• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

How tough are coyotes???

Started by CCP, July 29, 2007, 11:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCP

I was working at my computer this morning and ran across an old clip from last fall. I lost the original footage somewhere and was surprised to find this short clip. The story of the hunt is HERE I remember this coyote was tough it took a direct hit at around 7 or 8 yards from a 110g v-max. It then jumped up and ran another 20 or so yards. The hole in the coyotes chest was bigger than my fist.

I have seen coyotes do this several times through the years and was wondering what is the average on your coyotes to run?? Bang flop mostly?? Run 10,20,30 yards?? Most of mine usually go 5 to 20 yards on average with some bang flops but most seem to move around some what.

Below is the clip compressed below 1mb for dial up.

Edit to say if I have already shown this let me know cant remember  :confused: :doh2:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

DirtyDog

Awsome story Rich, and awsome footage.  :yoyo:

Bopeye

That's pretty good...... :highclap:

Aaron........ :roflmao: Ya crack me up dude!!  :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

FinsnFur

Same, a mixture of both bang flops and sprinters.

Well, then there's the ones you know you hit dead on  :innocentwhistle: and never see them again  :doh2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bopeye

Quote from: FinsnFur on July 29, 2007, 02:48:02 PM
Well, then there's the ones you know you hit dead on  :innocentwhistle: and never see them again  :doh2:

Oh.......we're going that way with this eh?  :wo:
I owe ya....... ;yes; ;yes;
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

songdog_sniper

That was a pretty cool clip there.
Most of mine are bang/flop.  maybe 5 foot.
That was pretty cool how that sucker let you get that close and then after the next shot take off like that.  That was some good footage.  Aaron

bushmaster

i've had that happen with one coyote i hit broadside in the ribs with a 12ga. brenneke slugg.  A doe did that when i shot her in white spot under her chin too.  went down, gave a little flip-D-flop leg action and went still.  I walked up, pumped the action an she took off like a bat out of hell.  Went about 50 yards too!  I still dont get it.  Do you think its the adrenalin mixed with instinct to flee?
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

keekee

Nice clip Rich!

We get a mix, but for the most part we get allot of bang flops. Every once in awhile we get a runner but I dont shoot a real fur friendly round.

Brent

KySongDog

ACDC was a nice touch.   :biggrin:  Great clip!   :congrats:

Rich

That was a good video clip, but didn't look like a good hit to me. Ugly flesh wound I think?
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

Roundman

I don't know how I missed this clip...Great footage Rich

Heck where is your partner CCP2 been?

CCP

Quotebut didn't look like a good hit to me. Ugly flesh wound I think?

The bullet blew up on impact. It was a 7 or 8 yard shot head on in the chest. He was shooting the 300 whisper with 110g v-max at 2260fps.

This is the entrance wound in the chest

And here is the exit out the shoulder.

I was shooting the 130g bullets and no problem with blow up. Since I switched to the 110g v-max we have big holes on close coyotes. May have to switch back because all our coyotes are close.  :biggrin:

QuoteHeck where is your partner CCP2 been?

He went and got Married on me. He will be back around come fall :wo:

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Rich

CCP ,
It looks like a raking shot to me. Was the coyote facing the shooter, or was it angling sharply away?
Foxpro Field staff

Jeb

He went and got Married on me. He will be back around come fall :wo:

LOL you hope ? :laf:   Oh and btw where do we apply  :readthis: at to take his position after the Fall noshow ?  :eyebrow:
                              Jeb

CCP

QuoteCCP ,
It looks like a raking shot to me. Was the coyote facing the shooter, or was it angling sharply away?

Rich he was facing the shooter it was a head on shot.

Here is another example of an entrance wound. This is a frame grab from one of my clips on youtube. This is a five inch hole going in and a 1 1/2 to 2 inch hole going out.

The coyote in the "How tough are coyotes" clip would have stayed down but me running over right above it moving around caused it to jump up and run off.

QuoteOh and btw where do we apply  readthis at to take his position after the Fall noshow ?

Talked to Aaron this AM and he assured me he would be here this fall.  :innocentwhistle:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Rich

CCP ,
You gotta aim a little higher. That was a near miss.   :roflmao:
Foxpro Field staff

CCP

Rich I know you are pulling my leg but you would be surprised by how many E-mails I have received stating we need to learn how to shoot. I think a lot of them think of deer hunting and get misguided. This may also be the reason alot of guys loose so many coyotes.

The low in the shoulder shot always works for us. Must be something to do of where the heart is. :roflmao: :roflmao:

There are probably lots of coyotes that died a slow liver failure death from guys shooting low behind the shoulder.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

bushmaster

Almost every deer or coyote i have killed has been a neck shot, works every time.  It dropped a coyote with a 22 mag. from about 40yds. :sneer:
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

Rich

CCP ,
I was having a little bit of fun with you, and making light of the fact that you didn't actually experience a direct hit on that coyote. If the big bullet you were shooting had hit the center of the chest or throat, an instantly dead coyote would have been the result. Your bullet struck too far off center and simply raked muscle and bone. I have experienced bad hits on a few coyotes, but I ain't afraid to admit it.  :innocentwhistle:
Foxpro Field staff

Randy Roede

Many callers do not realize that head on or quartering toward shot is a tough one. It has to be center mass or the natural construction of the coyotes frame causes bullets to either splash or deflect from vitals.

Rich, I'm still pricing around to get that 243 in the AR format before contest season. Looking like a $1400 deal.