Main Menu

This Winter

Started by snafu, January 29, 2017, 07:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slagmaker

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

Ohhh boy that looks like what we had a week or so ago. Nasty nassssty stuff.  :holdon:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

snafu

Recent snow to my North & to my South. Nary a flake in betwixt. I blame the crows. They are always guilty.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

snafu

Appears this winter is toast. Was 71 yesterday in my area. This is the 1st Winter I have not laid eyes on a single canine in 53 yrs. Maybe? whats his face who invented the internet was right? Globule swarming. So much for my hankerin on baby seal clubbing? There goes my bucket list.  :doh2:

FinsnFur

Yah I was gonna ice fishing this morning but I have to use a skiff to get out on the ice. Theres good ice but ya cant get on it. :doh2:
I just looked over the extended forecast and other then one or two days with chances of snow the temps look like they will bounce around in the 40 and 50s all they way to April :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

Billy goats aren't they pretty much, like a Mountain Lion. They both have fur & teeth. I say green light on the goats. (plus they are penned up) I mean how hard can that be?   :biggrin:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

Spoke with a young woman 2 days ago. While walking a trail in a county park. Up ahead of her a short way. Was a lion sniffing the air. Lion didn't see her & she hauled tail back to her vehicle. Park is around 60 miles +/- from where I live. Spoke with another woman roughly 2 wks ago. She owns a 12 acre timber patch with a hayfield. She was riding her horse in the hayfield. Up ahead not far away. Was a lion sunning itself. She said, the lion casually got up looked at her. Then casually walked into her timber. My luck she is a lion lover, but hates coyotes. So she didn't tell me until well after the fact. Crows...I blame the crows! The are in cahoots & hate me.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

HaMeR

Start crow hunting!!  :biggrin: :biggrin:

You chasing Lions around your area is like me trying to see a Bobcat here. I know they are around here but have only seen one in the wild. We can't shoot them but it would be nice to at least see one once in a while. LOL
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Okanagan

I did some snafu style lion research yesterday. :biggrin: In a country store up a steelhead river two good ol boys were buying hotdogs like I was.  When they asked the usual question if I was fishing I baited them by saying that I was looking for cougar tracks.  They live on farms nearby so they told me that a cougar has been hanging around a small park three miles up the river.  I figured that hanging around was unlikely, and the sighting info was too old to do me any good, but I drove up there and walked the perimeter of the 3 acre park in six inches of snow.  No cougar tracks old or new nor even any melted out maybes.  Lotsa big dog tracks and a few deer.  There are plenty of cougars in that valley and the only hard fact from this tale is that I didn't find a cougar track yesterday.

Cold rain on old snow and I shoulda stayed home yesterday.  I was hoping it was snowing at higher elevation up the river but it was rain all the way. 

Added later: normally I don't tell anyone I'm cougar hunting, but I decided to experiment with these two yesterday who obviously had local knowledge.

snafu

If anyone happens to run across a rabbit with only 3 paws. I have the other one & no he's not getting it back. Figuring out a lion is like figuring out one's wife. An eternal enigma. Please pass the cyanide.  :doh2:

Okanagan

My son may have the other three lucky rabbit feet.  A few days ago he phoned to tell me about tracking a cougar for five hours in snow.  He got close enough to get a glimpse of it but no shot and it did not come back to his call.

It was snowing and with fresh snow on top of the cat tracks, he could not tell how old they were for sure but followed.  Soon after a deer came running back from the direction of the cougar, panting with tongue hanging out.  Upon tracking further, he found where the lion had tried unsuccessfully for the deer and chased it over 100 yards.

The cat went to the bottom of the canyon and crossed a river on a fallen fir tree.  Son followed.  Up the other side a ways he came to where the cat had turned back toward him for a few steps, stopped and shuffled its feet in one spot.  He figured that was the point where the cougar first realized that he was following and turned to swatch him.  Soon after that he spotted a tawny cougar color 50 yards ahead on the other side of a rhododendron thicket.  He was looking across a swale through the tops of the brush.  He was trying to figure out if he was seeing the cougar when it turned and took off, giving him a glimpse of head and shoulders.  Wish my legs were up to that kind of tracking.

FinsnFur

:laf: Do you still have that fourth foot?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

These cougar sightings seem to come in spurts. I do believe most of them. But the flipside to many of them. There is never any snow cover for me to pick up a track from the sighting. My wife has had 2 sightings of her own. Between our town & the next town...15 miles apart. Yet she is the biggest doubting Thomas I know. Always wondering why those who have a "sighting" Don't happen to capture a pic of the lion. Well she has had 2 sightings. Where are HER pics? Pot calling the kettle black it appears?

snafu

Quote from: Okanagan on March 08, 2017, 01:28:00 PM
My son may have the other three lucky rabbit feet.  A few days ago he phoned to tell me about tracking a cougar for five hours in snow.  He got close enough to get a glimpse of it but no shot and it did not come back to his call.

It was snowing and with fresh snow on top of the cat tracks, he could not tell how old they were for sure but followed.  Soon after a deer came running back from the direction of the cougar, panting with tongue hanging out.  Upon tracking further, he found where the lion had tried unsuccessfully for the deer and chased it over 100 yards.

The cat went to the bottom of the canyon and crossed a river on a fallen fir tree.  Son followed.  Up the other side a ways he came to where the cat had turned back toward him for a few steps, stopped and shuffled its feet in one spot.  He figured that was the point where the cougar first realized that he was following and turned to swatch him.  Soon after that he spotted a tawny cougar color 50 yards ahead on the other side of a rhododendron thicket.  He was looking across a swale through the tops of the brush.  He was trying to figure out if he was seeing the cougar when it turned and took off, giving him a glimpse of head and shoulders.  Wish my legs were up to that kind of tracking.

Must be nice to be young again. Humping rough terrain like it twernt nuttin.