• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

How tough are coyotes???

Started by CCP, July 29, 2007, 11:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

Randy Roede ,
When you consider the price of good rifles today, getting exactly what you want for 1400.00 doesn't sound too bad. I like your choice of caliber too.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

CCP

Quotemaking light of the fact that you didn't actually experience a direct hit

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

QuoteIf the big bullet you were shooting had hit the center of the chest or throat, an instantly dead coyote would have been the result.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
QuoteYour bullet struck too far off center and simply raked muscle and bone.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Rich

CCP,
Try shooting a paper target at 8 yards, and see how many inches below point of aim your bullet strikes.  Once you learn to hold high on those close shots, you will have a little better luck.   :wink:
Foxpro Field staff

coyotehunter_1

QuoteCCP: .... all our coyotes are close.

QuoteRich: Once you learn to hold high on those close shots, you will have a little better luck.

Or you could just sight your rifle in for 10 yards :wink: :laf:   
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Rich

"Or you could just sight your rifle in for 10 yards "
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a joke I hope?  A lot of hunters don't realize that their scoped rifle will shoot a few inches low at very close range.  This is because of the scope being mounted above bore line.  The higher your scope is mounted above bore line, the lower the  bullet will strike at close range. (Below where your crosshairs are looking).  :innocentwhistle:   
Foxpro Field staff

coyotehunter_1

Yes Sir... that was meant as a joke ( notice the :wink: :laf: smileys).

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Bopeye

Pick me, pick me........I knew that. My rifle shoots almost exactly 3 inches low at 25 yards or less....... :biggrin:

Always a good thing to know when you're shooting inside a den at scrambling pups....... :nono:

That WAS a joke.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Bopeye

I wonder why you can shoot a coyote or a deer, take out their heart and both lungs and they can still run quite a few yards?

BUT you shoot a prairie dog dead center and he will fall right in his hole most of the time........ :wo: :confused:

Life's questions can be so puzzling..... :iroll:

Bopeye

Reminds me of the time we were on the Artillery range "calling for fire". A deer showed up on the range, which is a big deal in the military. Ya can't shoot if something is on the range.

Anywho, it was just a few of us red neck boys on the range so we decided to bracket that deer and do what they call "Fire for affect", which is hammering 3 HE (High Explosive) rounds where he was standing. We listened to them babies fly overhead, the earth erupted and somehow that dang deer made tracks outa there......... :wo:

Just ain't no figuring some critters..........I thought for sure those 105mm rounds would take that deer out.  :shrug: :doh2:

CCP

I started this thread  "asking how tough are coyotes?  I then posted a clip and a few pics of a coyote that was shot in the chest and it exited the shoulder. The bullet completely discentagrated the heart and lungs.

If I had not immediately ran over to the coyote it would have died quickly where it was.

Most all of the post were pertaining to the clip or giving there experience on tough coyotes. Rich your responses have been more on the line of me lying or my shooters can't shoot. The bullet entered exactly where it was supposed to, it did create more slash effect than expected on entry. This is something that we have learned about this particular bullet . It creates around five inch entrance wounds at chest and body shots.

In the future we will continue to hold for heart shots no matter the range it has worked very well for us. In the past 2 ½ years using this rifle, cartridge combo we have not lost a single coyote. Yes there is the occasional miss as all hunters' experience. I sight in my coyote rifles the same for the past 20 years they are shot from 10 to 200 yards and everywhere in between. I being a reloader and avid shooter for most of my life understand fully.

I will not argue with someone about there shooting ability on a heart shot or how dead a coyote really is. If you have any stories to share about a tough coyote I and a lot of others would love to hear it.

If you have any gun or shooting advice that can help the members please start a post and help the new guys. I do find it a good subject and sometimes take for granted that everyone already knows.

Here are a few more low heart shots.

If you want to continue this conversation feel free to e-mail me and I will call you. If we don't see eye to eye than we can put each other on the I don't like this guy list. 
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Mallardsr

Hey CCP, I'm headed down your way tomorrow and in lieu of the heat instead of a hunt Ill settle for some lessons on those grazing shots you make so consistently. :wink: RP

Rich

"I started this thread  "asking how tough are coyotes?  I then posted a clip and a few pics of a coyote that was shot in the chest and it exited the shoulder. The bullet completely discentagrated the heart and lungs."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A coyote still alive with no heart or lungs left?  I don't think you are lying CCP, just mistaken is all.  I'm done with this subject.

