapping for our local paper a few years back and his trapping information came mostly from my trapline. He rode with me to check traps and had a good time. He has had articles published in Fur-Fish-Game, PA Outdoor News, as well as some other publications.  I may also consult with some of my professors for any insight. I know one of my past English professors is an avid fly fisherman and I'm sure I could pick his brain a bit.

You know its funny, I can tell a story on paper with ease, but when it comes to spitting it out verbally I miss all kinds of good info. I blame my wife for that. She just doesn't appreciate it when I try to spin a good yarn...truth or not :biggrin:

I have not tried to sell any articles to outdoor publications yet Jim. I have had an article or two appear in some outdoor related newsletters, but that6 is about it. I have thought about submitting something but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet. I do agree - details are what makes a good story into a great story. As long as you don't go overboard and describe every leaf on the forest floor.

I have all kinds of articles that I have thought out including details, I just haven't sat down to right them yet. Most are just from last years hunts. I can't wait until the season opens up again.

Thanks again for the input,
Steve

vvarmitr

You haven't submitted any articles to the rags.  :huh:

I have about 6 articles I want to write for the The Varmint Hunters Magazine. Just need to get my butt in gear & "get er done!"  :eyebrownod:

Coulter

Nope, I guess I can skirt that feeling of my writing being rejected if I don't submit it in the first place :shrug: Maybe one of these days I'll give it a whirl.

Steve

Coon hunter

I have thaught about Writing a book about some of the funny coon hunts Me and My friends had when when where Kids . There pretty funny. Not as funny as the Legendary Jerry Clower But Still funny.
Quality Whole sale and customer Taxidermy

Coon hunting  Its a passion .

alscalls

Quote from: Coulter on May 27, 2009, 07:24:24 PM
Nope, I guess I can skirt that feeling of my writing being rejected if I don't submit it in the first place :shrug: Maybe one of these days I'll give it a whirl.

Steve

Whats this maybe stuff??........Sorry but I cringe at the thought of the experiences I would have missed if I had said that about guiding steelhead.....I wound up meeting Ted Nugent, Paul leakala (<---think I spelled it wrong -a favorite Outdoor writer) and many more folks that I never dreamed fishing would take me too.....
I remember Paul telling me once.....He did not like it but he had to take a pick once in July...in a winter coat in an ice shanty for a deadline......He said the story was true and that was important....but the pick made him laugh and he wished he had his camera for every trip.....so take pics.
GO FOR IT! the only bad thing that can come from it is someone will say you need work and offer advice on how to get better..
And you never know where it will lead you.
Someday is now....to change your life, you better hurry......its a short trip.....and you got the stuff so get to it. :wink:
AL

Coulter

Thanks for the words of encouragement Al...I appreciate it. Hey, maybe you can come up and guide me on some of the steelhead streams around here. I don't really need a guide, but it would be fun anyway :biggrin: I'll have to sit down this weekend and look at some of the other excerpts of past hunts and maybe put together some more stories. I want to fine tune the turkey story first though. I hate to not write this stuff down...mainly because I know that each memory will sooner or later be replaced with a fresher memory. I hate to see any of them lost forever. I guess I have some work to do.

I sent the story to Jerry Bush (a local outdoor writer) to seek his advice and critique. We'll see where it goes from there.

Steve

alscalls

If he dont get back to ya bug him......and tell him.......good or bad you just want to know....Never give up.
The man up your way That most impresses me is Da fishin fool.....he does some wonderful fishing in PA & Ohio

http://www.steelheadschool.com/

I have not had the chance to fish with him yet but have had many friends go with him and all reports were excellent!
Very reasonable prices and he supplies the rods and tackle. :wink:
AL

LORDDAL

Loved the story Steve would love to read more felt like I was right there with you the whole time that how it should be man you get that book done I would buy a copy but youd have to promise youd autograph it for me  :biggrin: until then lets see some more hunts my friend

Charlie
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

coyotehunter_1

Coulter,
That's as good a read as some of the short stories I've seen published in hunting mags. Go for it... you'll never know unless you try.  :wink:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

vvarmitr

Pat, aka coyote101, had a quote from Winston Churchill ...
Success is going from failure to failure w/o a loss of enthusiasm."

Just do it!  ;yes;

HaMeR

QuoteSuccess is going from failure to failure w/o a loss of enthusiasm."

:confused:  So this makes me a successful coyote hunter too??   :laf: :laf:

Actually it doesn't but I still enjoy every trip out anyhow.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bills Custom Calls

http://www.billscustomcalls.net