• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Are Coyotes easier to call in this time of the year

Started by Bills Custom Calls, May 02, 2007, 04:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bills Custom Calls

I have been going over the past 6 months of hunting coyotes.

When I first started hunting I couldnt't call one into save my hide.Then seemed like if I did call one in I got busted before I got a shot off.
I have hunted with a few different folks each one set up a little different,but I picked the spots,and everyone saying these are good spots.

So in the last 2 months and 3 hunts I have had coyotes come to the call or have seen them shortly after we were done calling a little ways from where we set up at.
So are coyotes easier to hunt this time of the year or am I starting to learn this.

Bill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Bopeye

Sounds like your starting to learn this game to me.  :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

awh

It's fuzzy Bill.  Send me the locations of your spots and the sounds your using and I'll  test them for ya. :biggrin:

Sounds like your getting in the right places and doing it right to me.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

Bills Custom Calls

Awh come on up bring the little guy with ya and I will take you to my spots and let you listen to my calling and we shall have another post like Bob's

Bill

ohiobob

AWH
i HOPE you dont have a post like mine,,i HOPE you have a pic to put on your post!!!
a question i have also had so maybe some of you seasoned hunters can answer this,,from what i UNDERSTAND,which is really not much when it comes to coyotes is that the FEMALES are in the den with the pups right now and the MALES go out and get the food for the female,is this true and if so does that mean that the coyote me and Bill seen last saturday was a male?
AND if this is true why in the hell would the SO CALLED experts/purists over on ANOTHER FORUM :innocentwhistle: call everyone names and question your manhood for hunting coyotes at this time of year? and by the way thats why i tell them all to kiss my ass,,i tried to type something else over there that my Grandpa use to say but all that comes up is a
[beep] with 6 other words,,it IS a hell of a good saying that i dont think anyone has ever heard BUT it GETS its meaning across

Bill
sorry to hi jack your thread but i was wondering about the males getting the food for the females

Thank you very much
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

Bowhunter57

bnccont,
For the next couple of months the hunting pressure for the coyotes is going to be high. What I mean is that the adults are going to be having to supply the pups with food, so they're going to be easier to call.

No matter, it's all good! I'll shoot 'em all and sort 'em out later. Calling experience is calling experience and it all counts.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

keekee

They can be a little easer to call this time of year it seems sometimes. Location is the key right now. Get inside the core area and use coyote vocals and pup distress, along with some wines and cries.

Brent

ohiobob

KeeKee
when you say use vocals what are you talking about howls? i mean i seen where you just put use puppy whines and cry's but is there anything else to try? im kind of trying to write these "tips" in a special folder for a "go to" list since i dont know to much about it right now BUT i am learning
thank you
Bob

HaMeR

Bob-- While turkey hunting last week I got to listen to a group of coyote puppies. I don't know if they were playing or were hungry but the sounds that I was hearing were no different than what your litter of pups would make. Little whines & wimpers along with high pitched barks. I think it would have been cool to have been within sight of them to watch them.

I would think some recording equipment in a dog house with a litter of hungry puppies would make a great sound. So you better get on that Brent!! And I'll need a copy for my FX3!! :eyebrow: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

ohiobob

Hamer
that makes sense, now i have a few more questions since over "HERE" i actually get real answers and not SMART ASS remarks like over at "some other" website :innocentwhistle:

1) when are pups born? begining of April?
2) have they ventured outside the den yet?
3) do the mothers leave the den while the pups are "new born" like the first 3 weeks of their lives?
4)i seen a coyote cross the road today,are the chances "HIGH" it was a male?
oh yeh and if ya want to throw in some smart ass comments go ahead,i am use to it :hahaha:
Thank you very much
Bob

awh

Bill & Bob....I wouldn't worry about us making a trip for a while yet. The wife is bound and determined to go to the @#$% beach again this year. So the fundage is gone. And oh lil-man AKA hawk eye hasn't missed anything he's pulled the trigger on in the last few months. He scares me. He is too young to have a shot to kill ratio yet.

