• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

latex howlers

Started by golfertrout, August 27, 2008, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golfertrout

I have a Dan Thompson red desert howler and would like to know if the latex howlers have very much volume? I have heard that they do not but would like to know from folks who have them. And also do you like it better then the reed howlers

canine

As far as volume. They have plenty, especially here in the east. Out west in the wideass open on a windy day, they'll be limited.

I feel they are easier to control, take less air, and sound "WORLD CLASS"  :roflmao:  All kidding aside, they sound very,very,real.

JD

DirtyDog

Golfertrout.......

This is coming from the guy who won the World Coyote Calling Contest in the Vocalization Division, using the howler he posted. I also have one similar made by Kee, and LOVE mine. You will not find more realistic vocalizations anywhere on a hand call.

golfertrout

i heard Brent on the east vid and they do sound better then the reed calls. of course it is probable just because Brent is using it. One of my buddies said they were hard to learn how use and didn't have very much volume, but I think he is just partial to his reed calls.  I would like to buy one in the near future. Any suggestions? :wo:

Bopeye

E.L.K. makes the latex howler and Kee adds the customizing.

I like my latex howler. I reckon next year I'm gonna have to try and take JD's title from him.  :eyebrow: :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

FinsnFur

I love mine. I dont think they are hard too learn at all. Without some direction yeah they can be difficult.

I got mine while in Arizona with Brent one year. Practiced all the way home with it, and never could get real consistant. Whne I got home I called him up and asked for some direction.....boom that night I had it down pat.

Theres a video around here somewhere of me blowing mine, taking it out of my mouth and turning it upside down and blowing it again....howling twice and the same each time. I cant remember where I posted it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Troy Walter

Yes golfertrout, they are much easies to control..And they sound good.I have had one of Brent howlers for about three years now it don't look as good as it did when I got it, but it still sounds good.
Troy

alscalls

Why the horn, is it to make it louder?
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

golfertrout

who all makes latex howlers?
Is the ELK power howler a good one?

canine

The horn gives it a smoother, with depth, realistic sound.

Golfer,,The ELK's is what were using. The custom latex howlers are using the elk's mouthpiece precisely fitted to a cow horn.

JD

golfertrout

ok thanks, I am prob gonna get one soon

alscalls

how do the bands hold up......how long they last you know?
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

golfertrout

i was wondering the same thing Al

keekee

The horn adds to the sound. Along with a little work to the mouth piece and setting it right on the horn to get the right sound. The horn makes a difference depending on the length, thickness and the mouth piece. The horn also gives it more of a real sound and a little more volume.

I also cut my own reeds. Different sizes for different sound and out of three different types of latex. The reed I used in the contest this weekend had been on there sense the LBL hunt in Feb. If you take care of the reed they will last a long time and hold up well. How well they hold up has allot to do with what size they are cut and what type of latex you use.

Brent

golfertrout

ok thanks Brent for the info. Just watched your video on the East. Good show. If you ever need a place to hunt around Parkersburg WV give me a buzz and i can put you on some dogs and you can show me how to call them in with that latex howler.

BigB

Brent,

When a latex reed gets worn out, does a person send the call back to you for replacement, or can they find some latex and try to cut their own?   I am really thinking hard about getting one of these howlers.  They sound so real! :congrats:

Congrats to you and JD at the world expo contest!

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

keekee

Sounds good! Maybe me and JD can get up that way this fall!

You all got allot of cats up that way?

Brent

keekee

Sorry Big B we must of posted at the same time........

Thanks for the congrads!

No need to send it back to me. I carry the bands on the site and you can also cut your own if you want allot of the guys do.

Brent

Frogman

Hey Brent,
      Are you still working on rescheduling your seminar here in Parkersburg at WVUP??  I sure hope so!  I know a lot of us here were disapointed when that snow storm came through and you had to cancel. 

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

keekee

We had talked about it last winter right after the storm went threw. And were going to try and get something on the books for late fall up there. But I have not heard from them yet.

I would like to for sure! We will just haft to see if they call back.

Brent