• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Landowner and Dog's....What would you do?

Started by WldWldWest, February 20, 2011, 12:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WldWldWest

Yesterday young son and I Finally got permission to hunt a fairly large farm around here So yesterday morning we met the landowner at the local Biscuit shop at 7am and after breakfast we headed out to let him show us this new piece of property he had bought. I feel privileged to be able to hunt this guy's property as he is a well know contractor around Nash and has a really nice farm and he's not known to have much time for anyone.

After we drove around and got a lay of the land as he was about to be on his way he looked me in the eye and said Doug, The Dogs around here are killing my calf's and if you see any dog's Kill em! I mean any! Well the way I figured it my chance of seeing a dog was prolly gonna be slim to none so off we went. We had made a couple of stands with no luck and made our way around a corner of a field and DAMNT, there were 3 Big ole dogs laying around a brush pile bout 200 yds away. I was more pissed that we had walked all that distance to find the dogs had buggered up my Yote hunt than anything else. Well young son and all his wisdom looks at me and say's what now? We were kinda squatted down watching them and one of em keyed in on us and here they came growlling and barking and running full speed and I looked at Colt as he was laying down his bolt gun and drawing his 1911 I said they may have answered the question for me! I told Colt when they get to 50yds  start killing em as I pushed off the safety on my AR. As luck would have it they stopped at about 50yds or so and started barking so I started walking towards them and they ran under the fence towards the house where he said the dogs lived. We finished out the hunt with no luck but It was still a good hunt!

Okay, I'm not gonna shoot a dog (With exceptions to that rule) If it were my calfs that might be a different story. (Kinda makes me wonder if that was the only reason he wanted us to hunt that piece of property) And I didnt tell him about our lil run in. What would you have done?
Oh yea....2 of the dogs had collars on them.

The exceptions to my rule are If muffin bites me, I'm gonna kill him. If muffin happens to be a Pit Bull and walks across my yard I'm gonna kill him.
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Bills Custom Calls

What was your reply to the farmer when he told you if you see any dogs kill em
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

WldWldWest

!

KySongDog

It is real simple to me. 

The land owner said if you see any dogs to kill 'em so I would kill any dog on the man's property. 

pitw

I would do what you did Doug.  Having worked with different land owners pretty much my entire life, I've found they have their own personal squabbles that I can't afford to let get in my road.  What happens if you shoot the dog?  The guy who owned it may have had something for you but you'll never see it now. :sad:  If there are dogs that need shooting then it's a new game but just on one persons say so doesn't make it so. :shrug:
I say what I think not think what I say.

WldWldWest

Not simple at all for me Semp, I can see that Lil ole boy sitting on his porch somewhere with his head in his hands wondering where his dog is, I cant do it.

Man shoots my dog for wandering a lil bit, he aint gonn like me. Now if my dog is doing damage to his livestock or property thats a different story. It wasnt my dog or my property, My opinion its not my business. If it means I cant hunt there anymore then so be it. But I will sleep good knowing I didnt shoot someones pet or some kids best friend.

!

Tikaani

As I see it he is getting you to do his dirty work.  Dogs wander, hell mine do on occasion so do my neighbors, one guys comes near our property once in awhile and never stops barking in the morning, I have often thought that one of my connibear 330's and it would be over.  A guy in Anchorage did just that and he was the one who went to court.  I also agree with you, I own dogs, they are part of our family, how would I feel if that happened.  In the end it is the land owners situation to deal with not yours, if $hit hits the fan and you killed them don't expect him to stand by your side and defend you, he can't even face his neighbor and solve his own problem.  Just my opinion WWW.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

CCP

I do pretty much what you did. When a land owner ask me to shoot any dog I see I reply if it's got a collar I cant but no collar I may.

In a case where the dog aint got a collar and obviously looks to belong to someone and isn't bothering nothing I leave it. Like you I don't want to get involved in what could be a neighbor conflict thrown off to me. I know in most states you can shoot a dog on your property but this isn't your property or leased nor official overseer. You are just a guest plus if someone see's you shoot their dog would said landowner pay for your time or court fee's if any?

I know I dont what to create or be apart of any trouble that could lead to the law or other wise over a dog. :rolleye:

Me and Tikaani seemed to be typing at the same time along the same lines.  :wo:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FOsteology

In Texas, it behooves one to do as the land owner wishes....

However, when it comes to dogs (except for feral), I agree with WWW. I'd respectfully tell the land owner that I personally have a problem with killing someone's dog, with the exception of it actually posing a threat to human life, and/or I see it attacking livestock or deer.  Should that preclude me from obtaining permission to hunt his/her land.... so be it.

Tikaani

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

Bills Custom Calls

Quote from: WldWldWest on February 20, 2011, 12:29:47 PM
Having dog problems Huh?

I dont Lie.....

Doug
I never meant that to sound as you lied
Everyone has standards and you stood by yours

Carolina Coyote

It is a hard decision to kill a dog especially when it has a collar on or looks to be well fed. Down in Georgia there are a lot of stray dogs from people dropping them out and then they pack up if the Coyotes don't get them, I have picked up a few dogs that had been dropped out and found them a good home but when they pack up and start running Deer its a different story. I think I would have done what WWW did. cc

WldWldWest

Quote from: Bills Custom Calls on February 20, 2011, 04:08:50 PM
Quote from: WldWldWest on February 20, 2011, 12:29:47 PM
Having dog problems Huh?

