• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Predator Xtreme Article

Started by FinsnFur, March 12, 2008, 07:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Ackley

Ladobe

I am shore pets a good guy and I know he a good hunter,
but I just scene the hole read to be not helpful ,
the questions of mine you answered are the ones I though should of been in the article .

And what was the guy talking about scaring new England reds? If Pete calling New England read from Maryland or southern PA he must have one hell of a call.

I only gave my opinion of the article, I don't have issues with call manufacturers if he told me that fox pro was a great call for fox I would agree with him,  like I always say THEY ALL WORK
bottom line was i am a predator Xtreme fan, love the magazine, it just had 2 real bad articles in that issue...

my question was
"Were is the fox when the light comes back on???"
Between knowing about where the fox is headed for (from vast experience on that farm),

How would this be relative to the new guy ? he is telling us about turning his light on and off on a farm the he has vast experience on,,,, the new guy dont have this vast experience where they are hunting so its  misleading them  to turn there light off and on , and working a light in Texas on a locked ranch will really mislead the new guy 
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

bigben

Quote from: Ladobe on March 26, 2008, 04:24:55 PM

If you reach him, ask him what his favorite red fox call is.   (the answer won't be the Fox Pro)   :wink:

l.

is it a ladobe call?  I never knew you made calls or knifes till I looked at his photo page.  http://imageevent.com/peteh/foxhunting;jsessionid=a16s7yjvg3.tiger_s 

if you go to www.varminthunters.com it should bring up a forum board.  I read there every know and then.  pete posts regularly and seems to awenser pm's and question readily. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Ladobe

George,

I don't know you, you don't know me.   I was only trying to answer your questions so please do not take my answers to be critical of your questions.   That said...

I can personally vouch for a couple of three calls Pete has that are one hell of a bunch of calls.   I can also say for certain they won't call predators to MD from Maine.    :innocentwhistle:

But I think you're taking his choice of words "New England" too literally and letting it rub you when that's not the basic point he was trying to make.   Might be a mis quote by the author, might be a generalization by Pete, but I doubt was said by Pete specifically for this article.   Pete has hunted all over the north east, east, midwest, up into Canada and out west, and is a seasoned veteran when it comes to red fox on that large corner of North America. 

The questions you asked not being answered in the article might have been beyond the scope of the article in the authors eyes, or he just failed to include any of those points if he was even aware of the answers to any of them at all.   Regardless that also falls back on the articles author, not the people sources he chose to write about or quote.    Veteran predator callers are not going to apologize for having done the time in the field to be seasoned veterans though – and that includes enough field time to know specific areas as well as the predators that live in them.    That should be the goal of every want-to-be predator hunter no matter where he lives/hunts.   Maybe you should consider dropping a line to Ralph Lermeyer and the authors of the articles via PX and let them know your opinion of the two articles.

As far as I know, PX is not published just for newbies to predator calling.   Nor does the author of this article state that his article was only for newbies.   So concerns how things are or are not relative to a new guy in this article are therefore out of context with regards to it.   

"working a light in Texas on a locked ranch will really mislead the new guy"

I don't see why.   The methods used will work every bit as well on public land as on private land.   You don't need millions of acres and you don't need to be a seasoned veteran either.    Spotlighting predators (in the west anyway) is almost as easy as shooting fish in a barrel - part of how Randy, Jeff ,Todd and others have made a good business out of taking newbies out to do it.   It doesn't hurt that in TX most species of predators are not regulated with bag limits or seasons like in most states either.

BigBen,

I don't make them anymore.   But those I did make for Pete years ago have custom made reeds modified and tuned specifically for either his red fox or coon calling.   I also have several friends in England and Scotland who have similar calls made just for their red fox there.   They all love their calls, but the hardest part was tuning the brogue into those reeds so their local vixen would understand them.    :laf:

L.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

KySongDog

From time to time I see references to Predator Xtreme magazine.  Is it worth subscribing to?  What's the consensus of opinion?  Thought I'd ask before I spent my money.

Semp

FinsnFur

It's an alright rag. There aren't a lot to choose from pertaining to Predator Hunting. Not yet anyway.
Predator and Prey seems to have went by the way side.

My opinion is though they have a tough time coming up with content. Just an opinion.  :shrug:
This "Professional Tips for Hunting the Eastern Coyote" was a good example. That article had so little to do with specifically  Hunting Eastern Coyotes, it was silly.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

George Ackley

((This "Professional Tips for Hunting the Eastern Coyote" was a good example. That article had so little to do with specifically  Hunting Eastern Coyotes, it was silly.)))

thank you,, thats what i was saying,, Silly :argh:
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

jbordy

My nephew tuned me into "Predator Hunter"  :readthis:a couple of years ago.  It only comes out 2 times a year but the reading to me seems pretty good.  It is difficult to find at the news stands.  I order mine through another forum. :eyebrow:
I don't mind Predator Xtreme but sometimes they leave a lot to be desired.  But their mag. does not target coyotes specifically.  A while back they had a couple good articles about mountain lions.  I feel their gun articles are pretty good but I get bored quickly when they start talking slight differences in muzzle velocity and MOA and all of that. :sleep: :sleep:  They have had good articles on coyote hunting and they have had their share of bombs.   Sometimes I read for basic enjoyment but other times to actually glean information that will help me be successful.  Predator Xtreme fills both bills but more for the enjoyment rather than the information.
It sure is better than reading "Ladys Home Journal"!!! :laf: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Learn daily and pass it on.

Jimmie in Ky

As far as the mag goes I would say it is worth it to subscribe. They do come up with decent content from time to time.

We all talk about the bad article and rarely the good ones. But just how many writers out there are as hung up on hunting coyotes in the east as we are? Not many . How many have the experience that is on this board? Not many. Now which one of you is going to take a creative writing class ?  :eyebrownod: Jimmie

bigben

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.