• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Show off your predator rifles

Started by wvmtnman506, October 08, 2006, 09:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

They really are great rifles, and I was surprised to see how many guys are using them for predators.

That's your LBL coyote isn't it?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Frogman

Yes that is our LBL coyote.  The 60 grain V-Max is a great coyote bullet.  My rifle has a 1 in 7 twist so I need to shoot the heavier bullet.  It is really nice having the instant back up shot if you need it.  This dog only required one round as it was only 25 yards away.  My second dog was 90 yards away and my first shot was not a good killing shot.  I think I shot high.  My rifle is dead on at two hundred yards so that makes it 1 3/4 inches high at 100 yards.  I was shooting at a slight downhill angle.  I held right on in the excitement of the moment and think I overshot.  The recoil is so slight that I did not even loose the image in my scope so the second and third shots were very quick and more accurate.  I probably didn't need the third round but the dog was running toward a thicket and I wanted to anchor it before it got out of sight.  Here is that female:

I prefer one shot kills, but it sure is nice to have an instant second shot if needed especially here in the thick stuff we have in WV.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

ATLRoach

ohiobob

ATLRoach
You have a Nice Rifle there  :yoyo:
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

ATLRoach

Silencer

I posted this on the board at one time or another, but here's my Savage 110 .222rem.  I shoot 50gr power loct hollow points.

bootmud

Here's my predator guns. 

Left to right.

1. Browining ABolt .204 - Primary coyote gun
2. Ruger 22 Hornet - fox gun
3. Marlin 22 mag - back up gun if needed but I never do.
4. Benelli 3" M1-90

Thanks,  bootmud

www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

ohiobob

Silencer and Bootmud
Those are some NICE Guns you guys have there, REAL NICE Guns !!!  :highclap:
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

coyote101

Bootmud,

What scopes do you have on those rifles?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

bootmud

Pat,

The .204 (left) has a Barska 3x10x50 illuminated reticle,  the 22 Hornet (middle)  has a Burris 3x9x40 IR, and the Marlin 22 mag. (right) has a Mueller 3x9x40 IR.

Thanks,  bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

TA17rem

Here are a few of my Pred. rifles.

At the top; 17 Pred. with stiller action.

17 Rem. XP-100 rifle

22-250 ackley

Randallcblitz

bushmaster

"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

Butcher45

Here's my predator hunting air rifle. 

A power-tuned, .454 caliber SamYang 909.

FinsnFur

:confused: I'm interesting to see some more of that
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FOsteology

Since we have more feral hogs than predators in my AO, I put together a specialized hawg killer. I just need to sight it in and go forth and bloody it!  :biggrin:

LWRC M6A2 6.8 SPC with an L3-M845 night vision scope (with an integrated red dot reticle) and a variable beam IR illuminator

vvarmitr

Hey Butcher: Would you be so kind as to take a pix of your puffer w/ a white background so this ole geezer can see it better. :biggrin:  (Took me some time to realize there was a gun there.  :doh2:)
A 45 cal air gun ....... now how cool is that?  :eyebrow:

Gosh FOS, you went to the dark side  :huh: ........ or is it the black side? :shrug:
:laf:

Butcher45

Quote from: FinsnFur on May 22, 2010, 09:06:52 AM
:confused: I'm interesting to see some more of that

No problemo!

This air rifle has a 21.6inch barrel, overall-length 42.1inches, weighs about 7.1lbs without scope/rings, and has been tuned for power (up to 285fpe, from about 200fpe out of the box).  No need for powder, shell casings, or PRIMERS!  150 cast boolits go for roughly $15, so shooting is cheap.  Cast your own soft lead boolits (no jacketed boolits), and the shooting gets DIRT cheap!

Here are some ballistics shooting .45Colt slugs, and roundball (the coyote pictured above was shot with lil' ol' roundball).  This rifle is good for four shots within a 20fps maximum variance (sometimes less) on a single fill of air, followed by a few "finisher" shots.

Hornady .457RoundBall @886.3fps=249fpe
210grainer780.9fps@284fpe
Lee ROA's 220grain@764.8fps=285fpe
BigLube PRS 255grain@699.7fps=277fpe
245grain REAL@715.7fps=278fpe

Shot this small hog with a 228grain SWC.  Dropped him like a stone.

A 600page report on the rifles ability using a 260grain SWC from a distance of 25meters.

Average accuracy @50yards shooting off of steady stix (used a tacklebox for a rest for the first group).  Both the #454424 hollowpoint, and the WFN that was used in the second group weigh about 235grains.  The cardboard behind the first target was pretty shot-up.

Here's a slideshow.

Quote from: vvarmitr on May 22, 2010, 03:28:33 PM
Hey Butcher: Would you be so kind as to take a pix of your puffer w/ a white background so this ole geezer can see it better. :biggrin:  (Took me some time to realize there was a gun there.  :doh2:)
A 45 cal air gun ....... now how cool is that?  :eyebrow:

Gosh FOS, you went to the dark side  :huh: ........ or is it the black side? :shrug:
:laf:

Here you go Vvarmitr.  This picture is from before I painted it.

Todd Rahm

Good stuff Butcher, thanks for sharing.

FinsnFur

Thats pretty interesting. I've been seeing more and more on this air rifle stuff but never to this extent.
Good info. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com