I dont Lie.....

Doug
I never meant that to sound as you lied
Everyone has standards and you stood by yours

No worries Bill, I didnt take it that way.
I was frying fish as I was typing that and shouldnt have been so short!

!

KySongDog

Quote from: WldWldWest on February 20, 2011, 12:09:49 PM

After we drove around and got a lay of the land as he was about to be on his way he looked me in the eye and said Doug, The Dogs around here are killing my calf's and if you see any dog's Kill em!

I can understand the problem some have about killing dogs.   But the man stated the dogs were killing his calf's.   If you had a problem with doing what he asked why didn't you tell him so up front?    By giving you permission, when you didn't object, he understood that was what you were going to do.   Seems a bit dishonest to me to not have told him you had a problem with shooting dogs. 

As for me on my farm, a dog without a collar doesn't live long. 

coyotehunter_1

Here's what the law says....

Shooting a dog in Tennessee only legal in some cases
By DENAE D'ARCY
6 News Anchor/Reporter
Posted: Nov 22, 2010 4:56 PM EST

KNOXVILLE (WATE) - After a dog was found shot three times over the weekend in Sevier County, several 6 News viewers questioned whether it's legal to shoot a dog that wanders onto their property.
The dog is still alive. It was found limping through a field near Porterfield Gap and Boyd's Creek Road, and a woman rushed it to a veterinarian for care.
Knoxville attorney Greg Issacs explained Tennessee state law when it comes to animal abuse.  "If you don't like the cats that are in the barn, be prepared to go to jail if you pull out the gun."
In Tennessee it is illegal to shoot a dog that wanders onto your property. It is an offense to "knowingly and unlawfully kill the animal of another without the owner's effective consent." TCA 39-14-205(a)(1)(A). Such a killing is deemed a "theft of property, graded according to the value of the animal." TCA 39-14-205(B).
However, as Issacs explained, "You do have the right if a vicious dog comes on your property and you're in danger, you can absolutely defend yourself."
Unless a person is under attack or their pet is under attack, Issacs said, "It is against the law to shoot an animal, period. There could be a very serious criminal case in the laws of Tennessee."
The dog is being cared for by the Tri-County Vet Clinic. He will be adopted out as soon as he is healthy.
Source:
http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=13551485

More…
Tennessee consolidated dog laws:
Title 44. Animals and Animal Husbandry. Chapter 17. Dogs and Cats.
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stustnst44_17_101_505.htm#s44_4_408
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

CCP

Doug after reading coyotehunter_1 post I sure as hell glad you didn't post about the 2 dogs you killed on someone else's property.  :innocentwhistle: :huh:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

coyote101

§ 44-17-203. Killing or injuring dogs; defenses

In an action for damages against a person for killing or injuring a dog, satisfactory proof that the dog had been or was killing or worrying livestock constitutes a good defense to such action.

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

WldWldWest

Quote from: Semp on February 20, 2011, 07:35:56 PM
Quote from: WldWldWest on February 20, 2011, 12:09:49 PM
After we drove around and got a lay of the land as he was about to be on his way he looked me in the eye and said Doug, The Dogs around here are killing my calf's and if you see any dog's Kill em!

I can understand the problem some have about killing dogs.   But the man stated the dogs were killing his calf's.   If you had a problem with doing what he asked why didn't you tell him so up front?    By giving you permission, when you didn't object, he understood that was what you were going to do.   Seems a bit dishonest to me to not have told him you had a problem with shooting dogs. 

As for me on my farm, a dog without a collar doesn't live long.
As we were riding around he was in his truck and my son and I were in mine following so there wasnt any conversation between us.
When I had a phone conversation a couple days prior to the hunt there was no mention of dog's,Killing dog's or anything about dogs or I would have told him that I wasnt gonna make the hour long drive cause one, I wanted to hunt coyotes not dog's and the man waited till the last second before he drove away to mention it and It kinda caught me offguard so if thats being dishonest as you say well.....Tough shit! I guess I'm dishonest! But I aint no dog killer.

!

Bills Custom Calls

I know what I would have done,but that is me.The farmer stated he was having problems I would have had no problem helping him out,But Doug seems to have a bit of a heart and compassion here.Seems as though he thought outside the box here.
If Doug would have posted he seen the dogs ripping hell out of a calf or chasing deer and he let them go I would have a different opinion of him

KySongDog

Quote from: WldWldWest on February 20, 2011, 08:33:47 PM

When I had a phone conversation a couple days prior to the hunt there was no mention of dog's,Killing dog's or anything about dogs or I would have told him that I wasnt gonna make the hour long drive cause one, I wanted to hunt coyotes not dog's and the man waited till the last second before he drove away to mention it and It kinda caught me offguard so if thats being dishonest as you say well.....Tough shit! I guess I'm dishonest! But I aint no dog killer.

Whoa!  Chill out.  Don't get your panties in a wad.   The title of this thread is "Landowner and Dog's....What would you do?"   I told you what I would do and then you went in to rant about not killing dogs.  You didn't have any problem hunting on the man's farm though, did ya?   I said why not be up front with the man.  Look the man in the eye and tell him how you feel.  You chose not to and that's fine with me.  But that ain't the way I operate.

According to Coyotehunter_1, it looks like Tennessee has laws against shooting any animals including dogs and cats.   So like CCP said, it is a good thing you didn't pull the trigger.

When the man gets tired of his calf's dying, he'll figure out how to handle the problem on his own.