• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Black Coyote

Started by JohnP, September 18, 2009, 10:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

In all my years of calling I have never seen a black coyote.  I'm interested in any sightings you guys may have had of any.  I would really like to get one before I hang my guns up. Have gun will travel.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

I've seen one.  It lived in the edge of Vernon, BC for two winters that I know of during the early-80's.  Most of the coyote hunters knew about it and I saw it a few times on snowy fields.  Too mixed in with houses and small fields on the edge of town to legally shoot a firearm.  Don't know if any bow hunters tried for it but I never heard of anyone killing it.  There seem to be more black ones in the southeastern US.

Smith

I have seen 2. One was dang near jet black, I was feeding cows and I couldn't get my truck stopped fast enough to get a shot. The following year I jumped one while moving a bunch of cows. It was a charcoal color, I tried like heck to run him down horseback and get a rope on him but he had too much of a lead on me. I haven' seen one since. That has been 6 years ago.
I have however caught one with a rope before :nono:....gets pretty western in a hurry :laf:.

Lucas
Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...

alscalls

I have seen one while hunting......Very brief and no way I could shoot.......Seen another one while driving to my uncles farm And of course we got a real good look at it as we were not allowed to hunt there..... :laf: :laf:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

centerfire_223

Come on out to South Carolina. I have had pretty good luck with them around here. I have called up a total of 7 of them. Though they are not an everyday sight but I do get at least one a year.

One morning I called up two on different farms. Choked the shot on the second one but did manage to get one of them. I have plenty of pictures if anyone is interested.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

vvarmitr

Mr. Black Coyote Magnet  ^^^^^^^  :iroll:
:laf:

Quote from: centerfire_223 on September 19, 2009, 04:51:14 AM
I have plenty of pictures if anyone is interested.
Hmmmmm? :wo:  Do ya really think anyone would be interested on this forum?  :doh2:
Maybe we should take a poll?  :shrug:
:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

Bills Custom Calls

I have seen one here and I didn't even have a gun or a camera and heard talk of another one about 20 miles from me
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

KySongDog

Check out this thread, John.   Several pics of black coyotes there.

http://finsandfur.net/forums/index.php?topic=6959.0

JohnP

WOW Semp that's a nice looking black one.  CF.223 I have a good friend near Ft Jackson that I haven't seen  in years may have to go visit.  Are you  near there? 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

centerfire_223

I don't know exactely where Fort jacson is at but I don't think it is to aweful far. Heck one end of the state to the other is only 5 hours.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

possumal

Seems like there was a black one posted on here about a year ago, maybe CCP?  I have seen one solid black coydog I couldn't get a shot at, and a black coyote I killed.  The picture doesn't do it justice as it appears dark grey.  It was black as hell lying on the snow.  Here he is:

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Carolina Coyote

Fort Jackson is near Columbia about a 2 1/2 hr  drive from Ronnies.cc

FinsnFur

centerfire_223 is still wearing the Championship belt for black coyotes.
In fact before your time JohnP, there was quite a comical commotion going on in here as one of the call makers that was providing centerfire_223 with custom calls, decided to name the one that was calling all the black coyotes, the "crackpipe". :roflmao:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

centerfire_223

I named that call Jim.  :eyebrownod: 

That call has called up coyotes from New Mexico to South Carolina. That is one AWESOME sounding call.

I was going to show a picture of it but I can't find photobucket. Is it still there?
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

possumal

Yeah, still there. The picture of the black coyote I posted was on there.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Smith

Quote from: possumal on September 19, 2009, 04:39:50 PM
Seems like there was a black one posted on here about a year ago, maybe CCP?  I have seen one solid black coydog I couldn't get a shot at, and a black coyote I killed.  The picture doesn't do it justice as it appears dark grey.  It was black as hell lying on the snow.  Here he is:

That looks exactly .like the one I tried to rope!!

Lucas

centerfire_223

He would be easy for you to rope now.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

weedwalker

Ronnie, You got some pics of black ones? Let's see 'em.

Smith

Quote from: centerfire_223 on September 20, 2009, 05:30:58 AM
He would be easy for you to rope now.

Not as fun now though :laf:.

Lucas

centerfire_223

Ronnie Cannon

------------->-