• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Another trick , to put in your bag.

Started by zapper223, December 31, 2006, 10:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapper223

Im sure this has been mentioned in the past . For anyone who hasn't tried it ,or thought of it . On most of the properties I hunt , there are also deer hunters, using the same areas. After confirming, they're done with the deer for the season. I keep track of the locations of the stands. Which are very often, in the same areas that the coyotes travel . ie: funnels, bedding fringes etc. etc.
               Being that I hunt alone 99 % of the time. It can be a great advantage to use the stands . I've found that calling from the elevated position, can be very effective . I use strictly hand calls . And haven't had any problems , with them looking up and seeing me. On more then one occasion Ive seen the dog , and been able to work it into a better position for the shot. They have for the most part , kept there focus down towards the ground, instead of looking up. This has also worked for cats. Whenever possible, I'll use a stand to get  my scent off the ground, as well as affording much better visibility. Of course allways watch downwind , just like a ground set-up. More then once ,I've had them approach from directly downwind , to the point of shooting , right at the base of the tree the stand was in. Without any indication of them getting my wind. When doing this, I often give the tree, at stand height , a spray of coon urine, just for good measure.

zapper223
It was so windy, the hen layed the same egg five times !!!

Hawks Feather

Great idea.   I just don't have a  harness and don't want to fall out of a tree.  Something about old bones (especially mine) breaking that doesn't sound good.

Jerry

zapper223

I should have mentioned , allways be safe. I wear a harness when I hunt from any elevated platform. I know in advance , if I need to bring one or not. Also check the stands for integrity , before hand.

zapper223
It was so windy, the hen layed the same egg five times !!!