Good news is that he got another gun last night. Bad news is it's a pellet rifle. God help the birds and rabbits for the next few weeks. :shrug:

Bob, I'm far from being able to answer your questions 100% correctly, but I'll see if I'm close to being right.

1)Through the month of April. Some still may be dropping them.
2) If they were born at the first of April they should be coming out now.
3) Have no clue. Guessing yes as a female dog will leave her pups for short periods of time to just get a break.
4) ? 50/50 chance
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

awh

Bill. I forgot....Some of your buddies up there are thinking about coming down this year to hunt here. Make sure you tell them that your coming. If not they'll have to sleep outside...LOL

Bills Custom Calls

Quote from: awh on May 04, 2007, 07:26:27 AM
Bill. I forgot....Some of your buddies up there are thinking about coming down this year to hunt here. Make sure you tell them that your coming. If not they'll have to sleep outside...LOL

I can't believe they wouldn't tell me something like that some buddies they are  :laf: :laf:

Bill

keekee

1) when are pups born? beginning of April?
2) have they ventured outside the den yet?
3) do the mothers leave the den while the pups are "new born" like the first 3 weeks of their lives?
4)i seen a coyote cross the road today,are the chances "HIGH" it was a male?
oh yeah and if ya want to throw in some smart ass comments go ahead,i am use to it
Thank you very much

On the howls, just stick with the lone howls for right now. Example of a typical set would be............

Start off with two single high pitched lone howls. I would wait a bit and repeat the two lone howls. Then set a bit, then I would do one lone howl and go strait to the puppy wines and cries and run it right into pup distress. The I would set for a few min and one more lone howl, and break right into adult distress on the howler.

Or....

I would do two puppy howls, then a adult answer. I would wait a few min and break into the pup distress for several min and wait. After 5 min or so I would give another adult lone howl and adult distress.

All this changes if I get a vocal responce. I typically run my howling stands for at least 25 min.

1) The pups drop here in April, but it depends on were your at as to when the drop.

2) I have not seen any outside the den yet but I would think they would be out around the front of the den by now.

3) She will stay right close to the pups when they are new born. But will gradually start leaving them as they get older.

4) Hard to say if it was male or not?

No smart ass comments here....lol

Brent

ohiobob

Brent
thank you for the advice and quick responce,,i will put that in my folder :eyebrow: :wo:
Bob

Rich

I wouldn't go so far as to say that coyotes are easier to call this time of year, but ifyou want to locate dens and call the Alpha pair, now is a good time to begin. A good howler that will make decent lonesome howls and puppy squeals will call em for ya. Now you gotta shoot em.   :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

Bills Custom Calls

and shooting them seem to be the tough part right now

Dogwood Creek

Be careful howling this time of year. Last spring I had a family group of yotes right in my back yard so to speak. I didn't know it until I went out howling for the fun of it one morning at 3:00 AM. The adult pair sounded off not 100yds from the truck! Then the pups chimed in. Now, these pups were big enough to travel as it was early June. There I was, screwing around and had a super response from some very callable yotes. I know this because after one female challenge from me, thet came to within 25yds of the truck! I heard a pup yip then all was quiet. Mom and Dad made me out and hurried the young ones along for a great lesson in man kind. My point is, I guess, don't howl this time of year unless you are able to close the deal. After that, I had a very hard time getting that pack to howl regardless of the time of day or situation. I love going out and having conversations with them, but you can get burned playing with them. Live and learn I guess.

I would have to say due to the need to feed the family, this is the best time of year for responses to a call. There are a lot of turkey hunters killing or at least seeing them here every year. I think I will give it a try after turkey season.

Rich

Dogwood Creek ,
You give some very good advise in your above post. It maybe should be required reading for anyone who is serious about howling up coyotes. "Don't howl until you are ready to kill any coyote that comes in".  I have been trying to tell people that for years, but it usually is not taken seriously.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

keekee

I think it depends on what vocalizations you use, more than anything. I howl to locate groups here all summer and spring. I also spend a ton of time out howling with the pups when they start to get vocal. I dont think I have every been busted when locating during the spring or summer. And it sure helps me find new areas to call every year as well.

Brent