• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Badger

Started by snafu, October 02, 2014, 07:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

I believe what I witnessed awhile back. Was the dispersal/scattering of a young male badger. From it's home territory. The large badger (closet to me) was submissive. The smaller of the two (farthest away from me) was the aggressor. 

Below is a series of pics as this event unfolded.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

snafu

I suspect the smaller badger was an alpha female. She chased the large badger more than 1/2 mile. Down the gravel road. She would stop, then turn back around & head back. To where they had come from. The cub would sit down face back her way & make a whining/chattering noise. Then he would follow her again. This carried on for around 1/2 an hr. Finally she had enough of this. Then she ran him down biting his rump. As she ran him down into the road ditch near me.
Note her jaws are open when she is bearing down on him. Not good. Momma not happy? better run  :laf:

snafu

She's gaining, run badger...run.

snafu

Cub paused to look back & see where she was. Bad idea, he's about to get his butt kicked.

snafu

She's on him. Too late  :eyebrownod:

snafu

She ran him down into the grassy ditch right near me & kicked his butt. He never followed her again.

msmith

Now there's some cool pics!  :highclap:
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

coyote101

That is a great series of shots.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Dale

most excellent... would like to have a nice badger skin for a wall hanging...  what state did this take place in?...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

JohnP

Thanks for posting them, sure are nice.  Note the claws and teeth on them critters.  I found them hard to skin and they sure do stink.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

Yes, great series of pics.

Ditto to John:  hard to skin.  Their hide is so attached as I recall (years ago) that we had to cut every bit and it would not pull off like most animals will.  An odd feature was how they would turn inside their skin when fighting our hounds.  The dog would grab a big bite/hold and the badger would kind of slide around inside his skin while the dog bite held firm on his outer hide.  Then the badger would clamp down with a bone crushing bite on foot, leg or whatever part of the dog he could get hold of.

In the sandy volcanic ash soil of Eastern WA State a badger can dive into the ground almost like water, digging a hole from the surface and disappearing within seconds.    He could dig faster than I could with a shovel, as I learned. 

HaMeR

Wow that is a cool scenario!! Glad you got pics to share!! Thanks!!   :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

MI VHNTR

Excellent pictures and something most people will never see. Thanks for the pictures and the story.
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

FinsnFur

Awesome pics Snafu :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

snafu

Thanks. I've never seen this before. It was quite interesting & I was fortunate to witness this event.

Some yrs back I watched an old pr of coyotes scatter their pups, late December. Seen that same pr do that twice. As I just happened to cross paths with them during 2 different Winters. Both times the pr dispersed their pups. During the 3rd wk of December. Of which I (believe) was caused from the old adult female coming into heat. I use to have pics of those events. But lost them due to a PC virus.

Okanagan

Yep, you are an excellent photographer of animals in ways that show behavior, and an unusually inquisitive observer.  Details in the pics and sequence are outstanding.

nailbender

Cool pics Snafu! Those badgers are really something, born with a bad attitude that only gets worse! :laf:

nastygunz

Thems some salty looking critters!

riverboss

Very cool! I ran over on out west years ago on a dirt road and stoped to take a look!! Bad idea it hadnt even hurt it but it sure as hell was mad. It took me 10 min to get off the roof of my blazer and back inside.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Dave

Quote from: Okanagan on October 03, 2014, 09:38:42 AM
Yep, you are an excellent photographer of animals in ways that show behavior, and an unusually inquisitive observer.  Details in the pics and sequence are outstanding.
Couldn't agree more. I've come back to look at this post at least half a dozen times. Can't believe the size of the young male's claws in the second to last pic. Looks like a devil.