:shrug:
Foxpro Field staff

Bopeye

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but can't a person still have brain activity for nearly five minutes after the heart and lungs quit?
I think so.

That being the case. If an animal has a similar type of respiratory and cardiovascular system........couldn't they still be moving just because their brain is still telling them to do so, even though they are dead?

My guess would be yes, but what do I know?  :shrug:

I think they even have a name for it. Something like instinctive or reflexive response.

CCP

Quotejust mistaken is all.

The pic below clearly shows the exit wound with no blood meaning no heart beat. The coyote got up and ran 20 yards no blood. If you notice in the footage of the coyote chewing his foot the one the bullet exits no blood pumping out.

This pic shows the entrance being a large gapping hole coyote ran 20 yards notice the lack of blood. Only blood spatter no pouring of blood. Reason no heart beat.

I am not mistaken it is right there in living color.

QuoteI'm done with this subject.

Same here it I dont like arguing when I already know I am right.

Now lets get back to some tough coyote stories.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

:huh: Somebody turn on the air conditioner  :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bopeye

You're getting soft Jimbo........... :wink:

I've been soft for awhile now........or is that fluffy?  :wo: Aw heck, what does it matter........ :biggrin:

bushmaster

I'm feelin' some bad vibes here man  :mad3: :holdon:

I do however, have a very similar tough coyote story that i'd like to tell (without facing a firing squad please :fingerx:)

I was trackin two bucks that had bachelored up in late december of 05 with my uncle.  We were on opposite sides of a ridge from one another (me being the beagle and uncle posting on the back 40) when i heard three quick shots.  I snuck quickly up the ridge and scanned around for any flags booundin away.  what i saw, was a mess!  My uncle had stopped to shake some snow out of his boot and while doing so, noticed two coyotes headed right for him at full sprint!  Apparantely, they were chasing one another and never noticed my uncle or his mini-14 because at less than 10ft they got dropped.  The first yote was hit twice, in the ribs and in the gut.  The second yote was hit once in the throat.  I walked up to the dogs and noticed that coyote #2 had her throat completely mangled,  she kinda whimpered and struggled so i finished her quick with my 30-06.  Coyote#1 looked done, didn't move at all.  When she heard me fire, that yote took off like a bat outta hell! I caught her in the back of the head/neck at about twenty yards, but even after she went down I was shook! Completely baffled.  If you ask me, I think its that last shot of adrenaline before the curtains close.

Thanks for reading my story guys.
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

FinsnFur

That would be freaky Bush~   especially being that close to it all. Cool story. Now let me tell you where you went wrong. 

:roflmao: I'm kidding

I think the heat's getting to Rich and Rich. Couple months from now when the fur's prime they'll be belly up swapping stories and laughing.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Sounds like we are talkin about a coyote running 20 yards....20 yards is not very far.  I know deer can do that easily if not paralysed by the first shot (spine hit, neck hit) even if their heart and lungs are blown out.  Usually happens if I walk up on the animal immediately after shooting and the animal isn't dead yet.  Big bucks especially are tough.  (I think they are a different species from regular deer anyways)  Adrenaline does it I think.

I think Rich and Rich are talking about the same thing but different aspects of it. 

keekee

We shoot 22-250's most all the time. Most of the coyotes drop right were they stand and some most all will flop around a little. Every once in awhile we get one that jumps up and runs 20 yards or so before a pile up. If I am not mistaken JD shot one last year right threw both lungs at a pretty good distance. Thought it was a missed shot even walked over to were the coyote was shot at no blood no coyote. After reviewing the film ( at the house) you could clearly see the coyote was hit. A quick trip down to the spot again and some searching ( Hard searching) and found the coyote. It ran a good distance with no lungs at all and no blood!

I have seen this allot with deer. Blow out both lungs and top of the heart and they run several hundred yards. Even with a bow, and with a the gun shot it just adds to the adrenaline rush of the animal even more.

CCP said he jumped strait up and ran over to the coyote if he had set there it may not have moved but he was filming and was looking for a different filming prospective. I'm sure the Adrenalin of all that went on had allot to do with what happened. But that dont take away from the fact that it was one tough coyote.

I just cant see from the picture were there was a bad shot made. That coyote should of just laid there. I have had bad hits as well, I'm sure we all have and I have had new loads splash on coyotes when they hit bone. But that's one big round he is shooting out of that gun, even if it did splash it left one hell of a exit hole right behind the shoulder.

Brent