• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

It works

Started by pitw, August 31, 2008, 10:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Hunsley

very nice story. Reminds me of when my two boys were that age. Mine were four yrs. apart and I took them hunting and fishintg all the time. They still hunt and fish. Take plenty of pictures as when they get older they will want to look through all of them. Your country looks similar to where I live in the Dakotas. You got yourself some fine young men and you have them started right. If only more Dad's would spend more time with their children.  :congrats:

pitw

bnccont  my mother came to that school to teach and I guess I'm glad she did.  I think that was the reason for the education system out here to get "new blood" in the community.  Must have worked somewhat as there are very few banjo pickers here :eyebrownod:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

pitw

Had a landowner call me about geese he wants off on a 40 acre field [don't know why as he has 1500 acres of more valuable crop they will move to  :shrug:] so I went over for a look see this morning.  On the south side of this field is a long bush then an alfalfa field, south of this is a combined and baled wheat field.  I drove out in the wheat field and parked in a depression and walked up on top and sat by a bale[50 yds fro truck].  Blew a 12 second call on my new one from Alscalls

I'm sitting there watching the geese go by for 1 minute and 30 seconds when 2 coyotes come running out of the bush west of me and they stop 30 yards out to see if I'll shoot.

He found out the hard way and to show you how small he was

The second coyote ran behind another bale and then used that cover to run straight away out of sight the whole time except for a 10 foot stretch as he went in the trees.  The geese that were maybe 400 yards north didn't appear to mind my shooting the coyote at all.

alscalls

I knew you would like that one........ :eyebrownod:
:congrats: Nice shooting too :congrats: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

pitw

Got up early yesterday morning and Donny and I went looking for some geese to hunt.  Went back to the field where I got the last coyote and parked just in the field off the road.  Sat there for 1/2 an hour watching the sun come up.  We were parked about 250 yds from where I shot the coyote.  Donny say's let's call another one and watch the geese from that bale[about 40 yds out]  So we grabbed the gun and went over to the bale [truck in full view] and settled in.  I kicked the remote caller in the butt and he said "ouch" then did a 10 second sequence.  37 seconds later my remote caller [waving like a Frenchman telling you how to fly]  whisper's THERE'S 2 COMING AROUND THE BUSH.  Sure enough around a bush 200 yds out come these two coyotes [looked like mom and the kid] in a race.  They came to about 70 yds when they stopped and I put the sights on the pup.  I gently squeezed the trigger and felt the familiar thump against my shoulder.  Donny asked "what the heck [edited] are you doing".  No bang,  I then took the safety off and tried again.

Watched geese for half an hour more and headed home as I had to spray 400 acres 30 miles north of home.  On the way home we encountered another large critter that we managed to dispatch and capture on film. 

Bigest dang skunk I've killed.  We were only about 1/2 a mile from home and I noticed a slight odor coming off Don :puke: :puke:.  Got home and jumped in my KW and headed off to work.  I just took off north and made it about a mile when my cell phone rang and it was the love of my life. She wanted to discuss my heritage, intelligence, dog houses and the fact she was never cooking for me again. I accidently hit the end button and continued on to spraying thinking she's young she'll get over it.

FinsnFur

LOL!
Thanks for sharing that.
Nice play by play, very nice :yoyo:

I'm still chuckling over him shouldering that skunk :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

That is a GREAT story!   :roflmao:  Nice skunk.  I can't IMAGINE what the little lady was complaining about.    :roflmao:

pitw

Thanks to alscalls I can go fishing now.  Got home at dark last night only to have the loving lady say that a coyote had taken one of her old laying hens.  I was planning on leaving to go fishing today but she said "not until you do something about the coyotes.  I got the boat hooked up and truck packed then had Mandy drop me off 1/4 mile from the house.  I was sitting here

I took out the little call from Al and blew a very short series and 1 minute later I saw a coyote leaving the bush 400 yds away and heading in.  He had to cross a little valley so I couldn't see him but knew where he would top out on the hill so I was ready when he topped the hill at 135 yds and came to a stop.  I eased back on the trigger with my hole finger and Bang he fell out of site. 

Nice big dog weighed in at 36lbs and Amanda is going to open him up to see if he has any chicken parts in him.

Thanks for the great freebie call Al.  I can leave to go fishing now[probably was not the guilty one but the wife, Amanda and the boys can check the traps I set and shoot any that come in] so you all have a great day.
P.S.  Al can you build me another 3-4 of those calls that are small and sound good.
Barry

possumal

Great story, great pictures!  Yote has a nice looking pelt too.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

iahntr

Come on, you bein shy, or does somebody need practice on centering the target in the frame takin pics??  :eyebrow:  :laf:
Good lookin yote, nice job!

and man that was a big skunk! can't believe he threw it over his shoulder like that  :laf: :laf:
and I can just hear your wife too!  :roflmao:
Scott

Okanagan

Those are great stories and really unusual photos of the old school house early in the thread.  Good reading all the way.

alscalls

Sorry so long on the reply........PC problems again. I think I got er fixed now.
Awsome huntin........I am finally comming off the overtime so I can get caught up with ya on the calls. :wink:
That little call is a keeper for sure. :eyebrownod: Great story...... :yoyo: :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

Quote from: pitw on September 30, 2008, 10:11:30 AM
  I was planning on leaving to go fishing today but she said "not until you do something about the coyotes. 

Awww c'mon do I have to? :laf: :laf:
Thats too cool :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Frogman

Wow!  That's a nice coyote.  Good shootin.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

securpro

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

pitw

Had time for a 15 minute call on my way to a customer's today and used the little call once more.

I was sitting/standing behind the bale at the top of picture by the bush.  Blew a short sequence and looked to my left and he was already at 50 yard's.  Busted :hahaha:.  He ran over to this spot and stopped for a look see at what had spooked him. :rolleye:  Mistake.

possumal

Good deal, nice yote, good pictures. Thanks for sharing!  :congrats: :congrats:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

coyote101

Way to go.  :highclap: :highclap: Congratulations and thanks for the pictures.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Thought he was gone :sneer:
Nice shootin bud :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

alscalls

I should recall that call....it actually works. :laf: