• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Work with me here....

Started by WldWldWest, January 12, 2011, 03:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WldWldWest

I wanna reconfigure my way of sitting  when I make a set. What kind of chair, stool or whatever do you sit on while predator hunting? Mine is like a camo beach chair ya know what I'm talking about? The one that sits lower in the back than the front that ya gotta kinda roll to one side to get out of :hahaha:. Mine is really light just unhandy to tote around for any distance. So I'm in the market for something else just not sure what is yet. So......Somebody tell me what I'm looking for please.

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FinsnFur

I actually have the same problem. I usually set on my legs or if there's a lot of snow, I'll squat. But it's getting to the point I cant get back up cause both legs fall asleep setting like that.  :doh2:

If I ever had to get up and go in a hurry I'd have snow in my teeth.

Rick uses a turkey seat, which straps to him like a backpack. When he sets down, the chair is automatically right there.
I've never been able to find or afford one I like.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

pitw

Interesting thread.  I use a stadium seat and am looking forward to some other easy carry items.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Jimmie in Ky

I wear a turkey hunting vest with seat attached. It automatically drops in place as I sit. Keeps me dry and comfortable to a point.  But like some others it is getting harder to get up off the ground these days. Arther do cause his problems for us geriatric folk  :biggrin:

HaMeR

Some folks like to stand next to a tree so they can see better too. Your area might not dictate that tactic tho.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

I use a turkey seat similar to the one HaMeR posted about Frogman.   I also wear a turkey vest with a seat attached but I leave the seat folded up to serve as a back rest against the tree.  Very comfortable. 

weedwalker

I use a turkey seat that's about 7" tall or a folding stool that sits about 15" tall. I can't sit on the ground. My legs would be asleep in just a couple minutes. I like the taller folding stool the best.

Okanagan

I'm using a Walkstool now, the highest 26 inch tall version, which is a little too high for normal comfort on level ground unless the legs sink into soft ground a bit.  I bought it a couple of years ago for about $40 which is outrageous for a three legged stool.  I drilled more holes in the legs to take the spring loaded buttons, so that it adjusts to different heights.  That also lets each leg extend a different length so it fits on steep sloping ground.

I have used MANY types of seats for predator calling and have never found the perfect item, including some I have made, but this one will do.  It telescopes the legs short enough to easily fit in a day pack, and with a closed cell foam pad, is comfortable enough.  I sit on it for hour long stands. 

Next project is to put spike ends on the legs so I can use the stool more securely on big stumps or on big old growth logs.

Google Walkstool.

WldWldWest

All good Idea's, Thank's! I tried the turkey vest But since I always carry a daypack of some sort it makes it kinda unhandy, Yotehntr has a seat like the one HaMaR talked about but I really want something with a back on it. Seems like it never fails not to be able to find just the right tree to get against. Maybe If I just lost this gut my problem would be solved and I could kneel or squat with out looking like one of....Well, you know!

I really like the on I use most but If ya walk or climb very much its hard to keep it from banging into your rifle and such and I dont like scuffing my shootin irons! :shrug:

Prolly not a perfect solution for my delima but I thought I would ask to see what ya'll use?

I think I need a Caddie :biggrin:

!

coyote101

Doug if I am going to hunt the edge of fields where I won't have a tree to lean against I use a cheap Walmart version of the Crazy Creek chair. Pretty comfortable and it allows me to lean back and take the strain off of my back. I can't sit still for more than a few minutes if my back starts to bother me.

http://www.crazycreek.com/product/1/1/

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

WldWldWest

That's really close to what I have now HaMaR but mine doesnt fold up as compact as that one does I'll have to check it out a lil more, I also like the one Pat has.

!

pitw

My unit is a lot like Pat's but it zippers up both sides making a good bag to carry a coke and camera in.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Carolina Coyote

bigben

I use a ameristep stool.  gets me off the ground about a foot.  it has a small area under the seat to carry things.  my ecall and a water bottle fits well.  Tommarow at cabelas I am gonna look at the speedy yote seat they just came out with.  I already have a predator vest I don't use because it is too small over my hunting jacket.  if I dont have the ameristep seat I use a hs strut style turkey seat but it is made of steel.  I got it at a local sportsman's liquidation store. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

FinsnFur

Pat can you actually lean back in that and be supported, without it snapping and then a guy goes rolling head over heals backwards :laf:

Remember I've been laid off and I am wintering :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

coyote101

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 13, 2011, 09:49:55 PM
Pat can you actually lean back in that and be supported, without it snapping and then a guy goes rolling head over heals backwards :laf:

Yes
They are really very comfortable. I also use one in the canoe when I'm fishing.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Butcher45

I'm keeping my eye out for a 4ft wooden ladder.  Feels like a big dis-advantage sitting on the ground, especially when calling in the thick stuff.