• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Educated coyotes?

Started by Rich, June 14, 2007, 07:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

Can coyotes learn to associate certain sounds and or odors with danger? Some folks don't think so.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

KySongDog

:roflmao:   :roflmao:   Hey, I think your on to something here!  Heck, Randy Anderson even sings to 'em........."Come little coyote come......"    :roflmao:  And sure enough, one runs right up to the video camera!   :roflmao:

Bopeye

That is downright funnier than heck........... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Reminds me of someone....... :wo: ...........I can't say......... :nono:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

keekee

Rich,

I haft to ask what the reason was for this post? What are your thoughts on this? You have my attn!

Brent

Rich

Brent,
I was wrong to put that recording on the board.  It  started on another board, and that is where I will now leave it. I edited the link out of my post, and I apologize for any problems it may have caused.
Foxpro Field staff

possumal

Hey Rich: You howling, squalling rascal. I thought that thing was like a cartoon. I thought it was funny as hell. :congrats:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

keekee

Well what are your thoughts on this Al? Do you get the chance to hunt these urban Coyote?

Brent

keekee

Rich,

That was a honest post, I would love to hear your views on urban coyotes. And hear your experince on them as well.

Brent

canine

Did someone throw a sucker punch :iroll:

JD

ohiobob

Shit I WISH I knew what was going on ??? Cartoons and sounds ???
oh well I figure I can learn something about odors and smell ? :confused:
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

Rich

"That was a honest post, I would love to hear your views on urban coyotes. And hear your experince on them as well."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kee,
You will see very few of my posts that are NOT honest. I have zero experience in calling city coyotes. Your friend was also a friend of mine until recently. His knowledge concerning calling coyotes whether they be City coyotes or  WILD is not in question. His ego and attitude toward others is the problem. Is this post honest enough for ya?
Foxpro Field staff

possumal

Quote from: keekee on June 15, 2007, 09:59:32 PM
Well what are your thoughts on this Al? Do you get the chance to hunt these urban Coyote?

Brent

Brent: I guess it depends on what defines an urban coyote. If it is coyotes that run around within the city limits, like they do in some of the towns in Arizona and other states, turning over garbage cans and eating fido's food, I haven't had any experience hunting them. I did advise a neighborhood association in Lexington that trapping them alive and turning them loose out in the country would not work, and it did not as I advised. They were paying the trappers $100.00 a head and those coyotes were just navigating right back to where they were born, raised, and trapped.  Hard telling how many times they paid $100.00 for the same coyotes. It appears to me that in those areas where coyotes run around in the city limits, they get less sensitive to human smell as the humans offer no threat to them. They remind me more of scavengers, stray dog behavior, looking for a meal anywhere they can get it.  Now, if an urban coyote is one who lives on farms touching the city line, I have killed quite a few of them, and they reacted much like any wild coyote I have dealt with.  I have posted my opinion many times that I think Eastern coyotes are smarter and harder to hunt than Western coyotes, and I continue to believe that.  Their native intelligence may be about the same, but the college they attend is a lot different. :confused:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

RShaw

Possumal,

You have spoke earlier about  trappers catching coyotes alive. Do you mean they used foot traps or nonlethal cable restraints? How exactly did they go about it?

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

possumal

Quote from: RShaw on June 16, 2007, 10:54:26 AM
Possumal,

You have spoke earlier about  trappers catching coyotes alive. Do you mean they used foot traps or nonlethal cable restraints? How exactly did they go about it?

Randy

The traps I saw up there looked like a big version of the traps used to catch raccoons and the like. The coyote goes in so far and then can't get out.  If I can find the newspaper article about it, I'll post the pictures. Big old woven wire contraption, bigger on one end where the coyote ends up trapped.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Rich

RShaw ,
I know a little bit about the coyote live market, and how these coyotes are caught.  Very few men in the live market business use cage traps for coyotes.  I was taught how to set up snares with deer stops, so that snare would not close to a loop smaller than 3" or a little more. You have to do it in fairly open area where coyote can't get entangled in brush so he chokes down.  Keeping the snares out away from the fences is also important.  Some trappers use padded jaw foot hold traps too, but the snare method seems beter to me. I could find no legal way to do the live catch thing here in Iowa, so I never used the method to it's fullest. I did set up the snare lines, but I skinned all of the coyotes I caught. Very deadly way to catch coyotes.
Foxpro Field staff

possumal

RShaw: Rich could be dead on right about how they caught some of these up in Lexington. The big old cage traps were the only ones I saw up there, but they may have transferred the yotes somehow into them.  What Rich says would have to be easier for the trappers, but I am not sure which method they used. The only thing I am sure of is that catching them and turning them loose 8 or 10 miles out in the county didn't work worth spit.  Once they changed the specs, and made sure they were permanently removed, the problem disappeared in the subdivision.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Rich

possumal ,
The guys in live market business do in fact transfer the trapped or snared coyote into a holding pen, where they are fed and watered until they have enlugh coyotes to call in a buyer or in some cases the trapper loads his cage onto a trailer and takes his coyotes to the buyer. You may have seen the holding pen?
Foxpro Field staff

possumal

Rich: That could be. It kind of reminded me of those wire fish baskets that you hang over the side of the boat, only much, much bigger. I'll try to dig the newspaper pictures up if I can find them in the Lexington Herald Leader archives.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

possumal

Rich: No luck on recovering the photos from the Lexington Herald Leader archives, as they don't keep any pictures in there. However, I talked to a guy who lives up there, who was a member of the neighborhood association, and he said those were some kind of holding pen they had been transferred to before taking them out in the county to release.  He was pretty sure they used some kind of snare like you were talking about that would not kill the coyotes or anything else that got snared.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

RShaw

I was just wondering if they used something different than I do. All the coyotes I catch are alive when I get there. At least for a little while. I am in the dead market business. There are 6 running pens within 20 miles of my house and I have supplied a few coyotes to them just using my regular foot traps. In my opinion, it would be very difficult to get a coyote to enter a cage trap of any kind. I don't mind crowding them, but that is a little too much.

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.