• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Predator Xtreme Article

Started by FinsnFur, March 12, 2008, 07:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yotehntr

Skimed through  :sleep: Got a lot more out of George's post  :yoyo: Just got to keep at'em!!
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Jimmie in Ky

I thought Higgies discussion on howling was a good one in particlular. It made a lot of sense to me. Helps me understand why I have never been such a big fan of howling as a primary call. Jimmie

vvarmitr

Yeah, it didn't do much for me either.  (Here we go PX bashing!  :innocentwhistle: )

George: now that was some good stuff there.  But that #3 ... go out west? :confused:   
Why don't you write an article for PX?  ;yes;  You're off to a good start right there.  :wink:

This was edited for any PM bashing.  I'm part of the solution & not the problem.  :biggrin:

George Ackley

I was unhappy with the article and the working the light article ,,,
but as for the mag predator xtreme love it,,

Higgins article I though was a very good read.
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

bigben

what didn't you like about the light article george?  I thought it was a well wrote aritcle showing the different ways to hunt.  I pretty much keep the light on all the time and then when they get within range I hit em with the scope light which is a good bit brighter.  I learned though that only do this when they are in range.  they have allways threw the brakes on and sat down pretty.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

George Ackley

Ben,
I am going to try and give my outlook on this article ,please bear with me.

The article talks to I think 4 callers and all are grate callers , but there was nothing in the article for the every day caller..

Working a light red or white is all relative to your area, the cover in your area,the critters in your area, the hunting light pressure in that area.

Mr Hauer talks about his technic of working a light, witch he tells us ,he see's the fox at a distance shut the light off and works him with a call till its within gun range . that's great if it's working for him and more power to him if it is. but  my question after reading his comments, where is he hunting , what type of terrain,
Dose he have a gun light? or a hand held light?Is he the shooter ?or is there a shooter with him?
what is IN RANGE?
All Mr.Hauers said that I read,  was he shuts the light off on incoming targets till there in range.

Again that's fine if its working for him,
But the things that I don't see are. Were is the fox when the light comes back on???
is he scanning the light again? did another fox, bobcat or coyote move in ?
If the fox moved in closer ,,,what happens if Mr Hauer scans left trying to find his now  dark and unseen target ,,and the critter now is 30 yard to the right looking at Haurer's profile  aglow in red light.
Try and turn your light off in hard woods on a incoming critter and then minuets later try and turn it back on
se if the shadows bouncing of every tree don't play hell with you trying to find your target again..
In a perfect situation when I know I am calling a field that's not, or isn't worked with a light much
I get set up call for 30 or so secants turn my light on and if and when I get a target, he gets light till I kill him or my shooter kills him or any of his littler critter friend that come on seen. in short,
My light blinds him from seeing me,,,,,,,,,shut off light his better night seeing ability will possibly pick up me or my shooter movements..

My last thought on Mr Hauers paragraph is this,,they tell us he is hunting Maryland but he believes a white light will send a (New England reds packing for new territory's,))
Just how big of a light is this guy using?? new England foxes from Maryland.

One hunter they talk to is a predator night hunting guide, that has large key ring and like a million Acers to call on. I just didn't see the relativity of the info on working a light under his or the other Texas boys circumstances has to do with the majority of us..

Sorry I didn't take much from this article but the commercialization  of the people in it,,,,,

George

Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

studabaka

Quote from: George Ackley on March 13, 2008, 12:56:38 PM
Just how big of a light is this guy using?? new England foxes from Maryland.

:roflmao:

Great review George!!  :congrats:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

bigben

well tell ya the truth hauer uses a lightforce.  I keep telling guys they are too bright anyhow.   :nono:
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

possumal

I must be lost. I thought this thread was started by Jim to check out what we thought of the article "Advanced Eastern Coyote Tips" written by Emory Josey, appearing in the April 2008 issue of Predator Xtreme.  I made a post giving my opinion on that article. Where do these other writers enter into his article?  :confused:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

studabaka

Al, I think the guys that have the mag [I don't] have expanded the discussion to include some of the other articles in that edition.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

bigben

FinsnFur

So everyones elses assessment of it was pretty much the same as mine.
I seen that topic teaser on the cover and the first thing I looked for was the author.   Emory Josey  :confused: never heard of him.

I did manage to get all the way through the article but it was because I was trying to find something that would at least indicate to me that this guy knew the difference between Western and Eastern coyote hunting. But the kicker here was that this was ADVANCED Eastern Coyote Tips :whew:  yeah ok.

The article could have been titled "Brett Favre retires from Green Bay Packers", because the content of the article covered just as much of that, as it did hunting Eastern Coyotes.  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

possumal

Stu:  I realized that is what happened. Just trying to make the point we got off subject a good deal. 

Jim:  My sentiments exactly.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

alscalls

Emory Josey is so set in his ways .... I wish a coyote would pattern that easy!!
a friend of mine ate dinner with him once and Mr. Josey told him to never hunt eastern Coyotes at night. When my friend asked why?.....He simply said Cause I am to old to do that crap, I like my sleep and you are messing up my daytime hunting by educating them. If a coyote were as closed minded as Emory Josey they would be no fun to hunt at all.
I think he needs to stick to killing all those coyotes he talks about and give up teaching, if he is always going to push "his way" and stop learning for himself.
I read his stuff but I try and remember who I am dealing with. RED BETWEEN THE LINES if you know what I mean. :eyebrownod:
AL

http://www.geocities.com/alscalls/coyote.html
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Jeb

Good post George !!!  And Chet , your #10  :roflmao: :roflmao: :laf: :roflmao:
                  Jeb

Silencer

I finally got around to reading it, didnt hold my attention at all. 

jbordy

I read the article and found the introductory statement under the title more to what the article was about.  His title should have been "get your equipment squared away before you attempt to call and kill a coyote".  But as I continued to read I felt that he was even more condescending as his keyboard screamed through his passages  :puke:(barf)!  I made it the whole way through and felt that those 5 minutes could have been used to clean my bathroom :sad:.  Don't get me wrong, his words were eloquent and their usage quite flowery.  But at this point after reading the title I want the meat and potatoes of Eastern coyote hunting :argh:, not that I need to clean my gun, excuse me, the ones that "he recommends", to kill more dogs.
Learn daily and pass it on.

KillerCaller!

A little late to the table on this one but I read nothing in the article I could disagree with.
Terrain and area really had nothing to do with his article. The comments by some of ya baffled me, so I went back and skimmed the article.  :shrug: Terrain? Area? Did you actually read the article? The advice is pretty sound for western callers as well as eastern callers. It was mainly an article on reducing simple mistakes and not letting the easy things interfere with taking coyotes. :confused:
The Advanced Tips on the front cover was pretty misleading but IT IS the basics that are the back bone of being Advanced.
Reading an article in a magazine has never tipped me over in my chair.
Let me put it this way...
I've never had an Emmett Brown 1 point 21 Jiggawatts moment after reading a piece.  

KillerCaller!

oops! I must have been writing while Jbordy was, with a nap in the middle... Similar thoughts.

Ladobe

Quote from: George Ackley on March 13, 2008, 12:56:38 PM
Ben,
I am going to try and give my outlook on this article ,please bear with me.
George

George,

"but there was nothing in the article for the every day caller.."
Guess you read a different article than I did.   I don't know the articles author and won't say its well written, but anytime an experienced predator hunter offers ideas, suggestions or advice, the "every day caller" ought to pay just as much attention as a rank newbie IMO.   Even if from your own experience you disagree, it may still get you thinking and discover something similar you can use.

As a long time close friend of Pete, I can assure you his methods for calling red fox do work very well for him.   Pete has hunted NE red fox for around 30 years, while growing up in PA, and in MD where he has lived and worked since the mid 80's.    He works as an investigative biologist at Johns Hopkins, with a strong background in animal ecosystems and zoology.   So analytically finding answers to questions carries over into his understanding of predator behavior by default.

As for some of your questions...

"where is he hunting , what type of terrain"
Most of his red fox calling is on very small farms that he has hunted for decades.   Most have low hills, wood lots, crop and/or horse pastures , out buildings - some have small creeks.

"Dose he have a gun light? or a hand held light?"
Pete uses both - several brands and models, and most are equipped with removable red lenses.   His current favorite is a very large gun mounted Light Force.

"Is he the shooter ?or is there a shooter with him?"
He's the caller, the shooter and the filmographer and only rarely hunts predators with another predator hunter.   Often his teen daughter is on stand with him though, sometimes she runs the lights, but she doesn't call or shoot.

"what is IN RANGE?"
Pete is an extremely ethical hunter, so it depends on each situation.   But by knowing every inch of the ground he hunts and the exact normal operation of the fox that use it, the near exact range to one is already known when spotted or shooting from just about any place to just about any place on these farms.   He's told me of night hunts where fox were first spotted over 300 yards away, but he waits until they come in for close shots.   His red fox firearm of choice is a Browning Micro Medallion 22 Hornet that he's owned and used for decades.    Even so he wants them in close, and will not take the shot unless he is certain of the outcome.

"Were is the fox when the light comes back on???"
Between knowing about where the fox is headed for (from vast experience on that farm), maybe some moonlight, I don't think he has much trouble knowing pretty close to where the fox is when he relights it.   

"All Mr.Hauers said that I read"
Not necessarily all that Pete said by any means... just all that the author of this article included in it.   I think if you really want to understand more about Pete and his methods on red fox, you might try reading Pete's article in the December 2006 PX.   I think it mostly came from his writings originally done for FoxPro as a field staffer though.    Or, run Pete down on one of the forums he runs.   He's a very nice gent who loves to talk predator hunting and share his experiences if asked.

If you reach him, ask him what his favorite red fox call is.   (the answer won't be the Fox Pro)   :wink:

Randy's methods work very well anywhere in the west (at least), not just in TX.   You might give them a try no matter where you are before ruling them out.

"Sorry I didn't take much from this article but the commercialization  of the people in it,,,,,"
And that responsibility lies completely on the shoulders of the article's author.   I've known Pete, Mike, Randy, Jeff and Todd for years.   Yes all of them (except Pete) has turned their passion for predator hunting into commercial venues.   That doesn't discount their years of experience and just maybe having something useful to say to other hunters.

I don't know squat about hunting red fox in the east and other places other than what folks like Pete and friends in England/Scotland have shared with me.   Not many red fox in the states I've hunted.   But their methods work fine as another trick in your bag for the species we do have in large numbers out west.

All FWIW...YMMV

L.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus